Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Competing with neck injury?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi all,

Whilst training in thai-boxing last year I suffered a central and paracentral disc prolapse compressing the c7 root on the left hand side which left me with debilitating hyperaesthesia for two months. It’s left me with numbness in two of my fingers and a bit of a stiff neck. Since then, against doctors orders, I’ve had two fights which haven’t really made my condition any worse. However, some months ago, during training I started to experance stiffness in the neck and shoulder of my right arm, and as a result, stopped training.
When I train at a low level my symptoms don’t really bother me, but when training at a higher level I get a return to the stiffness and some mild pain. This happens if I use kettlebells (weights) or box.
Recently I’ve been thinking that if I’m going to be stuck with pain whenever I train hard, I may as well have a go at thai-boxing again. A sport I love with a passion, and one that many people tell me that I could be a champion in.
I’m 29 and don’t have long left before I’d be unable to make it at a high level, but, I’m very conscious of really buggering myself up.
Has anyone here gone back to competing in contact sports after a cervical prolapse before?

Best regards

P.S. Does anyone do neck bridging exercises to strengthen their neck muscles?

• Honestly, if I were experiencing neck pain due hard core training I would stop immediately and I would quit the boxing. I've recently had a spinal fusion in my neck and it did not one bit help with the pain. I'm sitting here everyday in agnoy. I have constant unbearable pain. Running use to be my passion. I would definatly give up running to be pain free and not further damage my neck.
  • just the way it is...
  • I'm not sure how you are managing to box..........I have similar issues, that are worsening............and I struggle to walk at any pace. Unable to drive or sail.

Have you checked with your doctors as to whether they think you should be doing high impact stuff? Or if they think you may be making it worse?

Strengthening the neck muscles sounds like a positive idea, not been advised to do that yet, although 'pilates' exccersing do strengthen the core muscles I think. And that can't be a bad thing can it?

• I think i would consult your doctor first to see if your at any kind of risk doing the boxing,if your risk is low then go for it,why give up something you love to do if it doesn't bother you that much.