Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
Hi all. Been reading here for a couple days and this seems like a wonderful place for the support I'm needing. I have been in pain for months now. I have no insurance so I sucked it up and went about my business, working two jobs and raising my 8 year old daughter. I'm 27 and a single mom. I have gone to the doctor's finally (last week) and he sent me for an ultrasound of my kidneys - thought i had stones or something. No stones. Prescribed me 21 hydrocodone 5/500 which are almost gone at this point. I suffer all day until I can get home and take one and have a little relief.
The pain is mostly in my upper middle back between my shoulder blades. Some days it's in my lower back and feels like something is digging into my colon / intestines? Those days I also have sciatic pain shooting down my leg every ten seconds and my foot goes numb.
My doctor will not do anything else for me - says no point to an X-Ray and I can't afford an MRI. I told them to just go ahead and prescribe the MRi and I will figure it out - I can't live like this anymore. Worked 14 hours yesterday and cried for 8 hours of the day.
He won't do it. Being as i don't have insurance - where do I go next? A chiropractor? A pain doctor? Another PCP? Sliding fee scale clinic?
Need to mention I was on depoprovera for 6 years of my life as well, never told about risk of osteoporosis, but worried about this now. Should I get a bone density scan?
I don't know what to do just know that i feel alone and miserable and hopeless and i just want to lay in bed and cry.

• I will start looking into that - i feel like all the options are a well-guarded secret and i can't get any information on help i can receive so thanks for the info!!!!
  • It takes a lot of courage to get through what you have had to get through. I can feel the heartache you have, at least a little, behind your words. Just know that someone called the "Ultimate Doctor" for you....in other words, know someone is praying for you. Hang in there...you are not alone.
  • You can't lose hope. been dealing for 9 years with and without insurance, there's always a way. YOu gotten good advice already on where to start looking. But you have to keep the faith, trust me it worse without it! Good luck and God bless
  • Since I don't know which state you are in, I can's say for sure if this is an option but maybe worth a try.

You mentioned an 8 year old daughter. If her school has a social worker that person might be able to help you get started. Sometimes a school social worker is easier to get an appt. with than one in a social services agency. Also, some agencies like Lutheran or Catholic social services might have staff who could help you find medical services. I also wondered if you have been to the ER and if your hospital's social worker could help you? Someone above mentionned community health clinics - that might be a good option, also.
  • Thanks for the ideas. I will call Catholic Charities today. We do not have any community health clinics unfortunately that I know of. Not sure about a social worker at the school, I have no knowledge of one, but will check into that. Also had no idea that the hospital would have one. Thanks for the info. Pain is a little better today, about a 6, which is a great relief. Unfortunately, I work both jobs today, so that's 14 hours straight and at the end of that I know i'll be miserable. We do have a physiatrist up the street but from what i've heard he's pretty expensive and has no sort of charity program or financial assistance. I guess I could call and find out though. I know a chiropracter I was going to call, not sure if that should be my next step though.
    Thank you all for your help and you'll all be in my prayers. I admit, I always thought people complaining of back pain were full of it until i experienced it myself. Now I know that it affects every aspect of your life and it HURTS like you know what.
    So glad I found this site.
  • Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!
  • Unfortunately, there has been little progress unless we are talking progression of pain ~X( Partly my own fault, as I can't seem to find the motivation to deal with the doctors and the attitudes I get with no insurance. Partly because I am in the middle of moving - I bought a house, which is exciting, but I am so tired and in so much pain from all the work of painting and moving and blah blah blah. I'm feeling very irritable and depressed today. I have had depression issues in the past and been on antidepressants and do not want to go that route again. I am off all meds right not except for Hydrocodone 7.5/750 which was prescribed at an Urgent Care Clinic where I tried to get some answers and help. Still nothing. I work 14 hours today and tomorrow and then move this weekend :P I don't know how you all do this day after day - I feel like i'm breaking down, and the frustration of not enjoying life is really getting to me. My leg and lower back hurt so badly today. I'm down to 3 hydrocodones and no time to see anyone. Such is the life of single mom with back pain, i guess. Hope everyone else is having a good pain day. Just needed to vent. Thanks