Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

morris8790mmorris8790 Posts: 57
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Health Insurance Issues
Hi everyone I haven't posted lately. Been in my own little world lately mainly depressed. This W/C thing is taking its toll on me. But I just wanted to share my news with all of you. I filed for Disability in Jan. of this year. I hired a lawyer from the start. The lawyer called me today and asked if I had received a letter today from social security, I said no why, she said they had received my approval letter today and that I needed to call my local office to give them my banking info and my w/c info! I could not believe what I was hearing. She told me that she had to have another co-worker read the letter also because she thought that she was misreading it, she was amazed that it was approved so quickly! I never even had to see one of their doctors. I live in Illinois and I was told that this state is getting through the cases alot faster than a year ago. I am still numb about all this news I want to cry and I want to jump for joy at the same time. I'm afraid I'm going to wake up and it will all be just a dream. This takes such a financial burden off of my family. Although I will not be making near what I was when I was working at least I know we will have a roof over our heads. My husband won't have to work 70-80 hours a week now ,he's been so stressed about my w/c and them not wanting to do surgery on me. My n/s says I'm not a surgical canidate at this time am getting a second opinion at the end of the month. Also reality has set in here I am almost 40(by the end of the month) I have perm. nerve damage in both legs use a cane a home body go in public 1-2 times a week because it just isn't worth it to try to go shopping the pain I go through later is almost unbareable. So now I have a lot of soul searching to do I know my life will never be the same again the disability is great but now what do I do with the rest of my life besides sit in my recliner with a heating pad. Anyway I just want all of you out there waiting for your S.S.D.I hang in there I hope the best to all of you. I know there are alot of you worse than me. If anyone would like to know who my lawyer was just pm me.

• WOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOO! <:P That was FAST. I know this will help you and your family. I get SSDI too. I've felt guilty about not working but am relieved to get this money and I feel better about myself being able to contribute financially.

Ask your lawyer when your Medicare coverage will begin- some states you have to wait 2 years and this is ridiculous. I got mine right away but they take close to $100 out of your benefits to go to Medicare premium. Back in 2003 it was only $66. They do however give you a cost of living raise which is not much.

This year they gave us the biggest raise since 1983 and I guess it is due to the bad economy. Maybe you'll get that one time benefit from the Obama administration of #250.00 this month. You don't have to do anything to get it. If you're set up with direct deposit, you're good to go. If not, the check is in the mail. They go according to the last two digits of your SS number. Look into that, OK? Take care :)
  • I'm happy for you Morris that you'll have financial support and one less worry. Yay! Take it easy. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I'm also so happy for you that you were approved, what a relief, especially with this economy. When I read MeyDey's
    post, it reminded me that I saw on CNN today that there will be no Social Security increases for 2010 and 2011.
    It was voted on and they announced it so I just thought I'd mention it - in case someone might be hoping for an increase next year.
  • Thanks for the info. I will find out tomorrow if I'm going to get the 250.00 and I'm not sure yet how long I have to wait to get medicare. My head is still spinning, I just can't believe I got it so quickly.
  • Congrats, I also just got the news that I was approved today. My hearing was suppose to be tommorrow. I was scared to death. My attorney called and said that the judge had called him and approved it before the hearing. I still can't believe it. I've been waiting almost three years. Let me know what they tell you about the $250.00. I know I feel like a ton of bricks have been lifted off of me and I'm sure you do to.
  • Thanks bev, I wanted to let you know that if you were eligible for benefits for Nov. Dec. 08 or Jan. 09 then you will get the 250.00. I would guess that in your case since you've been waiting 3 years that you will get it.
    Good Luck! And congrats to you also!!!
  • That is great news for the BOTH of you!!!

NOTE: If you are receiving Social Security Disability (based on the RETIREMENT benefits you paid in all those years you worked) any children you have who are/were under the age of 18 at the time your disability began (19 if still in school) are also eligible. When you contact your local office to provide the banking information, you should also have in your hand the complete names, dates of birth and social security numbers for each child.

While you have this local SSA representative on the line, ask him/her if there are any other benefits you are eligible for. Most times the representative you get on the phone is just there for a paycheck and will not volunteer information like this - it helps to know what to ask.

Wow. Ladies, this is great news! It just goes to show how every case is different - one lady just filed a claim, and on the other end of the spectrum is another who waited almost 3 years. Unbelievable.

Also, depending on the dynamics of each of your claims, it is possible that your claim will be reviewed again in 3, 5, or 7 years. This is just to make sure you are still disabled. So, if in the future you receive a letter that your claim is being reviewed, don't freak out and think a neighbor turned you in because they are being a butt, or has a personal vendetta against you. It is just standard procedure. Just be sure you are still receiving treatment.

Take care. Best of luck in the future!!!

• My kids were 6 and 8 1/2 when I was approved and SSI had their info, but for some reason that I can't recall they don't get any money. I did not qualify for SSI/Medicaid, just SSDI benefits and Medicare coverage right away.

It sucks we won't get a raise for the next 2 years. Have they forgotten we're in a recession? To hell with those fatcat parachute-jumping greedy I-need-to-buy-my-10th-yacht CEO's! They don't need a %$#^%*@ dime X( They need to cough up every penny of that TARP money they got.
  • Thanks Morris, Jeaux and Meydey, I have two children ages 6 and 8. I will be sure to ask about that. I think when I first applied they told me that they would receive benefits. That seems like forever ago. But thank God it's finally over.Thanks again.
  • I will call and ask about other benefits. I already have a handicap plate on my car so I don't have to worry about that. Do you happen to know that if you filed before approx. 4 years ago and were denied will they give you any of that back pay? They told my sister in Indiana that they do because she is also on SSDI but I've never heard of it. I thought they just go off of most recent filing. Please let me know if you are ware of any of this. As I don't have any clue yet as to how much pay I will receive yet because of the w/c.!! I want to thank all of you that have taken the time respond its a comfort to know I have my spiney friends!!
  • Morris:

Retroactive payments can only be made as far back as the medical records support. In some cases, a claimant can ask to "re-open" that claim to see if, based on current records, can a determination of disability be made back that far. She (or whomever) could argue that the condition is a progressive one (if it is) and that the current condition is a result of it.

Of course, it all depends on why the claim was denied back then and approved now. Did age have anything to do with it? How about functional limitations? Things like that.

It's worth a shot. The worst that would happen would be that they tell you "NO"..
  • Good morning Morris,
    I had returned to work last October after being off for about 4 years.It was grueling and miserable.I had to quit in March,and had yet another fusion in April.I applied for SSDI.I don't know what to expect.Sometimes I tell myself,I'm ok,I can go back to work....I can shovel that load of gravel,paint the house.But I can't! And that makes me mad.I have ,for the most part,always had fairly physical jobs.My recent position required alot of driving,(had a severe muscle spasm while flying down the interstate,scared me to death)I thought it would be the perfect job for me,but it wasn't.I have the picture of someone disabled in my head as someone in a wheelchair,so it's hard to consider myself disabled.I applied for SSDI on the encouragement from family and my attorney.I'll see what happens.I too have a young one at home,a 6 year old.A very rambunctious 6 year old.Hard to keep up with her!
    So anyway....(am I rambling?)congradulations and enjoy your moolah! Sagehen
  • Thanks for the congrats. But I'm sorry to hear that you've had the quit work with this economy its a very scary thing to do (been there). I got a lawyer from the beginning I'm not sure if thats what helped me to get approved sooner or not. I filed back in 03 got denied and never appealed just went through about 8 jobs because I couldn't handle either standing, lifting, or 8 hours of pain trying to work. I hope all goes well for you getting approved from what I've seen in other post it sounds like the ssi system is getting faster. Please keep us posted through your process.
  • Morris:

For the record, your attorney had NOTHING to do with your being approved, unless you had to file an appeal. If you were approved at the initial level, it was all you, girl.

Apparently, your overall condition was/is/has been so severe that it prevents you from performing any type of work. Sorry to hear that - but glad you were approved without any unnecessary BS.

The attorney's job is to file the appeal paperwork for you and be sure you are properly represented at the hearing. At the initial level, they really don't do very much at all. They make sure you've completed any paper work that is necessary or keep any appointments that were scheduled on your behalf. Oh, and that your rights are not violated. But, other than that - they waited for SSA to make a decision just like you waited.

• Yeah I figure your right about the attorney rep. But I just wanted someone to represent me all the way through this time to be on the safe side. I know all they did was basically just file my information. I called them about any payment they would get and they said none due to me being approved so quickly because I would get no back pay. Thanks for the info. though