Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L4 - L5 L5 - S1 I

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had a TLIF on March 30 Awakened after 6 hours of surgery not being able to see, very scarey. It seems I was either allergic to the tape that was used to tape my eyes shut, or my eyes came open during surgery and the tape scratched my corneas.I spent 6 days in the hospital. I am home and all was fine until this past Friday. I am having extreme right leg pain. Nothing I do helps. I have not slept in 3 days because the pain is so severe. I have Darvocet N and Soma. ANyone else out there have this problem? I have my 20 staples removed tomorrow. I can't wait for this to be over.

• I'm sure you don't need to hear this, but you are still very early in your recovery process. I am sorry you had such a bad time with your vision. That would be terrifying. Fusion is a BIG surgery and it takes a long time for the body to fully recover. Other than open heart surgery, no surgery is any more invasive or difficult to recover from.

Along the way to recovery, there will be a variety of new and recurrent sensations as the nerves adjust and recover from the trauma of surgery. Also, with a fusion you may have had some realignment of the vertebrae which will cause some stretching of the nerves as they exit the central canal. This all results in pain you may feel in your legs.

Obviously tomorrow you will want to tell your surgeon about the pain and the fact that you cannot sleep. Sleep is very important to your healing, so it will want to address that issue. You might want to make a list of questions to ask tomorrow, so you don't leave out any of your concerns.

I'm afraid you have a bit of a wait for "this to be over." Unfortunately, none of us are ever the same after spine surgery.
  • Don't be afraid to tell the doctors that the pain medicine isn't getting the job done. I wouldn't go in asking for a specific medication, but do let them know you are in pain. Once your pain is controlled, your sleep should be better.

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2