Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Today is the big day!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,622
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:30 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
At 2:00 PM I see my surgeon for a follow up evaluation of my herniated discs in my neck. Two weeks ago while on dexamethasone I saw him for the first time for a second opinion. He said his findings did not warrant immediate surgery and he will see me after I am off them. Well today, one week off them and no pain killers, I have little to no pain in the original areas (Left shoulder blade, tricep, elbow and forearm) and have regained some of the lost strength, not much but definitely some.

I am scared to death because I have felt some weird sensations in my right arm (shoulder) over the last few days like unsteadiness when I lift my arm. In addition, my right leg numbness and irritability has been driving me crazy for over two weeks now. It only goes away at night in bed or when I ride my stationary bike (is this weird?)

Oh yea, has anyone here ever fully recovered from a bad cervical herniation before without surgery.

Thanks for listening and wish me luck!

By the way, I’m new here but you guys are a great support!
advertisement

Comments

• Good luck, Shamrock.

Cath
  • Yea, the Dexamethasone was masking the original symptoms but I have been off it a week now. the new symptoms started while on it. I have been told it is "Whitecoat Syndrome" and anxiety is possibly the cause for all of it. I developed the right leg numbness two and a half weeks ago and the right arm symptoms just this Monoday. How could all original symptoms exept some weakness go away and a list of new ones appear when you do nothing. Oh yea, I already lost 13 lbs and I only started at 150. Stress can do a job on ya!

I will inform all what my surgeon says.

Could severe anxiety and stress really cause massive symptoms :?
  • after all tests, he determined I am the same as two weeks ago. He also said surgery was MY decision and with the size of the herniation it can only help. I was also interested in the fact that he said I would not at all notice a loss in mobility after surgery (Only C6-7 btw). He said my current health is on my side big time. All that waits now is to schedule. I will be canceling my appt with Surgeon #1 tomorrow and no surgery on Monday. I am pretty sure I will be having it done soon with Surgeon #2 (Todays). I am lucky to have found him, He is EDITED, New york Mag, Neuro Surgeon of the year 2004-2008. There is something assuring about a doctor who has a picture of the president giving him an award behind his desk.

I will most likely be a regular part of this new found home and will keep all updated!!!!

Doctors name and contact details removed by forum Moderator (paulgla). We do not permit publishing specific doctor's or institution names and contact details.
  • I'm glad you found a surgeon you are comfortable with. That is very important. As Eve said...you will find lots of help here. Yes, those bendy straws are VERY important :))) BTW I replied to your PM. Feel free to PM anytime. Take care.
  • Got plenty! I have a three and a half year old boy at home so we will be fighting ove those. I also have a few with loopdy loops in them :D . I am a little concerned about the C5-6 level, there is a mild herniation there but the surgeons ALL said they don't see a need to fix it. He did tell me if I want he could take care of it while he is in there???? How do you take that??? Do any of you guy have mild herniations above or below surgery sites before surgery that they leave alone????

man this stuff is complicated, I need to get back to work. I am a friggin workahaulic, so the after surgery time will EAT ME UP. I have not been able to slow down since I was borne 34 years ago.
  • I have a bulge in c4-5 that they left alone. I guess I may eventually need that one taken care of if it gets worse. That's one of my questions for my surgeon the next time I see him...what my chances are of needing further surgery.

Prepare yourself with lots of books & movies. I NEVER sat still for long before my surgery & it is difficult. The good thing is they encourage you to walk ,walk, walk so I have been doing a lot of that.
  • I've also been a constant mover and settling down after surgery wasn't too difficult at first because you feel like you've been hit by a Mac truck. It's when you start feeling better that it gets difficult and is easy to overdo.

Personally, since I love puzzles and games, I found that my Nintendo DS was my savior. It kept my mind active without any BLT.

Take care and good luck.
    Cath
  • Hi Shamrock...

I am so glad you went and had a 2nd opinion. I first went to an OS, and it completely freaked me out when he told my my diagnosis and recommended surgery. I immediately scheduled a 2nd opinion with a NS. The neuro had been recommended by a couple of different people. It took no time at all for me to feel more comfortable with him that I had with the OS, even though he told me the exact same things. I went with him for surgery and haven't been sorry.

I also understand what you mean about getting back to work. I was feeling really good a week after surgery and it was soooooooooo hard to sit still. I had a hard time having all the time in the world to get things done around the house and not being able to do it. I fought against the urge to do too much (most days), and I think I will be thankful that I did. I have read several good books, done word searches, watched TV/movies, and I walk every day (weather providing).

Good luck with your surgery! Please keep us posted.

Tina
advertisement