Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sacroilliac Joint Dysfunction

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671

This is my first time on any sort of forum. I am 29 years old, never had any health problems, but during my 7th month of pregnancy, I started having excruciating back pain. I mean it was so bad I actually felt like my spine was going to snap from all the pain and pressure.

After I gave birth about 11 months ago, I was diagnosed with an SI Joint Dysfunction. I have tried chiropractic care, Physical Therapy (although I think it was a bad place to choose when I look back), neuromuscular therapy, pilates one on one for my injury, and nothing is helping. I am feeling really hopeless lately and very bummed out. I dont knwo what to do.

Has anyone ever dealt with something like this? if so, any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,

• I have had SI joint problems after having kids too! Mine really went crazy after I slipped stepping into a swimming pool with my 6 month old in my arms. I landed on the step on one hip, which torqued my pelvis pretty bad. Then, I had gastric bypass several years later and my muscles are just kaput, so the laxness hasn't helped that whole area.

I've had SI joint steriod injections (ESI) but they didn't help with the pain. PT therapy made it feel better when I did the exercises and the PT showed me a way to lay on my side and twist and hold the upper leg around the bed post with the lower leg held back to put my SI joints into place...if that makes sense. It did sometimes make a pop, not the same as popping your knuckles, but a dull pop. It was weird.

Have you had any tests like an MRI or CT scan??? I also ended up having bulging disc in my lumbar and learned only after a myelogram and discogram that I had my L4/L5 disc torn almost in half and had a chunk missing. So you could have other diagnosis that would also hurt in the same way. My pain was always at the top middle of both sides on my hips, that would get worse throughout the day and if I sat for along time or sat on a hard surface.

Now 10 years after that fall and all the shots, PT, on and off again pain, two fusion surgeries, my back is so much better. I don't know if any of it healed my SI joint problems or if my SI joint problems were also affected by the looseness of my L3-L5 vertebras? But the SI joint part is gone now. I still have achiness and little symptoms where I had surgery.

I'm sorry if I rambled some and I hope this helps. I found a lot of SI Joint info on google search and this board using the SEARCH tool. Good luck and I hope you get some relief soon and some answers!
  • Sorry to hear about your SI joint difficulty Yasmine. Maybe its time for you to find a new Physical Therapist. I had trouble with my SI for several years until I finally found the right exercise to get my hips untwisted. I'm not a doctor or a Physical Therapist but I thought I might offer a few suggestions that you could discuss with your PT.
    Has your Physical Therapist done this exercise with you?

evaluation link:

exercise link:

This is what worked for me. It is important to know which knee to push on or one would be futher mis-aligning by pushing on the wrong knee and thereby twisting the wrong way. I have also heard that with pregnancy women have difficulty with a loosening of the SI ligaments so it is best not to try and stretch those ligaments but rather only to try and strengthen them and alow them to tighten up a bit. You might try finding a new Physical Therapist and asking them about those things. And don't despair! My understanding is that this is fixable if you can get the right PT.

I am in no way a medical professional and my posts are based on my own personal experience and/or opinions.
  • Hi,

I know what your going through!!! It's been 2 1/2 years for me of pain. My SI joint is out from a fall/car accident.
    I've tried A LOT of different things as well!! When I was finally diagnosed the doc said the treatmnet for SIJD is to see a chiropractor. I went over 50 times and he wasn't able to get it back. The doc said if the chiropractor wasn't able to get it after that many times then he won't be able to get it.Is your SI out,unsteady,inflammed? Have you tried steriod with freezing injections into the SI joint?
    I've done physio,massage,reflexology,accupuncture,spinal injections,SIJ injections and now Botox with Caudal injections. Plus I do daily exercises and stretches.Another site I found that has ONLY people with SIJD is

Hope that helps. It has links to exercises for SIJD.

Always talk with your treating doctor.My post is based on my own personal experience.
  • Wow! Thank you guys for all the great advice! I am seeing a new chiropractor now but he also does physical therapy, neuromuscular therapy, massage, strengthening, and he has so many different machines that do different types of traction as well. Once again I am going 3x a week starting this week and I will be doing it for 8 weeks. He said he could help me, as did every doctor I've seen for this before. I'm sorry to say, but I am beginning to feel like doctors make a business out of sick people. They just want you to keep coming back forever. I really hope this new chiropractor can help me. He has pretty much every modality out there for back problems so maybe a combination of different things may be the answer. I can only hope.

I feel totally handicapped. I cant care for my 11 month old properly, I cant do day to day house things, my whole life has changed because of this. Its very depressing, and demoralizing, going from doctor to doctor, 3-5x a week, and seeing no results. Insurance doesnt cover much so I've blown through my savings and am piling up tons of medical debt now.

This chiropractor told me that along with my SI Joint Dysfunction, I have a messed up piroformus muscle, sciatica, pinched nerves in my neck, and maybe a bulging disc. I am taking copies of my xrays and MRI to him tonight. If this doesnt work after 8 weeks, I will find a better Physical Therapist and give that another shot.

I just want to get better and have my life back. Are any of you guys that have this problem taking any medications for this pain? My doctor has given me pain medicine that I have to take on a daily basis just to function. Otherwise it hurts and burns and I feel so much pressure, its terrible, I cant drive, sit, hold a conversation, without crying. Ugh, it just sucks.
  • Yasmine
    I really hope this chiropractor and others help you. Just take it one session at a time.I have piroformus muscle problems as well. I know exactly how you feel about wanting your "old" life back!!I also take medications for the pain and spasms. I have the same problems with the standing,sitting,walking ETC......it's not nice. Days that I feel really bad I still try to stay positive. I believe in positive thinking and the bodies response. Don't get me wrong I have days of bad frustration too because of things taking so long to get better.