Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Help-Laminectomy and still in pain

darbymai59ddarbymai59 Posts: 55
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had a laminectomy on March 5, 2009 for central spinal stenosis. The surgery took care of the sciatica pain down my left leg but I still have numbness in the lower part of the leg and it just aches. I still can't walk much because my lower back hurts so bad. I also am having trouble sitting for very long at work. I have arthritis at L3 thru S1, DDD, facet syndrome, grade I spondylolisthesis. I just want to be pain free and don't know what else to do.

The ortho doctor I seen wanted to give me the laminectomy/fusion at L4/L5 so I decided on the neuro doctor that said just the laminectomy would do. I've stopped taking my pain meds because they give me nausea and constipation. I now take 3 ibuprofen whenever I can't stand it any longer and they don't help much.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

• Darby,

I had a hemilaminectomy March 27th. The neurosurgeon injected the area with epidural and steroid to alleviate the pain for a while longer because it was so inflammed when he did the surgery. About the second week after surgery, my leg started flaring up, nerve pain came back, and it ached CONSTANTLY. I went back for my postop and he put me on a steroid dose-pak and naproxen, to take in addition to robaxin (muscle relaxer) and percocet. It helped while I was on it, but about 5 days after I finished the steroids, the nerve pain came back. He fears that he might not have fixed everything, or that I have possibly re-herniated the disc. I too have trouble sitting at work, or in the car. My leg is almost completely numb on the outside, although I can deal with that. My lower back aches, but the biggest issue is the nerve pain traveling all the way down my leg. My laminectomy was at L5-S1. I have also been diagnosed with DDD, spinal stenosis, and radiculopathy.

Because the nerve pain and achiness is coming back just like before surgery, they have ordered another MRI, with contrast, to check for structural abnormalities. I am having that Monday, April 27th, and seeing the surgeon Thursday, April 30th. If I find out anything that might help you, I will certainly let you know.

• 23horses
    Thank you so much for your reply. I'm sorry that you too are having problems but happy that there is someone I can relate to. I had the laminectomy for central stenosis. I also had a buldging disk but he said he did not do anything to it. I'm just getting really frustrated. I've been dealing with this for a year now and I'm impatient. I do not go back to my doctor til May 8th. I was scheduled to go for a check up April 24th but I postponed it to go out of town for my grandsons birthday.

Please keep me posted on whatever you find out. I wish you luck and a speedy recovery.

• Went to doctor yesterday and found out what he thinks is causing my current pain is inflamation in my facet joints. He said sometimes that happens after a laminectomy. He gave me Darvocet 100-650 for the pain and a steroid pack to hopefully settle everything down. My symptoms are that I cannot turn over in bed, can't turn my body at waist level, can't walk without pain. My surgery was March 5th and for the first month I did much better than now. If the steroid pack don't do the trick I'll be getting another MRI to see what is going on.

• So today I've taken a Darvocet and it has made me have nausea. This is not that strong a pain killer and I thought I could handle it. Wrong!!!! Is there anything I can take for the nausea or does anyone know of a pain killer that does not make you sick.