Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain Doctor DFW

jmichellejjmichelle Posts: 74
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Chronic Pain
I have scoliosis, ddd, disc bulges, tears etc in my back. I am without insurance. Does anyone know of a decent pain clinic in or around dfw that wont cost me a fortune to get some relief? I would also like deep tissue massage as well.

Jackie :)

• I meant to say that I am without any insurance and cant qualify for medicaid. Im hoping to find a compassionate doctor that actually somewhat cares about his patients without charging me and arm/leg

• I'm not from that area and I'm sorry I can't help you out, but you can look it up by entering the zipcode for physician search at Spine Health.

From experience I have to say that pain mgt is very expensive and they know that people will pay for the office visit. On my first consult, I later found out that the charge was around $600 for a complete exam. Some places will have you do a urine screen the second you walk in. I was charged $1500 because it was VERY thorough. I do have insurance but I am shocked by how much it costs to go to pain mgt. And don't forget procedures like ESI's- $400 per side.

I think your best bet would be to find a family doctor willing to prescribe narcotics for long term use. Take care
  • Hi:

I am scared to death of the costs of pain management and am feeling so down that I cant seem to find good care. My primary care said that he isnt a pain management doctor and that I should go to a chiropractor to "get a few cracks" and be all better. Hmm..didnt know it worked that way. I hate it when doctors assume that you arent in pain. I hate to say it..but all the drug addicts out there have really ruined it for the people in true chronic pain. :(

• Meyday is correct. Pain clinics are VERY expensive and they do want payment up front. One pain Doctor I know charges $850.00 for the first office visit.Payment must be made at the time of the visit.
    Yes...your best bet is a primeary care Dr. that will perscribe narcotics. They too are very expensive. You may have to search for a while but do not give up. I am sure your pain will not let you give up.
    Here whare I live in WV some clinics have a sliding scale fee. You can call around and ask if any place has that plan. Also the drug companies will help pay for your meds. Ask your Doctor about it or the clinic you go to.
    Thare IS help for people who have no insurance but you do have to look around and ask. Look on the internet.
    I wish i was more help.
    Good luck.....Hugsssssssss >:D<
    Patsy w
  • ..means Dallas/Ft.Worth area. My office won't give you your scripts if you don't pay the copay or complete office charges. You'd have to go back with the money to pick up your scripts.
  • Thank you guys for all your replies. I truly appreciate it. :) This sucks not having insurance. I really want to try injections again and would love to try other meds as well. Everything costs so much, I am so afraid I wont ever get any care.

• You should try to get medicaid, and also many major hospitals have a charity service insurance for patients who have a very big medical problem in need of medical attention but who do not have insurance and who are not eligible for medicaid. Call major hospitals especially major University hospitals in your area. I really dont know how to help you in terms of finding cheap medical care since everything seems very expensive these days.
  • If you do find a family doctor who will treat your pain, the next hurdle would be finding a medication that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. There are prescription discount cards, and I'm not sure if they have these kinds of meds on their formulary. Examples of affordable meds are Methadone, generic morphine ER, hydrocodone, oxycodone, roxicet, and maybe some others I don't know. Walmart doesn't cover narcotics under their $4 generic drug discount as far as I heard. Take care
  • jmichelle,
    I live in Plano, and I know of a few PM doc's who could help you out.
    Dr. EDITED, he will put you on a payment plan.....if you qualify. BUT, you have to have a PCP refer you.
    Also, EDITED. I believe he does payment plans also.

Doctors name and contact details removed by forum Moderator (paulgla). We do not permit publishing specific doctor's or institution names and contact details.
  • do you have county hospitals that can help? in california we have tons who tret patients without insurance. one problem, you have to wait for hours to be treated
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • Once again..thank you everyone for your suggestions and kind thoughts.:)
    As far as medicaid, I dont qualify for it since Im not some huge amount below the poverty level. And since Im in Collin county, there are no county hospitals for our residents. I called EDITED and they said that I dont live in Dallas county, so I cant receive their care. :(
    As far as EDITED and the other doctor, I will call and see what they say. Thank you!!

Doctors name and contact details removed by forum Moderator (paulgla). We do not permit publishing specific doctor's or institution names and contact details.
  • Do you know anyone who has seen those doctors? I wonder what their bedside manner is like. I am calling right now anyways. Thanks everyone

• I called EDITED who said I have to pay everything up front. The initial visit is 400 dollars. Wow! All the pain doctors charge between 350-900 for the initial consultation. That is horrible! I am going to call EDITED tomorrow since they are about to close if this appointment I made for a family doctor tomorrow doesnt work out well.I told the nurse that I understand that there are a lot of drug addicts who ruin it for the actual cronic pain patients, but that I have my MRI films, Xray films, medical records, and radiology reports. Please pray for a good visit for me tomorrow.

Take Care Everyone

• Sorry guys. I didnt know that you couldnt put specific doctors names. Im a newbie..sorry about that.

This discussion has been closed.