Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Tired of it all!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Chronic Pain
Hi Everyone:
I am new to this site and really enjoy reading alot of old posts. One really stuck out to me though - that doctors view a fusion "successful" if you totally fused - doesn't matter if you are still in pain. I have had a total of 4 back surgeries and once again am in constant pain. My last surgery was over 3 years ago, just went back to see the surgeon to see what is going on and pretty much made me feel like I am nuts - that the fusion looks good and solid that I should not be in pain. Well GUESS WHAT DOC I am in pain - everyday all day. I truly believe I have something being pinched off and he seems to think that is not possible. I am tired of doctors acting like they are God and know anything - I do not wish this pain upon anyone but wouldn't it be nice if these doctors could feel our pain even for one day!!!???? Guarantee you they would run every test out there to figure out what it is.
SOrry I just needed to vent and am tired of being in pain and being on drugs....

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    Give your doctor another chance, but also let him know the pain you are in and that you want to makes sure there is nothing else going on. A doctor who understands their patients will make sure that in addition to clinical examinations they will coordinate diagnostic testing.
    Not all doctors are the way you describe. There are so many compassionate doctors out there that have gone above and beyond for their patients.
    A doctor doesnt succeed when their patients fail.
    So right now, I would say a detailed discussion with your doctor about how you are feeling now is warranted. Express you level of frustration and pain, recognize that the doctor is saying the fusion is ok, so his/her part was ok... but that there is more to a spine then the discs that were operated on.
    Good luck, stay with it.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I hope you can get help for your pain. I'm sorry you're feeling so discouraged and frustrated but I also understand. Feel free to vent anytime. There are many people here who deal with pain daily and understand where you're coming from. Good luck and best wishes.
  • sorry that you are in pain .we carnt take it away but we are a good group on here and we will hep as much as we can .i am in the uk .where as most of my friends and usa based.hope we can be of some help.have you tried a good TENS?
  • you sound totaly fed up with it all , i can do nothing but send you a hug and hope you feel a bit better today :*
  • I have been told the same thing, fractures all healed, partial shoulder replacement succesful, there you go, attaboy all fixed! Uh, cept, hey doc, THIS STILL HURTS!
    DOC, "Oh, well, sorry bout that, nothing else we can do, see you in a year, good luck with the pain thing"...

Yay, I feel so much better knowing I'm better. Glad I checked with the doctor since the whole chronic shoulder pain still had me confused!

I hope your doctors can come up with something to help you. I have a SCS placement surgery on May 4th. No, they really do not know why I still hurt. Best guess is somewhere between my neck and my shoulder there is a trashed nerve.

I get really fed up too, All we can really do is get up and make the best of our day.
  • I hope you get some answers and some RELIEF!!! I hope you have better days ahead.
  • I am so sorry you are in so much pain. All of us here understand.
    Have you seen anyone else about your pain? Your surgeon feels his job is done so have you talked to your primary care Doctor. Perhaps he will refer you to a pain clinic. It took forever to find a Doctor that would treat my worsening pain from having rods and screws placed on my spine...L4 & L5. Now I suffer from nerve damage in both my legs caused by scar tissue wrapped around the nerve roots at the surgery site. To remove the scar tissue would cause more scaring and even more pain.
    I just had a SCS trial(spinal cord stimulator) and it was a success!Instead of pain i feel tingling. In two or three weeks I will have the permenant SCS implant. Yippeeeee
    I am also on Oxycodone 40mg twice a day. Pain meds for break through pain.
    Thare is always hope. No one should suffer pain so keep looking!! Do not give up!
    Best to you.
    Hugssss >:D<
    Patsy w
This discussion has been closed.