Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

BT Meds

veajavveaja Posts: 22
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Pain Medications
My PM doc just started me on oxycontin 20mg 3times a day. It does not last the whole 8 hours as my some of my intestines have been bypassed. I asked him about a BT med. He told me I would not need it. Well I do so I called the office and was told he will not give me anything for BT pain. Do I keep asking or get a new doc?

• Are you getting other meds to help with the pain? Muscle relaxers and nerve pain meds like lyrica, neurontoin, amitriptyline or cymbalta? Are you trying heat or ice also twice a day? I also went to a 2nd opinion pain management Dr and stayed with him not because he changed meds do much as I got a different treatment. I go to my PCP for my pain meds my Pain Management only does injections although now he's letting my Dr try me on cymbalta and wean me off lyrica as I have too much weight gain and drowsiness. But tell your PM Dr that 6 hours after you take the med you're having pain see what he does. If he still doesn't listen make sure you have another Dr willing to take your case. Or maybe get your GI Dr to send him some info to your condition. Good luck. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I do take amitriptyline and zanaflex. I really can't tell they help with the pain. He had me on roxicodone 15mg every 4 hours and switched to oxycontin. The roxicodone really worked. Not sure why he switched. I guess he feels he has to do something everytime I go. Is it wrong to just tell him to put me back on the roxi. I really would rather take something when I have pain instead of taking something round the clock.
  • Drs sometimes don't like being told what to do. You can only tell him that oxcontin only lasts 5-6 hours and see what he says he may give you breakthoguh meds but some Drs like mine only give slow release I take slow release i every 6 hours x4 a day. So I haven't required much btp meds but I do have left over percocets if I need one and my Dr is aware. Drs don't really like to give fast acting drugs due to the addiction factor even if you may take less in equivelancy. You may need to work closely with your Dr reviewing your meds that's their job so don't take it personal just say it only works so long then the pain is excruitiating at at 7 on the pain scale. You can only try then he may even double the dose but if not try to tell him the other med helped once or twice a day for BTP. Good luck and hope it works out for you. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Unfortunately some doc's just wont prescribe anything pass a certain point no matter what the case. I would tell your current doc that you have periods of the day when your pain is out of control and if he says no to a BT med ask him to increase your base med. I would think you should be on percocets or 5mg oxycodone IR if you still have pain. Of course you may have to look for a different doctor for help.
  • Going to different doctors is not a good tactic either. You may find that the grass is not greener on the other side.
    He may have switched you over to oxycontin, which is the same med as roxicodone except it is the extended release medication, which simply means that you have to take it less frequently.
    Most doctors will not prescribe oxycontin more often than three times a day. He may want to increase your base dose though. I would simply tell him that it does not last the 8 hours and ask if it may have something to do with your intestine ? I would not ask for BT meds either ,but ask him what he suggests that you do. Leave the ball in his court.
    Most doctors do not like it when patients tell them what they need, so let him be the doctor.
    Good luck,
  • On how your pain situation is, a Dr. will usually accompany a long acting drug with an immediate release drug. Most of the time. Now you are taking the same medication only now you are taking 60 mgs of long acting as opposed to 90 mg. of immediate release. That's the difference. Also the way the two meds work is different too and the effect will change if you understand what I mean. I'm not you, but if it were me, I would talk to my Dr. about other avenues that would include some type of a BT med. Even hydro 10/325 would probably help you ar staying with the oxy and going with the 5 mg IR. Ask, it never hurts to ask just don't demand.