Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Long Tract cord compression suspected by PCP

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello Everyone,

I finally got to see my Primary Care Doc,following my recent posts on here, I have bulges at C5-6 and C6-7 plus oseophyte bars and disc space narrowing. Saw Neurologist in January who said surgery would not help, although MRI said that the spurs were pushing on the theca.

Anyway, for the past 3 weeks or so, I have been having heavy legs, both legs feel as though they cannot hold me up, and after short walks (room to room)I have to sit down. The stairs are a killer, and hard work to say the least. Pain in back of the legs is relentless and does not go away, even when I rest...........unless I lay face down, and then is fades.

PCP - has said he is worried that I may have 'long tract compression' and is asking for a Neurosugeon to see me urgently (last time I saw a neurologist - not sure of the difference)

What is long tract compression? All I know is that in the past month, I've gone from being able to walk several miles to barely being able to get to the kitchen.

Have double the Neurotin to 1800 per day to see if it helps, but I now feel in a complete daze of course !

Here in the UK, it is likely that the wait to see a NS, even urgently will be about 6 weeks. I am frankly worried that there may be permanent damage.........can I do anything to minimise this possibility?

All help and support is, as ever, greatly appreciated, with thanks to you all.

• Scully, I have long tract signs after a spinal cord compression.I don't fully understand it but I can relay how the Drs explained it to me. They told me because of the long standing spinal cord compression at C5 C6 that the other nerves that work the legs and bladder may also be affected. So you would have trouble with your gait or legs buckling, leg weakness and also possible urinary issues.
    My Dr said all the nerves that innervate the extremities travel through the neck. If it gets squeezed enough and long enough you can then have the long tract signs.
    I had my cord decompressed.I was told it may take up to a year to 2 years to get everything back. Hope this helps.I am still confused about this hole neck issue. Like my Dr said the cervical spine is very fragile. Bethy
  • Blimey ! Thank you for that, it helps to understand and I'm grateful to you. I;m so sorry that you are suffering the same as me. I have to say that sometimes when I need a wee.....i go to the bathroom...........and wait and wait, and eventually it happens.............never thought to mention that to the doctor ! I will next time

I couldn't understand why my legs felt like they weighed 100 lbs each and Ii couldn't climb the stairs! I guess as you say it's all gotta get through the neck to our grey matter !

What is cord decompression please?.................sounds awful, what do they do.

• I had a central herniated disc that caused the spinal cord compression. The spinal cord was being squeezed by the disc. The pressure was there for 5 months before I finally took all of my films and went to a University Hospital.
    I had no idea how serious it was until I saw the NS. They promised me that when they decompressed the cord my symptoms will not get worse but may take a long time to recover. I am 6 months post op and while doing better, I am far from normal. The NS had the nerve to tell me that I am way to impatient and anxious to improve. Easy for him to say!!! Bethy
  • ;) Hello! I know it has been a while. My life has been so busy with three boys in three different baseball leagues.

I read your post and I hope that the Neuro Surgeon can help you. I think a lot of you and I want to see you recover. You have been so great to me and I owe you.

I will always keep you in my prayers!