Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lump/swelling 3 weeks after microdiscectomy

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I've had my first (hopefully last microdiscectomy) incision for three weeks now. One week ago, the nurse removed the dressing, cut the tags and said things looked fine (don't remember if the lump was there at the time)

Now in the last two days I'm feeling (even seeing) a lump/swelling right at the top of the incision, about an inch by an inch.

I've read on a couple of posts that swellings aren't a good sign, but has anyone had any experience of this?

Doctor's getting a call in the morning I think!

Cheers for any advice
advertisement

Comments

• Hey Gav. I had my microdiscectomy about 9 weeks ago. I never really had a lump like you described, just the usual swelling at the incision site. It was quite swollen for some time, but slowly it's gotten much better. It's almost back to normal.I do though think it's a GREAT idea to consult with your doctor though. Is it tender to the touch? Please don't take my opinion to seriously (I"M NOT A DOCTOR), but I'm concerned it may be an infection. I hope it clears up soon for you. And try not to be too concerned. 3 weeks post op is still very early. Best wishes

craig
  • Cheers Craig, went to the doctor today and he says everything looks normal - some swelling to be expected and since it was soft and spongy it is a relatively good sign

All the best mate
  • Glad to hear all is well Gav. It's only natural to react to things with concern after surgery. Great to hear the doc told you it's normal--I suspected it was. My incision healed super fast, but it took a long time for the swelling to go down. Anyways, congrats man! Go easy and listen to your body, but keep living your life.

Cheers right back, Craig
  • about 5-6 weeks after surgery. i felt a tag and pulled this out -- check it out! http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2lwwqba&s=5

it was obviously stitches that didn't dissolve. Wonder if you are having it too?

I really was thinking I needed to call my doctor -- it was sore to the touch and feverish. But after I pulled this out it went away.
  • Hi Gav!

I had my microdiscectomy 2 weeks and 2 days ago!I have also had a lump which appeared when dressing was removed..The lump seems to swell in the evenings but the nurse said this is all fine and very normal.

As your 2 months ahead of me with recovery can you give me a few tips?!

When did u start driving?
    Exercising?
    Working?

I am still in quiet abit of pain in the evenings, did you have this?a kind of aching?

Anything that you think would help me please tell

Female Aged 22!
  • Only 2 weeks after my L5/S1 micro discectomy and I've started to have swelling on and around the incision site. It's raised about 1/2 inch, is not feverish or painful. Mostly makes it uncomfortable to sit as it puts pressure on the spine. Really seems odd that the swelling should start so long after the surgery. Doctor says not to worry.
    I'm wondering how it resolved itself in those of you from the past?
  • I'm wondering how long it took to resolve your swelling as at 2 weeks post L5/S1 micro discetomy I suddenly have swelling? Not painful or infected but raised 1/2 in. and spongy.
  • I had a PLIF like 3.5 weeks ago and have a very similiar thing... I even posted about it:

http://www.spine-health.com/forum/back-surgery-and-neck-surgery/post-op-plif-2-weeks-ago-normal-pickle

Mine is like 4" long and sticks up like 1" - I jokingly call it a pickle, cuz it looks like there's a pickle under tbe skin! LOL!

I have no fever and the incision looks fine and is healing great. There is no redness, no oozy, etc...

Just the little hump...very bizarre. but it makes me feel better to know that some other folks are having the same experience with their incision site swelling up.

Over the phone, the nurse thought it might be my brace causing it, but on Tuesday I have my 4 week post-op check, so I'll let ya know what my doc has to say about mine.

Of course, everyone is different, but I hope that my "pickle" might be able to help someone feel a bit better until they talk to their doc, too.

Good luck to everyone and please keep us updated on how your swelling goes!
  • So, I'm wondering what the Doctor had to say about you 'pickle'? It's 3 weeks post-op now for me and the lump is still there. i'm thinking it may be a tad smaller but not really sure. Almost feels like a small fatty cyst. No pain just when I lie on my back on the floor or lean against something that presses it in. Bulges more when i sit a lot less when I walk or ride a bike.

Let me know how it is since you are a bit further along then me.
    thanks.
  • I had the same surgery on l4 and l5. The first few days after surgery I was just generally sore. It wasn't until about a week after that I noticed swelling at the incision site. I also started having serious pain running from the incision to my hip and all the way down my leg. My doctor called in an anti-inflammatory for the pain, which helped, but I still have to watch the way I sit or lay. The swelling is still there, though. It is also fairly tender, but extremely painful to the touch. I was fitted for a brace, but with the swelling, I can hardly stand to wear it. I have my follow-up appointment tomorrow, so I hope to get some answers then. I have noticed a slight decrease in the swelling the last couple of days, I think. Either that, or I've just paid so much attention to it lately that I can't tell anymore.
    Sarah
  • Hi, I'm 3 weeks and one day out from a left lateral microdiscectomy at L5-S1 and I too have a lump in the incision area which is about 2" long, 1" wide and 3/4" raised up. It is not tender and firm and I would agree with the poster who called it a pickle but a very firm one. A week ago the nurse practitioner at my folowup visit said it wasn't uncommon to have some swelling but I think it's bigger now than then. I'm also still having some leg pain, a lot of foot numbness and some pain, and most of all a lot of back and hip pain. I don't know if any of the other problem are related to the lump but I think I'd feel better if it resolved.
  • Anonymous said:
    I've had my first (hopefully last microdiscectomy) incision for three weeks now. One week ago, the nurse removed the dressing, cut the tags and said things looked fine (don't remember if the lump was there at the time)

Now in the last two days I'm feeling (even seeing) a lump/swelling right at the top of the incision, about an inch by an inch.

I've read on a couple of posts that swellings aren't a good sign, but has anyone had any experience of this?

Doctor's getting a call in the morning I think!

Cheers for any advice
    louloulou123
  • i too have a very large lump just above the wound of my discectomy i had just last monday

louloulou123
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,900
    This is an old thread, for the best responses and support I suggest you make a new post, you can do this by clicking on 'Create forum post' on the left column.

Welcome to Spine-Health and how to get started here

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Ckur6CCkur6 Posts: 2
    edited 11/16/2014 - 1:12 PM
    I know this is an old thread, but seeing as there are multiple posters in this thread with good information on the issue, and forums are normally accessed via a search for a topic, I am posting in this thread. I'm not looking for help.

I'm 7th day from an l5-s1 microdisectomy (laminotomy). Most pain from surgery was gone yesterday (6). In the evening I started noticing leg pain ( similiar to the old sciatica but only shooting and not constant), and similiar pain in the back. The night before, it felt like I was laying on a golf ball. I noticed last eve before shower that I also have the lump described. Mine is not a pickle, but more of a ball right at the top of the incision. Leg, back, and lump persist through today.

Will continue to add information. Thanks to those who posted back after dr visit. I'll rest easy that it is normal, until the dr says otherwise.
  • I know this is an old thread, but seeing as there are multiple posters in this thread with good information on the issue, and forums are normally accessed via a search for a topic, I am posting in this thread. I'm not looking for help.

I'm 7th day from an l5-s1 microdisectomy (laminotomy). Most pain from surgery was gone yesterday (6). In the evening I started noticing leg pain ( similiar to the old sciatica but only shooting and not constant), and similiar pain in the back. The night before, it felt like I was laying on a golf ball. I noticed last eve before shower that I also have the lump described. Mine is not a pickle, but more of a ball right at the top of the incision. Leg, back, and lump persist through today.

Will continue to add information. Thanks to those who posted back after dr visit. I'll rest easy that it is normal, until the dr says otherwise.
  • I went in for mine last week . Today it was hot and swollen and inky hurts with pressure. But my question is how big are everyone's incisions? I went on being told I was getting a one inch incision and when I took my dressing off the next day,it was about four and no one warned me lol.
  • picture post thats my swelling since my microdisectomy/failed epidural.... and I am now having surgery with a fusion...I kept a photo journal and showed my dr like how it looked prior to activity as it looked after activity....keeping notes and photos help.
    This can't be happening
  • Ccadden534CCcadden534 Posts: 1
    edited 01/24/2016 - 8:35 PM
    Hi I had a discectomy exactly three weeks ago today and have noticed some swelling above my incision almost like a bump. I am worried that this may be an infection or something serious. I am only 22 years old and it frightens me a little. Can someone give me some information if you have it please :)

There are no medical professionals on the forum side of this site. Therefore everything you read is based on the personal experiences and/or research done by the individual member. Comments should never be taken as pure medical facts. You need to discuss this with your doctor. They are the only ones that can provide you with detailed information about you, the patient.

For helpful information please click on link
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Liz -Spine-health Moderator
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.