Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Potential CES ~ Frustration with the doctors

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
Friday, 17 April 2009

I also posted this under "Depression" in the regular forum because I am very depressed about this, and very frustrated!

I may be jumping the gun here, but I can't get anyone to look at my MRI, or give me a report.

Yesterday at noon I had a one hour MRI. The first 45 minutes were without dye, the last 15 minutes were with dye. The MRI was looking at L4-L5 and L5-S1 that showed damage/compression/arthritis in an X-ray from about one week ago. I have ALL symptoms of Cauda Equina Syndrome, and nothing is getting better. The symptoms started about 3 months ago. 6 months ago I had bi-lateral TKR (Total knee replacement) and recovered beautifully. The nerve pain started about three months after my surgery, and both knees on the outside are totally numb. My left leg is the worst, with pain in the calf and foot. It is not the sciatic nerve; I have suffered from Sciatica since the mid 70's, and know all too well what Sciatica feels like.

They did blood cultures to see if I had any infection in my blood that could be leading to the swelling in the knees. The results of the blood tests are back, but I have no idea what they are.

My regular doctor's appointment secretary phoned today to tell me that he would go over the results of my MRI on Monday, 20 April 2009 and he had not looked at the MRI/blood results yet. I told her this was unacceptable.

I phoned my orthopedic surgeon who I originally went to for the potential CES. He is not only out of the office with the rest of his staff, the front office told me that he could not do anything because my regular doctor ordered the MRI. I explained to them that the MRI people told me that the MRI is on the computer for anyone to look at, and since it is potential CES, they made sure to post it immediately.

How do I get someone to pay attention to this? I have left complaints with both my regular physician's office and orthopedics' office. Do I just wait until Monday at 2:00PM when my regular physician (who is not a neurologist) gets around to reviewing the MRI? Do I assume "No news is good news?" This has me very depressed because I have been told CES can be dangerous.

Plus, the nurses, MRI people and even my doctor's assistants keep asking me who my Neurologist is! I don't have one!

I live in southern Oregon, and everyone except the MRI staff at the hospital has not heard of CES.

Thank you...Kathy

PS...This system never tells me when I get messages, so I will check back.

Duplicate post deleted... Ron DiLauro , Spine-Health Administrator 04/17/09

• Friday ~ 17 April 2009 @ 3:00PM

I just got off the phone with my doctor's nurse, and the doctor REFUSES/IS TOO BUSY to look at my MRI's and blood tests until next week. This is for potential CES, which the doctor's nurse has never heard of.

I am frustrated beyond belief, because without my primary doctor's okay, others can not look at the MRI's which are on the computer system.

I am not looking forward to this weekend because I still do not know, and all the tests have been done. This is beyond ridiculous...Kathy
  • I know how you feel kind of. My Dr was away and I had my MRI and I thought if I had something wrong the Technician could've said take care. I ended up unable to walk after that heavy work assignment I did that made me worse and I stopped working after that. I feel like suing them for not giving the results to the ER Dr at the same hospital. That's what happens where I work! I had to get a DR. friend from work to get the results faxed to her. If you went to an ER with symptoms they would get you to sign release of info and get the results faxed to the ER if they're still open when you go to the ER. Good luck! Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Kathy,
    I understand your frustrations. I really do and I do feel for you, and the appearance that only you recognize the seriousness of this. As to whether or not, this could be negligent, that is something that only an attorney can decide and only after the fact.
    If your PC ordered the MRI, then he is only going to give you the report when he decides to, which apparently is Monday. There is not much that you can arrange for it to be otherwise over the weekend.
    I know your worried and you have every right to be.
    As for assuming that no news is good news....well that's not always the case. I have had reports come back that needed the doctors immediate attention, but if the nurses don't at least scan the reports or the doctors don't ask for notification when they come in, they aren't notified until they get ready to see the patient...
  • Whatever happened? Did you ever hear from anyone? Please post and let us know how you are doing.
  • Hi all ... I am new here but have a problem beginning 2 years ago when I had my first TKR followed by a femoral nerve block. Unfortunately, I never lost the numbness from the block and then began having stabbing, burning, pains frequently. A neurologist has been treating me with gabepentin and lidoderm patches. He called it nerve impingment. When I needed my second TKR in January of this year, I was assured that this would not happen again. Not so!
    Now I have the condition in both legs. It is not constant pain, but when it occurs, I will scream and hold my thigh area. I was finally referred to a pain clinic in my area and yesterday I began the trial for an SCS (spinal cord stimulator). My question is this. Has anyone besides ME ever had this type of leg pain and/or been treated for such pain with an SCS. If so, what was your experience. This condition is so rare that I have had difficulty finding anyone who has had this happen to them.