Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

4 weeks post op discectomy and laminctomy L5-S1

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in New Member Introductions
I am not to clued up on all the correct medical terms so i am going to put it in my words.... basically i woke up one morning with what seemed lke a muscle spasm in my back, three weeks later i had a shooting pain and pins and needles down my left leg... left it fra week thinking it was a pinche nerved, had a few sessions with a physio everything seemed to point to that, the pain and discomfort was unbearable, went to an orthopedic surgeon, he had an MRI done, i had no strength or reflexs in my left leg. it turned out i had slipped the disc between l5 and s1 completely it was 3cm by 1.5cm and prssing on my spinal cord. they removed it a week later without the promise that the leg would come right. the leg is better, pain and stiffnes, and stil very little feeling on the skin in places, but they say only after six weeks will it be apparent what is permenant... thats it, i have gone from being active to counting the days til freedom, the two discs above have no fluid in which is why they didn't do a fusion,but they say it will be neccesary in the future. i am 30 years old.


  • Sorry to hear about your troubles. I'm 33 so I know how much it stinks to be going through this right now. I wish you well with your recovery...please keep us posted on how you do.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. try and remember that everyone heals differently and your schecule is different than anyone else's. :? follow your doctor's orders and if you have any questions, contact him.. :-C good luck and i hope you are on your way to a healthy recovery soon. :D Jenny :)
  • Hi Katsa to add to what has already been said you must take it easy and follow the doctors orders I am also 30 years old and have had back pain for almost 3 years and it sucks , but you have to take it easy and don't rush recovery after I had my 1st micro I was out of work for 2 months and when I went back i went full tilt and needless to say I reherniated in 3 months . This is something that you will have to be aware of for the rest of your life.good luck
  • post-operative NIGHTMARE

    New here, but desperate.
    I had a fusion with hardware November, '08...(L4-5). All was great until day 15, when the nightmare began. Deep wound staph infection. I got sick on a Thursday, called emergency on-call Doc that night. I got the 'blow off' and was told to contact my surgeon the next day. By Friday, I was incredibly ill. Saw surgeon @ 3:00pm, at which time I was burning with fever and barely able to walk. He said I likely had an infection and proceded to prescribe Keflex, order blood cultures for that day, an MRI on SUNDAY, and probable surgery on MONDAY. I was thinking this was a bit too conservative, and I thought my daughter was going to deck the guy for his nonchalance.
    By Saturday afternoon I was totally delirious with fever, and unable to walk at all. That night at bedtime I felt something weird on my bandage and had my fiance check it out. He was horrified to see copious amounts of brown pus oozing through the bandage and literally running down my back.
    Off to the emergency room. Was admitted and had surgery Sunday morning by on call doc, who didn't know me from Adam. My surgeon came in Monday and acted like it was nothing. Tuesday morning I was put in isolation and told it was MRSA. Two days later, and after much freaking out, I was told it was MRSA's 'little brother', MSSA.
    5 days later, I was discharged, even though I was still horribly sick, and had a catheter as I was still unable to urinate, and forget having a bowel movement. No sense of feeling in either area. Had a PICC line and consequently had IV antibiotics administered at home for NINE WEEKS. ($1000 a day...Thank God for good insurance. The hardware alone cost $55,000.) I am on 1000mg of oral keflex for the remainder of the year.
    Now, nearly 6 months later, I am still practically a shut-in invalid. I am in constant pain in my back and right leg. Have been on and off a cane for several months. Finally stopped monkeying around with the original doc, as he was no help. Only temporary pain relief was joint injection of steroids. (almost a week of different, but less severe pain.)
    I am totally unable to return to work, cannot walk more than 5-10 minutes, unable to sit for more than 30 minutes, spend 85% of my life lying down (still in pain). I'm still in a very aggressive back brace, and cannot function at all without it.
    I have applied for disability, as it is clear that working again is most likely never going to happen. I am not your typical disability candidate (sorry for the stereotype, but visit my local SSA office and you will see for yourself what I am talking about). The process is completely ridiculous, and my 'representative' is a total joke. It may be years before a determination is made, meanwhile we lost 50% of our monthly income.
    I subsequently spent another 5 days in a mental health unit due to severe depression and on suicide watch simply because I don't know how to live with this situation. All I want is to be better and to resume my normal life of working, gardening, home improvement and all my normal activities.
    I have finally been referred to a specialist with this kind of scenario at the University of Washington, and see him May 26th. I am terrified to be optimistic, but trying to hang onto some thread of hope.
    To add insult to injury, I cannot take opiods because they all cause severe (puking) migraines. Darvocet has been the only thing I could tolerate, but I'm sick of living on pain meds. Finally went against all advice and am living on Ibuprofen, with occasional rescue darvocet and rare Flexeril. Also have been given Ativan for anxiety, which I have never in my life experienced. Was given Lithium for the out-of-control depression, but got Lithium Toxicity and will NEVER, EVER go near that crap again.
    I truly am a totally normal person, with what used to be a normal life and am so desperate for help I've become pathetic. I feel like a total loser and a drain on my fiance. We can't even get married as planned, as it may affect my disability status.
    Isn't this just a hornet's nest of a life?

    Any help?
    T in Tacoma.
  • i feel really lucky now.... sorry to hear about your troubles.... wish i could help i was lucky and had a fantastic surgeon, i get the depression ting, there is nothing worse han going from independant to totally dependant, and the people closest to us take the most strain and bear the brunt of the frusration... things will getbetter they have to, i am sure they will.
Sign In or Register to comment.