Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Home-based jobs

Cath111CCath111 Posts: 3,702
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Water Cooler
Does anybody know of any reputable home-based jobs?

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,836
    Since retiring, I am trying to pick up some part time work.
    I've been going through the papers looking at different jobs.
    I do have a small computer consulting job that if I expanded I know I could pick up many new clients, but I am not sure if thats the path I want to take.
    Most of the ideas I've come up with require on site presence.
    Some of the work at home jobs didnt interest me...
    - Phone calls
    - Mail stuffing
    - etc
    I will look and if I find anything that is a bit exciting I will let you know
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Cath,
    I know you were talking about graphical design stuff, is that working out at all? I started my own photography business and can devote as much/little as I am able into that.
  • Hi Jay and PapaRon.

I'm positive that online work is more available today than ever - why pay for office space, etc?

My ideal situation, of course, is to be able to do graphic design from home for a company that provides benefits. What I do is very quantifiable - it's very easy to see if the job is done and on time.

I agree, PapaRon, that so many of these home-based jobs are very boring, and like you I don't want to stuff envelopes, make phone calls, etc. I appreciate your offer to let me know what you find. I'll do the same for you.

There are many things that can be done remotely, such as design work, photo editing, proofreading, etc. But how do you find them? I would be willing to do something outside my field of expertise, but I can't live with boring.

Jay, I've been battling with myself about doing graphic design freelance. My husband doesn't work for a company that offers any benefits (health insurance being the most important) and I've always been the provider for our benefits. I'm concerned about independent health insurance carriers because I've already been turned down due to my cervical problems, but I haven't explored the situation thoroughly due to having Cobra for now.

Maybe through this thread we can keep each other informed of opportunities, job sites, etc. PapaRon and I can't be the only ones that would like to find a "virtual vocation."

• How is your photography business going?
    As you and Jay were making your posts, something came to mind (Ok, I am a bit slow at times)
    My daughter's full time job is a Production manager for Reader's Weekly. Part of his tasks is the graphic layouts for the magazine. And as any true to the blood graphics designer, she has to do it on a Mac.

She is always looking to augment her income to help pay for the house she rents. She has been making 'books' from family photos. It started out as 3 books for family and friends, but she is looking to expanding that.
    There are several online sites that provide you with the tools to generate your own book. But for many its a big task and they are not sure how to put it together and then spend the money for something that doesnt come out that great.
    So she is putting something together that will provide a service for someone. She will collect all the photos, and then arrange them in a hard bound book with captions, wording, etc. She can do all the art work, but still needs to send it off to the publisher to bind the book.

I think that was a good idea. Hopefully you have seen one of the books that can be made online. She made one about our Italy trip last October. Its great, sits on the coffee table, has about 40 pages of photos and captions.
    Much easier to so then photos, slides or using a computer.

Just a thought
    Gee, my brain is flowing today... hope its going in the right direction!

This one is for me. I love cooking, its a good part of my hobby and enjoyment. I have done all the cooking at home for over 15 years now. Love it , though I hate cleaning and do a nasty job of that.

One of my many speacilties is soups. All kind of soups.
    I have my hearty winter soups to those light fresh summer ones. I am not one for recipes, but instead look at something and feel how I would put it together.

In our lake community there are many working families that when they come home at night dont want to cook, so they either order out or go out for food. At some of the community parties, we talked about soups and stuff. Several couples jumped at the idea and said they would definitely buy soups that I made.

That was several months ago, so now in the beginning of the
    Ron-Retirement era, I beginning to rethink this. I could easily make 2 or 3 soups a week for sale, get the word out, etc.

Just another thought
  • Ron I've seen the books you're talking about I think there's a couple companies that do those. Pretty cool idea.

Cath, I officially started the business last year & took a loss on my taxes, but to be honest things aren't bad. The economy has not helped but I have no debt (at least in the business - ha ha) and can afford to be patient. I did some senior pictures in September and that customer just made a fairly large order last week. I have a studio that I work out of (it is like a co-op) and only pay as I use it. Otherwise I have no overhead, most of the equipment I already owned. I actually set up a booth at the county fair last year which resulted in some direct sales. I do have a real job which pays the bills.

I am on my wife's insurance (she works for local government) and hopefully will be able to only do the photography at some point. The nice thing is that I am able to devote as much or as little time as I want and am not dependent on that income. It is all extra at this point and that's good because I haven't been doing too much lately. The hardest part was actually doing it.
  • ehow.com is a site for How to articles. I earn about $100/mo there with very little effort- if I actually put some effort into it I could make much more. Many people use it as their full time income and make $1k+/ month.
  • Hi, Ron. At Christmas my kids brought home some soup mixes that are sold at a local farmer's market where they live. There are about 20 different ones; each bag holds all the dried veggies, lentils, spices, etc., and the slow cooker recipe is attached (most of them just require broth or water to be added). Just a thought for you!

• I have always loved photography, thanks to my Dad, and would like to have some of my photos printed on canvas to display and sell locally.

My LTD company is balking at this, because apparently if I'm well enough to have someone print photos on canvas, I'm well enough to sit at a desk for seven hours a day!?!?!?

• Tracy,
    I've had the same fear but haven't actually taken pictures of anything for months now...
    That could be a good idea. Some soups I want to do from scratch but there are plenty I could use a starter kit!
    Hope you are doing the best you can
    Has it gotten any warmer up there yet?
    When is your spring?
  • It takes a lot of work to weed out the scams or dead ends but there are a few message boards that make it easier to find work. Just keep in mind when you are looking, no legitimate work at home job should cost you any money.

I currently work at home for www.westathome.com taking orders from customers who call in to a shopping channel and I set my own schedule. I know some people sit at their desk in a recliner or in the comfort of their bed with a laptop.

It's convenient for us because I work when my husband is home to watch our kid and work for as much time as my back can tolerate sitting. I am barely surviving all the pain I am in now and I can hardly walk. So it is overwelming and painful to even think about how hard it would be get me and my uncooperative 2 y/o ready, out the door, into carseat, drive through traffic, drop him off at daycare, go to work and sit all day, drive through more traffic, pick up son, come home, cook, get ready for bed and the next day and finally do all of that five days in a row! Shoot, I'm exhausted just to type all that information!

So this job has made life easier on my family and me and as long as I work my handful of hours a month and provide good customer service I have a job. So if you are interested in some of the WAH meassage boards that I frequent, feel free to pm me.
  • oh wow I found a spam post here from 2009 lol

If anyone is still interested in this subject. I will take the time (with permission) to dig up and post some links/info that I have checked into for myself that are on the up & up. I have it all saved on CD, so I will need some time to find the info.

*Note - I have to check with Ron and see if this is allowed first.
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.