Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ALIF L3-L5 and Posterior Decompression L2-L5 nad Fusion w/instrumentation

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am having the above listed surgery done May 7th at Hoag Hospital in Orange County. I am not really sure what to expected after the surgery. I have had a double discectomy and fusion on my neck and that was very successful. Can anyone give me some advice as to what to expect after the surgery when I get home. I am by myself and have really know one to help.

• I had PLIF L3-5 using my own bone, with decompression, instrumentation, and laminectomy last Monday. I was in the hospital until Thursday afternoon. By the time I was released, I could basically care for myself (sort of), but let me tell you I was very grateful to have my husband at home the entire weekend. You will be very tired and very sore. The only thing I needed that I didn't already have was a "reacher". It helps pick things up off the floor. This site is invaluable. Search through the old threads and you will learn a lot. Let me or anyone on the board know if you have specific questions! Welcome to the community.
  • Thanks for the info twocat. I am being told that it is a five hour procedure and I will be in the hospital for five days. They have to go through the front and back.
  • And I think if you have a friend or someone that can come and stay a few days it would be good. If not, make sure you have the stool riser, grabber, a bedside tray, a pad of paper and pen and maybe a basket to keep your meds in , something to keep drinks bedside, cause you wont feel like getting up and down alot, and a tray for walker, cause you wont be able to use walker and carry sttuff at same time. There is a post that has suggestions for things you need. It is valuable info. But I would definitently have someone the first couple days. Its hard to get up and down and almost impossible for you to turn yourself in bed. Hope this helps.
  • I had ALIF/PLIF last July and completey agree with the suggestions above. Be sure to go to the "post-op must-haves" list on this forum - it is wonderful! And yes, you will absolutely want someone with you for at least that first week at home. Talk to your doctor to see what options there might be for help at home if you do not have friends or family there to help you. Be sure to let him know you are alone so they don't send you home before you can do things for yourself if there are not good options for help at home. I had the anterior surgery on a Monday and the posterior on Wed and went home on Friday. I needed help turning over in bed, showering, etc. etc. etc. for the first week or so after I got home.