Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

A newbie in desperate need for support..

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello, my name is Tovi, and one year ago, my back hurt, and didn't stop.

I think you know how this story ends up.

I am 21 years old- "much to young" as the doctors say- to be having all the pain and degeneration I am suffering. I was first scrutinized as having some sort of psychological fabrication of pain, but after months of persistence it was discovered that I had an incredibly large tear in my L5 spine, and bulging discs all up and down. In addition, fibromyalgia hit me like a mac truck, and it has been a road of tears, pain, and heartbreak.

I don't want to go on a horribly long tangent, but I am brought here because my heart is screaming. Not one soul around me has any idea what it has been like for me; I break down out of pain and frustration almost every day, which is hard in itself for me to face. I feel so alone, I can't even afford acupuncture, epidurals, or surgery. I fear I'm going to be on morphine or hydrocodone the rest of my life. I was one of the most lively, hyper people around, who loved to laugh and had so much to say. Now, I can't seem to find any words or the strength to go to the store.

So here I am, trying to reach out before I give up... I always try and keep my spirit filled with light, but lately it has been a downhill battle, as I am ever-consumed with more darkness. I found out that I also have severe ovarian cysts, and I can only wonder if my body is reflecting my angst, for lack of a better word.

I promise, I'm quite friendly ^_^..I really do hope to make some friends and be there for other people who are suffering-I truly understand and have a great deal of hope for us all;
if we keep communicating our successes and failures, I believe we will eventually bring ourselves closer to that sweet, pain-free day...

• You have come to a great place for support and encouragement. We truly understand what a day in your life is like. It does seem to make it so much worse when somebody as young as you are is suffering in such pain. I also suffer from multiple annular tares and the pain can be overwhelming. Do you live near any large cities that may have a teaching hospital? They usually offer great care and charge according to your income. Have you checked to see if you are eligible for any state funded medical care? Don't give up. There are options out there and you will have to be persistent to find them but there is help out there. Good luck and please keep us posted.

Also, if the meds make your pain a little more tolerable, stick with them until another alternative can be found. There is no shame in pain meds when you truly need them.
  • I'm trying to sign up for SSI, but it has proven a very difficult task, and due to the economy I doubt they'll find enough "evidence" to help me. I am a bit weary for teaching hospitals, as I don't know much about it. Do you know where I could find more information about it? Does teaching mean I'd be done in front of a great deal of doctors? If so, I wouldn't mind that. I am really nervous about spinal surgery, to say the least.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and asnwer what questions we can. i would like to know if you are on Lyrica for your fibro? it can make a big difference!talk to your doctor about this! :-C anyway, glad you stopped by. there are plenty of chances to meet new people and develope friendships here on SH. good luck as you seek pain relief!? Jenny
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832

I am sorry to hear you are having so much pain, with no help so far.

You will get lots of support on this site and look forward to following your posts.

Liz x hugs

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Thank you all so much for replying. My first night in chat was wonderful and I no longer feel so alone in this. It's put an immense strain on my relationship

I have been on lyrica before, to no avail. I am now on Neurontin, 1200mg a day, and norco 10/325.

I guess the disc is really awful, and I'm a candidate for surgery, which I find rather frightening.
  • Welcome to SH :H I'm sorry you have to endure all this pain and suffering at your young age. Don't let anyone dismiss your symptoms because of it- that notion is so antiquated and is fueled by narcotic paranoia. Some medical professionals believe that if a young adult has pain that they are just drug seeking.

I had problems with ovarian cysts, and one time I had emergency surgery when a 8mm one decided to rupture. In 2004 I went through a hysterectomy and they left one ovary so I could still produce hormones. The next year they reopened me all the way to fish it out because it kept sprouting painful cysts. I would double up in excrutiating pain, it was no fun at all.

On my sig line you can see what I've gone through, and I also have permanent nerve damage stemming from disc herniations at L4-S1. I deal with constant severe back and nerve pain and post op scar tissue on the S1 nerve from my fusion last year. I totally relate to your back problems and I can offer you advice and moral support. (and a quirky sense of humor. Take care
  • welcome ,hope you find comfort in here :)