Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Micro Surgery on L5/S1

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
I am 29 and having surgery on Tuesday. I am would like to get thoughts from people on what to expect and things to do and don't do. I have to tell you I am very excited that I am finally going to get the pain to go away. After doing all the research that I have I am aware that the dull nagging pain down my leg might still be there and since I have been dealing with this for 16 months that is will take a long time for the nerve to calm down. What I am fired up about is the fact that I will hopefully get rid of the extreme stabbing pain that I have now.

I have done everything 2 epidurals, 1 more injection for trigger points, 8 months of PT, Yoga, Chiro, you name it I have done it. I am just really hoping that this will be a final solution so that I can once again play with my daughter pain free.

I am open to any suggestions and advise. I think that this forum will be a good way for me to stay positive when I get down post surgery.

Thanks all.

• all i can tell you is be careful and take it easy until your doctor says it is ok to go forward with any heavier activities . The longer you let it heal the better your chance is that it will no occur again.It is very important that even if you feel good that you wait for the ok to go forward.good luck and i hope it works out good for you
  • You have come to the right place because you will find many knowledgeable people who will support you.

I am recovering from my 2nd microdiscectomy. Be careful and follow your doctor's order during recovery. Check out the PostOP Must Have thread on Back/Neck surgery section. It is very informative and helpful.

Like you, I was very excited to have the surgery because I was in agony. I couldn't sleep, eat, work.....

Your doctor will tell you to avoid bending, lifting, and twisting. Remember no BLT. And no pulling or pushing.

At the hospital, a physical therapist will teach you how to get out of bed or off the couch which I found invaluable. At first, it was scary because I felt pain rolling (as one unit) from the incision site. You will feel some pain at your incision site, but it should subside in a few days (at least for me)

Your doctor will encourage you to walk much as possible but not to the point of overdoing it. You will be asked to walk after the surgery at the hospital.
    I was able to go home when my pain was under control, able to urinate, and walk.

Get a grabber (very helpful). Squat to pick up anything if you must. Get everything off the floor that could trip you. On my first night at home, I tripped on my husband's workbag which also could have reinjured my disc.

Drink plenty of water and take a stool softener so you won't be constipated from the pain meds.

My recovery from my 2nd microdiscectomy is going better than I thought. Perhaps, I am not as fearful as the first time.

Good luck! Keep use posted your recovery! Remember MicroD has 90-95% success rate! The odds are in your favor!

• Im 36 and had a micro on L5-S1 in november 08 doing very well the pain in my legg went away immediatly but i still have tingling in my foot. The doc said it may never go away. I thing i loved was an ice pack 12- 24 inch i found at the local pharmacy kept the pain level way down when i hurt i put ice on my recliner and ahhhhhh. Like lovin said make sure every thing is picked up you dont want to trip walk alot but dont push your self to the point you could trip. I hope you have a succesful surgery.
  • My hospital gave me a jumbo size estimating (16x16) ice pack each time I went in. One is little bumpy. The other one is perfect because it has soft jelly like filling.