Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My lumbar MRIs.

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
6 weeks ago my butt started hurting. 2 weeks later it got worse so went to doctor. Took MRIs. After 6 weeks I finally got an appointment with a neurologist in another 2 weeks. So since i have to wait, I got the MRI images and figured I do a little research. The pain is better since the MRIs but has defintely not gone away. I've actually had days with little to no pain although I have to be careful how I bend. Guess what I'm wondering is what are my options at this point? Should I wait and allow it to reabsorb? Should I see a Chiropractor? Can they help with the buldges above the herniation? Just want to know the score before seeing the neurologist.

• I prefer physical therapist.
  • Do not see a chiroprictor! I suspect that I got where I am now because I was seeing one and he failed to give me any good advise. Wait till your appointment. In a mean time
    1) do not do any forward bending (when you need to pick up things) 2) limit your sitting, 3) when sit - sit tall and use a towel behind your back 4) do not sit on soft surfaces such as sofa 5) walk as much as you can w/o pain and try to walk soft with shock absorption 6) McKenzi extentions are generally safe but you might want to see a doctor first. You can try to lay in prone position and see how you feel.
  • I didn't know what the rules are, but pain management dr advised me to stop seeing a chiro. This made sense because I had a herniated disc, and the chiro was treating me for tight pirformis. Wrong treatment.
  • I do all those things. I refuse to lift anything heavy. I do only things that don't hurt. I walk a lot! Yeah, and chiropractors scare me a little. Had a bad experience with one many years ago. I can lay flat on my back. My bed is quite hard. Really helps.

The most challenging thing is putting my socks on in the morning!
  • For your sock problem, you could use one of this thing to help you. I got mine at the hospital, but you can ask your doctor about it or you can make one yourself.

Place the sock at one end, slip your foot in and pull the rope.

As for the disc, you can try by stretching on a high pole, and it will straighten the back, hopefully the disc will 'return' back to space. I am not a doctor, just based on my experience. It did help me for 2 years before I had surgery.

Best of luck to your appt.
  • The Chiropractor wouldn't touch my herniated disc however they did give me TENs and that felt good. You can ask your PCP if you can have a massage. But heat was good for me 20 minutes on about 1 times a day. I'm hoping my herniated disc gets better on it's own if you can afford the time. But more injections tomorrow for me to help reduce the swelling from the pain management Dr. I also found a cane helped also as well as a coccyx cushion for sitting. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I'm willing to live with moderate pain and inconvenience as long as I know I'm improving. That's the big question though. Pain jumps around so much that it can be hard to guage. Right now I'm taking two 800mg ibuprofens a day. One early in the morning and one mid afternoon. They seems to last me about 8-12 hours.

The big problem with the web is there are so many chiropractors using it. I just don't know whether to believe anything they say. For example, do ruptures really reabsorb into the body after time? Or is that extremely rare and they advertise that to drum up business. Because I'm all for reabsorbtion unless the process takes 20 years!
  • My pain doctor told me that a bulging disc can heal itself, especially if you are relatively young. I am 39 and she was hopeful. At the end, my bulging disc was large and the pain was off the chart. I couldn't eat, sleep, work...

I ended up having surgery because the bulging disc caused nerve damage.

But the bottom line is yes the disc can heal itself. If you can wait without compromising your nerve, wait it out.
  • looking at you MRI .i think that you are going to require surgery .keep away from chiropractors with that amount of damage to you spine .its a considerable amount of tissue in to you spinal canal by the look of things and you also have a slight bulge further up . have you read the consultants radiographers report?
  • Geez, who knows. The radiologist report said herniation, stenosis, budging, etc. Saw the NS on Thursday. He said it wasn't that bad. Said he didn't recommend surgery. He was mostly concerned if it was getting better, and honestly it is. Not 'omg, i feel great' better. But 2 200mg ibu's per day make it very managable.

What do I think? I think it looks terrible. I think it looks like it should hurt way more than it does. But I definitely don't want to push surgery if the NS doesn't agree. And the weird thing about my pain is it's a mind game. Some days I feel great, as long as I don't do anything stupid. But it has its flareups and I think, "Holy smokes, this has to come out."

The ultimate deciders are whether I can manage the pain for a year and whether I'm causing irreversible damage. I have no numbness and no weakness and I've reduced my ibu from 2400mg/day to 400mg/day to avoid internal problems. As far as managing the pain, I'm pretty tough. I had one 'hello jesus' moment last week at the Walmart parking lot when I got off my motorcycle. My bad. I've learned I have to park away from the front door, get off slowly, and keep my leg bent for about 10 seconds until the little throbs clear, then put it down. Mornings have gotten better. No more, "why am I still alive?" haha.

This forum has given me incredible insight and has helped me with my decision. It helps me guage my level of pain and what the consequences of surgery could be. I see it this way. I believe two years from now, if I don't have surgery, my rupture will mostly reabsorb into my body and I wont have to contend with possible scar tissue complications. There's also the risk of a botched surgery. Or worse a seemingly good surgery but the pain reemerges worse than before. I don't want to ever post, "I should never have had that surgery!"

I'm also thinking of myself as a lab experiment. If on my 46th birthday I feel perfectly good, I'm going to have another MRI done. I'll pay for it myself if I have to. I want to know how my body fixed itself.