Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

A couple of questions

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Do any of you use any type of ointment on you incisions, like mederma to lessen the chances of a scar? If so how long after surgery did you start using it? Is this something I should clear with my Dr. office before starting?

Also, I am just wanting your opinion here: My first post op appt is May 22, my surgery was on April 13. I am wondering if I should call and try and move my appt up a week if possible so I can be released back to work sooner. I am feeling pretty good, not on pain pills, and it doesn't hurt to sit. But then I say to myself, I have this time off should I just wait and make sure I recover as much as possible before returning to work, even if I am feeling good. I am nervous the Dr. will release me for only part time work and I get more money from my disability payments then I would if I worked only part time. My work isn't pushing me to come back yet, they are being great about all of this. I just feel that sense of responsibility to get back as soon as possible.

And -- woohoo it has been 3 weeks since surgery and I can drive for the first time today, I can't wait to get out of the house for a bit! I hope I remember how to drive LOL, I don't plan on going far my first time out. Just had to share! I am so happy to not be home bound anymore.

• Definitely ask your doctor before putting anything on your incision. I don't know what type of closure you had, but I had internal dissolving stitches and surgical glue. They wouldn't let me put anything on my incision, not even aloe. On the plus side, the closure I had is a plastic surgery trick to minimize scarring, so my incision has healed quite nicely and is now just a thin pink line.

It is great that you are feeling so good right now, but be very careful about returning to work. They bathe your nerves in steroids during surgery which keeps you relatively pain free for 2-3 weeks, and then the pain starts to kick in again. Don't change your appointment, and wait to see the doctor before you think about going back to work.

Good luck, and I hope you continue to recover well!
  • I agree. Take as long as you can. Don't be in a hurry to rush things along, even if you are feeling good right now.

Fusion is a BIG surgery and you do not want to have to repeat it. Thank your lucky stars that you are feeling so well, and then take it easy. Do not push yourself. Rest and walk, rest and walk. This way you minimize the chances of developing problems down the road.

I hope your smooth recovery continues.
  • It's amazing how well you're doing, and it's a little over a month post op. I had a 2 level TLIF 11 months ago but I struggle with constant pain and other complications. Don't rush into things, take your time. Your body still needs to heal because a fusion is the second most major surgery, first being open heart. Just keep us with walking and follow your doctor's guidelines. I'm always happy to hear a success story- keep it up. Take care =D>
  • I agree with everyone else. It is amazing that you are feeling so awesome. I am recovering from a 2nd microdiscectomy and I am not released to go to work yet. My surgeries are minor compared to yours. When I had my first micro., my doctor would have let me return part-time but my job only wanted me full-time.

If you work is ok with you taking more time off to recover, then do it. it is a gift of time. I know the feeling of wanting to return as soon as possible but i think you will be glad that you put the return date off.