Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Thoracic spine surgery T7-8

jgandeejjgandee Posts: 38
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had neck surgery last year and replaced 3 discs. This year, my surgeon is going to remove a disc in the thoracic area, T7-8. He is going to remove the disc with microscopic surgery, and then us a dynesys support system on the back. The disc cavity will be left open and nothing put in its place. Has anyone had this type of work in the thoracic and how was your recovery. Thanks.

• Sounds pretty radical.
    What is the reason for the surgery?
    What did you have the discs in your neck replaced with?
    Ive no knowledge of this type of surgery though I do get a lot of pain in the thoracic area.

Fill us in

• The neck disc were replaced with graphite disc and tied together with titanium plates and screws.

The T7-8 is needed to remove a disk that is pressing in on the middle of my spine. I have several neurological problems that indicated spine compression.

Thanks for asking.
  • I am 2 days past the surgery. The decompression at T 7-8 has helped some of the problems I had. It will take some time to see if it takes care of everything, or close to that. One of them was a burn sensation around the waist. It is now numb, which is much different that before. My toes would feel hot when I touched cold things, this is now better. I am in quite a bit of pain, but things are improving.
  • I'm glad your surgery has been successful so far. Remember that they bathe the area with pain killers and steroids and that your previous symptoms MAY be felt again as these medications wear off, although they won't be as severe. Back problems (or neck) really suck, don't they? Good luck and I hope you continue to feel better and better.