Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Almost 4 months post op, facing homelessness

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Some of you may know me as (jusserfinn), after my account was deleted by a caring family member, I tried to stay away, but I'm back. I am almost 4 months post op, still not ready to look for a job (single mother, kids are in hs), as I have not worked since the pain and meds took over my life almost 10 months ago, my NS is an idiot, and we are selling stuff to pay rent. We still don't have all of Mays yet, and with Qwest breathing down my neck, this may be the last time I write anything. My car is being repo'd in the next few days, and I am at wit's end. I was not able to get SSDI, but I am on the waiting list for a hearing. Before it became this dire, I decided to go back to school for nursing in the fall next year, applied for and got full fin. aid, but now what? I'm 45 years old and looking at a life on the street...

I'm just here to rant, no need to respond, unless you are in the same position.

• What about social benefits? They do emergency funding where I live. They must be able to help. Good luck I hate to see you on the street. No family to go to? Sorry to hear about your situation. When I went to School for RN I lived in the dorm that had for students. Do try the college and see. You can try and get grants through the guidance dept. I lived on noodles putting myself through college. See if welfare can help pay rent for a room there. Good luck. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I am really very sorry about the awful situation you are facing. Pain and disability are always hard to handle, but when you add financial problems on top of that, it becomes unbearable. Have you tried going to the school's financial aid, or whatever and explain your situation? There is a dire need for nurses, maybe you could get student housing and some kinds of scholarship to help you
    attain your goal and keep a roof over your head.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

• I am sorry that you are going through touch situation. Could you live with your relatives until you financial aid kick in? It'll another be 3 1/2 months...I know, but someone in your family could help you until August.

If you have full financial aid, then you could have enough to cover your expenses. Talk to your financial aid advisor.

• I will keep you in my prayers my dear! :)
    Had PLIF in 2008 and a Laminectomy. One level fusion, L4-L5.
  • Thanks for the replies. Funny you mention emergency benefits Charry, we were there today, and I saw an app for that, so probably going to fill that out tomorrow. The only family that cares is in Utah (I'm in WA). Since my daughter and I will both be getting Fin. aid, if we can make it to September, we should be ok. My brother (in Utah) has offered to train my adult son in his field (he's a mechanic), so we are considering him going there for a while. (yes, he still lives at home, and thank God for that!)

My pain levels still scare me when I think about looking for work. I did talk to a nurse hotline, and they actually thought I should see a doctor ASAP, since a lot of things are escalating right now, and much of my pre-op problems and pain is back. Not only that, but I now am having problems in my arms, and periodic numbness in my hands, and it feels as though my legs are vibrating for most of the day, then when I lay down it gets worse, and my toes start to burn. Since my surgeon has labeled me as "difficult" so I'm afraid to even call them anymore. I made an appointment with my primary, and will see how that goes, he's always been very concerned, and isn't afraid to send me for tests.

I'm rambling again, sorry.

Again, thanks for the replies, and for listening to my word regurgitation.
  • Thanks, Lovinggardener, but I have no family here in Washington, but my brother in Utah has been paying our electricity since December, 2008, and the rest of my family is not an option, they have nothing or don't want to help. My brother has offered to train my oldest son to be a mechanic, so he may be going there (Utah) and still it would be a waiting game.

I really just can't even believe I can go on much longer without totally losing it. I am seriously ready to take all of our belongings we don't need to survive outside and just try to sell it all.

• I talked with a friend recently that lives in Calif. Her family is realizing problems with the economy and like many are trying to find ways to spend less.

She has 2 young daughters and has health issues herself. She told me that she contacted a local college offering to work w/female college student that was having financial problems.

The college passed the word to several students to contact this friend. Her offer was that in exchange of the student doing light housework, some child care (total time not to exceed 25 hours per week) that she would provide the student room/board. She also allows the student full use of the washer/dryer and gives her some money on a weekly basis for small needs.

Maybe you could contact the school you will be attending and ask if they know of anyone that would be able to offer something similar for you and your daughters.

My friend says this is working so well for her that several of her friends are going to be doing the same thing this fall. Seems like a win-win.

I hope your pains and your financial situation gets btter soon.
  • Here are a few tips for financial help:
    If you contact DSHS they can give you a one time emergency aid for a month along with foodstamps and medical if needed.
    Also, my sister-in-law was going to school, feel homeless with a 2 year old child, the school gave her a grant to pay for first months and deposit on an apartment.
    I am not sure where in Washington you are but here in Tacoma, if you need help with utilities contact Metropolitan and they will pay for the utility bill for you.
    Also you can contact some churches and the salvation army. Through donations, they sometimes have money set to the side for help with rent.
    another good contact would be united way. they have wonderful programs and can lead you to the right people to help.
    I personally changed from Qwest to Comcast and saved tons of money doing it.
    I have alot of friends that are too proud to ask for help.
    When you need it you need it. And it sounds like you do.

Good Luck!
  • I pray that there is a quick resolution to your financial problems, and I'm sorry that you and your family are having such a hard time. This can happen to anybody at anytime and we all must stay on our toes at all times.

Some community outreach programs will help you with rent, utilities, and food once every 6 months only if they have the funds. Apply for everything under the sun at DHS- foodstamps, TANF, medicaid, and they also can refer you to organizations to help with housing. Maybe it'd be best to go out to Utah temporarily for a few months until you get that grant from the nursing school.

I do hope your SSI case is approved soon because it'd be a great help. It would help you get into public housing really quick, and make you eligible for rent vouchers to help pay for whatever apartment you stay in. Just make sure the landlord accepts vouchers, and you'd be good to go.

I sure hope your family's situation turns around for the better. You can also use the internet at public libraries to stay in touch with us. Take care >:D<