Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

trigger point massages anyone?

tammycttammyc Posts: 894
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I was just wondering if anyone has done trigger point massages and if they helped at all.My massage therapist has tried three different types of massages on me so far trying to get my muscles to release on my back and neck and is having a really hard time trying to figure out what else to do for me.My muscles are so tight that a day or so after my massage everything just goes right back into spasm and tightens right back up again. I know i shouldn't stop the massages but i was just wondering if anyone had any other kinds of massage ideas for me to try that might help. Thanks

• I have the same problem, i had 2 surgeries the 1st was disc replacement at c3-4. That failed and then i had fusion at c3-4 and disc replacement at c5-6. My problem is constant neck and shoulder pain. I do massage therapy but it only lasts for a day or 2. She actually worked on the right and left sides of my neck and that was a mistake. She did trigger point but it was so painful for 3-4 days after and i had numbness in both hands. I still have re-occuring bone spurs. From what i am reading here, the pain doesnt go away.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,878
    I believe the only treatment would be genuine Thailand Deep Tissue Massage. Almost any massage parlor and/or massage therapist can claim they do Deep Tissue Massage. There really arent many regulations when it comes to this.
    My rhomboid muscle was like a piece of wood after years of neglect and abuse. My doctor sent me to the person I still see and he was the only one that was able to work through my muscles.
    You should have your doctor recommend a good Deep Tissue Massage person. The person I see only takes referrals and on the first visit you need to have a script from the doctor.
    Warning! Warning!

Deep Tissue Massage done in the old pure Thai method is very aggressive and very painful. I was in tears during the first 10 or so sessions. I know others here who did see pure Thai DTM and they experienced the same.

Do not be fooled if someone tells you that Deep Tissue Massage therapy doesnt have to hurt. Sure it doesnt have to hurt when the problem its addressing is minor. But when there is a major problem, expect major intense and aggressive work.

This guy works with his hands, palms and elbows while he has me on the table. Then when I am on the floor he uses his heels and toes. Let me tell you, there is an amazing amount of force and strength that can be generated from someones heels.

Without this work, I still would be in major pain and not able to do half the things I do today.

I made a warning about how painful it is, because it really is. The doctor I am seeing for the Osteopathic treatments went to see my Deep Tissue Massage therapist. They wanted to swap sessions to get better understanding of the different medical art disciplines. The Osteopathic doctor is 6 foot 3 about 230 pounds. Both he and the deep tissue man both told me that he was brought to tears and it was the most intense pain he has felt during any type of treatment.

It works
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com