Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Having Surgery tomorrow

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
Going to get Micro tomorrow. Was hoping to get some thoughts from those of you that have had it.

What is the pain like in the insicion area ?

I currently have an 8 to 9 in my butt and down the leg...with vicodin 10mg/325 it cuts it down to a 4 or 5.

I am hoping that the butt and leg pain is gone when I wake up...but want to know what to expect on the cut pain.

• I don't have any experience with what you're having done, but just wanted to say good luck with your surgery. Everything will go just great and you'll be on the road to recovery soon.

Take care.
  • In my case it really hurt for just a few days. Waking up from surgery was the worst, but it got better every day. After about a week I didn't need pain meds anymore. If your surgeon uses glue to seal the incision, expect some minor itching and irritation until the glue breaks up and falls off. Good luck.
  • This question really cannot be answered as each experience is so individual. Generally speaking, most people do not find it too bad. My incision did not hurt at all and I did not require any pain medication. As a matter of fact, the biggest problem with a discectomy is trying to get the patient to take it easy afterward. After enduring pain for a period of time, and having the pain restrict activities, patients leave the hospital feeling so much better. It is tempting to want to immediately try to do all those things that one hasn't been able to do....If the patient gives in to these urges, he usually ends up regretting it or paying for it down the line.

Hopefully, you too will feel that good, but will be smarter and will remember to follow the surgeon's instructions perfectly. You will remember to avoid any activities that involve bending, twisting, reaching and you will not lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk at the beginning. You will learn to be patient and you will spend your early recovery resting and walking, resting and walking...putting everything else on hold until you are well along in the healing process.

Good luck to you tomorrow. You will be able to handle whatever amount of pain you end up with, and you will be on the road to a successful recovery.
  • Best wishes for your surgery tomorrow!! Please let us know how it goes.
  • I have not had that procedure done, so I cannot comment, but just wanted you to know I will be praying for the best outcome possible.
    Take care,
  • I hope all goes well and I wish you a speedy recovery. Take cccarre.Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • All the best to you on your micro. The incisions pain is not too bad for me. The pain meds took care of that. I pray that you will get instant relief from your current pain.