Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Dr. wants me to go for a sleep study

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Sleep Problems
What in the world could be discovered from that?

I have always had trouble falling asleep. I have tried Ambien, Lunesta, and Valium but they never worked. I tried all the natural rememdies like warm milk, turkey, warm bath, no TV in bed, lavendar oil, relaxation tapes, and even hypnosis.

Normally, I have 2-3 nights per month that I don't sleep. That has been going on for as long as I can remember.

In 1994, I went 4 days without sleeping and landed in the hospital for 2 days. Not fun. They didn't even give me anything to help me sleep just monitored my vitals and gave me fluids. Then when I finally fell asleep they kept waking me up for stupid stuff!!!

In the last 2 months I have had 5-6 nights without sleep and this week I didn't sleep Sunday or Monday night. Slept for 4 hours Tuesday night and 2 hours Wednesday night. Last night (Thursday) no sleep again.

I called my PCP and he said I need to have a sleep study done.

Anyone have ANY ideas or experience with this????

Sincerely - Camille

• Hi Camille.Possible sleep apnea?

My friend has sleep apnea and uses a breathing machine at night.I forget what it's called right now.She's only 45-well actually tomorrow is her BD-so almost 46-lol.At THIS age we are not that age until THAT day-lmao!

It's important to find out about sleep apnea-especailly when you are taking pain medication because they also slow your respirations,and at night,with sleep apnea,that can be..well,not good.

Good luck and I hope you let us know how it went/goes.

PS~My brother had sleep apnea too.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,862
    In 2000 after a sleep study, I was diagnosed with sleep apena.
    It can be a deadly situation if not treated. Basically, during sleep you stop breathing for a time. That deprives the brain of oxygen. Pro Football Player Reggie White died for sleep apena.
    The procedure for the sleep test is simple. I can explain how my worked.
    - Go to the Hospital and you are given a hotel like room
    - You bring books, magazines, comfortable sleeping clothes
    - They hook up what seems like hundreds of leds over your body
    - You are suppose to go to sleep at your normal time
    - They then monitor you sleep patterns, irregular breathing, leg twitching etc.
    - You wake up the next morning and head home.

The treatment is to use a CPAP (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure) machine.
    image and a mask image

It takes a little while to get adjusted to it, but after you do you almost dont know about it. But I can tell you I get better sleep with it, well thats when my spine allows me to sleep.

The newer CPAP machines have data cards that you download so that hospital personnel can view data. That includes how many hours you are using it, where there any air leaks in the mask and much more.

Don't overlook a problem like sleep apena. I started in 2000 and maybe if I didnt have the sleep study and take corrective actions, perhaps I would have had zero problems, but on the other I could have wound up like Reggie White
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I am teased about the way I sleep. I appear to be dead. No movement, snoring, heavy breathing, etc.

I actually have a problem with clenching my mouth/jaw tightly when I sleep. I had to use this mouth appliance thing when I was a kid because I had terrible pains on the side of my face. Dr. was worried about TMJ.

I don't clench as tightly but still clench. It's like a mouth suction and jaw clench thing.

All I can say is at least I don't drool!! =P~

Thanks for your ideas!!

Sincerely - Camille
  • The Sleep study my husband had, they watched brain waves, eye movements, the heart rhythms, the electrical activity going on, BP, plus his snoring/breathing, and I'm sure a bunch of other things. Those were just the ones mentioned.

He has nerve issues from damaged cord in his neck after a car wreck and had a fusion C5-C7 5 years ago. His cord still shows up in the last MRI has having damage. His hands, fingers, and arms hurt and tingle. With his sleep study, they told him that he had bad apnea and stopped breathing 83 times in an hour.

Keep an open mind, it may show some things other than snoring, apnea, or movement for you. They will give you an Ambien or something if you can't go to sleep will there. With the equipment recording your brain and other systems activities, it's interesting to find out what you do during sleep.

My husband spent two nights there, one to sleep as he normally does and the second one, with the cpap machine on.

He never has had a problem with sleeping though. I'm the one that has episodes like yours, usually I can't sleep one night and then die out the next night though. Several nights in a row would kill me.

Good luck and let us know how it goes for you and what they tell you from doing it. His was so interesting that I would do one if my doctor thought I should.

• I just had a study done and I have obstructive sleep apnea, during my study I averaged 20x per min not breathing. The study was done at a hotel that the hospital uses, it was not difficult at all. Once they determine that you have sleep apnea you go back for another study to determine what setting your machine should be. It has been 3 weeks now that I have been using the maching and I can tell a difference. Not has fatigued during the day and the morning headaches are gone. I had no idea how serious this was and I am so glad I had it done. For the past 2 years I have been blaming not feeling up to par on my surgery.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,862
    If I recorded all the times that that was said and it turned out to be exactly what it was. You may be 100% correct, I wont challenge that.
    Just keep an open mind. There has to be some rationale why they want to do a sleep study on you.
    One sign of having sleep apena is that you are lying asleep and appear to be dead, no breathing, nothing, then all of a sudden you gasp for air and that start the routine over and over again.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • To what Ron just said........and you are not always aware that you are doing this,so you may not know!

If it's one thing-though there are many-that I have learned in this life-it's never say never.It's almost always sure to come back to me at one point or moment in time..as if to prove me wrong.I only enjoy being wrong in the proper circumstances- ;))
  • I'm glad that you are using your machine-I heard it takes some getting used to,but is a smart choice-if it's a choice..I don't know,but I imagine some people have a hard time adjusting to sleeping w/that contraption.I would if I had to.

Are they noisy?My friend has one,but she never calls anymore,never e mails...I'm going to call her!!!
  • I will not lie, it takes some getting use to. I tried the nose pillows first and they did not work for me, they iritated my nasal passage. The one I use now is the nose mask and it is working fine. It has a humidifier with it also so the air is not so drying. I don't hear it running at all. I never had trouble going to sleep so that could be why I hear no noise, I also sleep with a fan beside my bed and that could also be the reason. I'm just thankful that this was found out. Also my blood pressure has come down, another plus.

• I too have sleep apnea and require a cpap machine at night for breathing. The problem with the whole cpap machine for me anyway is since I have problems getting to sleep the machine makes it worse. I can only use it if I'm REALLY, REALLY tired and almost passing out from lack of sleep. I also take ambien which only works if I only take one once in awhile.
    Good luck with your sleep study.

• I saw my PCP this morning. He said the test will be a polysomnogram. It will measure brain and stuff while I am trying to fall asleep. I asked about sleep apnea and he said that isn't a concern but it would pick it up if it happened.

I asked him what happened if I didn't fall asleep. He said I would have to stay there until I did. He said no meds since none I have tried ever worked anyway.

I am not looking forward to this at all. I guess I better take a bigger bag than just an overnight bag.

Just waiting to get scheduled with the Sleep Center now.

Keep ya posted. My sincerest thanks to everyone who responded! It sure does help!

• all the best in getting to sleep!! =D> i know how difficult that can be!! try and relax and take a couple of good books!! =)) take care and i hope you get the results leading to a solution! :D Jenny :)