Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

karebr1kkarebr1 Posts: 26
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in New Member Introductions
I am a 29 year old female that has dealt with back pain now for about 10+ years. I have in these last two years seen a noticeable increase in my pain to wear it has been intolerable. I have in these last two years seen multiple doctors and have had 3 MRI’s and 2 X-Rays, and I apologize in advance if my terms are not correct, I don't have the doctors paperwork with me at this time. What I do know right now is the films and reports have shown degeneration, a tear and protrusion of the disk. I also have arthritis, and narrowing around by the nerve. I have had tightness, tension and pain in my neck, shoulders, upper to mid back. Majority of my pain is in my lower back mostly on my left side through my left hip and radiating down my left leg, and have had 3 episodes where my left foot and 1 time where my right foot has gone numb and had loss of strength that lasted for 2-4 weeks. Again I will have to update this or create a new post when I get my paperwork back from the surgeon in SF that I just recently went too. The overall verdict that I continue to get from all doctors, surgeons, PT that I have seen so far is that I need surgery. I was hoping for the disk-replacement, but from my recent visit the doctor in SF whom specializes in disk-replacement said no, that my back is too far gone-collapsed and recommended that I have the fusion. Now my primary, my pain management and this surgeon all have said the same thing, the sooner the better-why wait! To me this is funny/crazy thing to be said to me. Only because these same doctors (except for this surgeon) all told me I was "too young to have back problems" and then when they finally discovered I was actually telling the truth of my back problems-of my pain, they told me to wait for surgery and threw a bunch of narcotics at me. My husband and I really want to start a family, and I just don't see how with the condition of my back, and all the drugs I take! Is there anyone out there that has been through this, and has any advice to any one of the many topics I have mentioned, it would be much appreciated (sorry I rambled on for so long)? Oh and the meds I take are Oxycontin, Norco, Bacoflen, Gabapentin and Lunesta. I again apologize for the length I have a lot on my mind with this. I have so much going on and so many decisions to make. I am scared, mad, nerve whacked and frustrated, I just don't know what to do anymore or who I am! Thanks for reading! ~X(

• Welcome to Spine-Health. I'm glad you came here searching for answers and support for your condition. It seems L5/S1 is a very common area from what I seen from others on here. That is the area I had and have the most trouble with. I too starting having my worst problems in my early 20's and had fusion with cage, screws and plate done 7/1/08 when I was 30.

I understand the pain and discomfort you are going through and the struggles you are facing just trying to take care of daily life such as work, social life, house work etc. Do you have any children?

What are the treatments that you have tried already? Please feel free to PM me with any questions, comments or just to chat with someone who truly knows what you are feeling and all the obstacles that you are faced with due to this issue.
  • If you want a family I think you would be able to after your surgery. But talk to your Ortho and Gyne/Obstetric Dr about that. I hope you get a 2nd opinion OrthoSurgeon or NeuroSurgeon rather than just your primary and pain management Dr. I hope you get some pain relief soon whatever the plan is. I wish you all the best. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I have had PT but it was actually my last PT that helped me and started my help by demanding that my primary doctor do something because he knew something was wrong, he told me I was not progressing the way I should be and told my docs to get me an MRI, which they didn't want to do. I started with an X-Ray and to my PT it was inconclusive and demanded the MRI which they finally did in 07/07/2007 and that is when they found the disk problems, along with and EKG after that they were giving all kind of meds to me. I have had 3 epidural injections including facet which I had a bad reaction too, it hit my nerve and my BP went through the roof and my Pain Management Dr decided that I don't get them anymore. He has basically told me that I don't have any other options, but I am still waiting for my water therapy and acupuncture to be approved so I will try those first. I was also told by the surgeon in SF to see a psychiatrist for depression before making a decision for surgery. Like I said I have been told by many different Dr's and surgeons that my overall result is surgery, rather I get it now or later it does need to happen. I don't have any kids as of now, but they did say I could possible after the surgery. That was one of my questions, has anybody had kids after fusion and how was it? Thank you for your reply and I will need to learn how to PM, thanks!
  • Thank you and I have had about 6 different Dr's tell me that I need surgery! I don't know where else to go for a 2nd opinion. That is part of the reason why I am here, to ask others for their opinion and then try for myself. Like I stated in my other reply I have had other treatments with no luck, and I am still waiting for a few others to be approved! I really don't want to have any type of surgery, but if it will relieve the pain and get me off most of the drugs that I am currently taking then I think it might be worth it. I appreciate hearing from you and giving your support, and I am open to any other suggestions or comments. Thank you! :H
  • I'm in your boat too. I think a lot of the time Drs don't take young women seriously...which really stinks for us. It's definitely taught me to stand up for myself though LOL. All the Drs I have seen about my back have said that I needed surgery but I was really afraid that if I chose to do it I would be making my future worse...and of course I don't know what will actually happen in the future, but once I researched it all out & made up my mind to go forward with the surgery I have felt so calm about it. -It's really amazing to me since this will be my 1st surgery & I've been freaking out about making this decision for awhile now.

Prior to all my back problems we've been dealing with infertility & now with my back stuff I think we need to adopt (which was actually what I've always wanted to do, but I wanted to try to have bio children too)...I had read somewhere that a lot of women herniate discs in pregnancy, but I haven't talked with my Drs about that yet.

Anyways, I just wanted to let you know that you're not alone.
  • I'm so glad you had such a great PT and they were able to push for the tests and diagnosis. It's a shame when your docs don't listen to you and you suffer in pain for so long until another doc steps up and advocates for you. What surgery are they saying you need? I hope you are able to have children. My kids are my life.

Let me know if you need help with the pm.
  • Good luck with your surgery Erin. I didn't hesistate when it was time for me to schedule surgery either. I knew it had to be done and I was anxious to get it done and over with. The possibility that my quality of life may be improved by surgery was motivation enough for me to have it done. I'm glad you have don't your research and aren't afraid to speak up if you feel you are not getting the quality of care you deserve.
  • Thank you I appreciate your time. I am nervous and hope for my own, but we have discussed surrogacy and adoption. Both of those options are up for financial trouble and I don't have much information on either. We don't want to cross anything off our list just yet, but we are very open to adapt to changes. Thanks again, and I hope everything goes well with your surgery and with your future! :)