Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Buying medical insurance

tamtamttamtam Posts: 2,749
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Health Insurance Issues
I want to see if anyone has bought private medical insurance since having fusion surgery? If so who is the carrier and what kind of deductibles are you carrying? I been applying for medical insurance as my Cobra is expiring at the end of the month. I don't qualify for a time extension and not part of the new laws passed this year for extension. My Job was lost in before september of 08. I keep getting turned down due to my fusions. The only policy I can get as a state run program for those that are uninsurable. The rates are double my current policy with deductibles high deductibles. The way the rate schedules and deductibles are set up I would never be able to afford to use the insurance. All of the applications are coming back with denials do to my fusion surgeries. So I'm curious to hear from others what you are doing. Thanks in advance for your help.

• Tam, we've already spoken about this, but I'll chime in for other's benefits.

I private pay my insurance policy. I was denied regular coverage so thankfully legislation forced insurance companies to provide insurance to otherwise uninsurable people.

This medical pool is mandated by the state but actually goes through regular insurance carriers. For example, my policy is a Blue Cross policy.

Basically it is no good for anything unless there is something major, hence it is called Major Medical Insurance. $3,000 deductible then goes to 80/20 up to $5,000 out of pocket per calendar year. Once I reach $5K out of pocket it goes to 100% coverage. however, no dental, vision, or prescription coverage. I pay $300 per month.

Since all my neck stuff is covered by workers comp right now, I am throwing that $300 per month away, but without it if something major happens I will be bankrupt. You gotta love the health insurance situation in the US.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Wow, didn't know that. What are people supposed to do if they can't work, have no insurance, and need medical care? I thought the medical benefits was one of the main reasons people apply for ssdi. I'm surprised this waiting period is in effect, but then again, why should I be surprised? That would be the first item on my agenda for lobbying if I were in Congress.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • No Paul I'm not on SSDI but have recently applied. I had been holding out that things were going to get better. I have already passed the waiting period for insurance since my disability date is jan of 07. But there is no guarantees that I will get it. I'm very concerned right now about carrying just major medical as i need some surgery on my legs to keep me walking. But that will not happen with that policy as I don't have any income now and living on savings. I will have to take that policy as i'm not willing to chance going without medical insurance. The way I understand it if I don't take that policy now, will then have to go through waiting period and will have pre-existing condition against me. Since I have been paying cobra all this time and have letter for it, there is no pre-existing on the state mandate program, just rates through the ceiling.
  • I am sorry that I don't know anything about buying private medical insurance. I just wanted to post my caring support for you. I am sorry that you are in this position. It just doesn't seem right that this happens to people in the United States. It isn't fair that you can't get ins., because you have health issues. It seems so ironic and crazy. I hope that you find some form of insurance, and I hope that you can get those legs working well for you. You have been through way too much to have this added stress!

I am praying for you, Tam !!

lots of hugs, glo :)