Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Dropped a pill in my coffee

dmoonchildddmoonchild Posts: 383
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Pain Medications
I just went to take my breakthru med and it fell into my hot cup of coffee and disintigrated. If I drink the coffee will the pill still work? Silly me.

• sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I'm pretty sure it will work just the same. At least in my opinion it shouldn't be any different to taking it and then drinking the coffee...right? I know how important each and every pill is and the fear of having to do without them! Hope it worked for you. Have a good day.
  • Thanks Sunny. Next time Ill be more careful. Have a great day. I drank the whole cup about 1/2 hour ago and Im not getting the usual releif. Oh well. Now I know.
  • What a bummer - dropping it in your coffee that is. At least you still "had" it.

I keep my purse in my vehicle at home, because that's where I keep my meds. One nite, I went outside to take my medicine and as I opened the bottle, tilted it to get my pill, a car passed on the highway where I live and blew their horn (apparently saying "hello" to someone they know). It scared me - I jumped and a "bunch" of my medication fell. The ones that fell in my car were put back in the bottle but the ones that fell under the carport had to be thrown away - at least 10-15. Why? Because I had just sprayed my bricks and all around leading to the door with bug spray (we get alot of mosquitos and roaches in my neck of the "woods"). I hated doing that so much, believe me! I have never told anyone about that. ESPECIALLY my doctor! I just had to make do with what was left until my next appt. That meant I had to be sure I took it easy and did not do my usual over the limit activities.

So, anytime you feel like an idiot for anything, just think of me and remember that you aren't all that bad!

• After my SCS surgery on Monday I asked for oral pain control before being discharged. SO the Nurse got me two 10/500 hydrocodones to take. She dropped one on the floor, had to get a form, fill it out and get it witnessed while she threw the soiled pill in the sharps container.

My wife offered to sign as a witness even though another nurse had done so. The dropsie nurse gladly had her sign the second line for additional witnesses! The nurse said it is safer to get anyone who sees it to sign off, better safe than sorry when proving that meds had to be disposed of!
  • We should a whole topic on crazy stories about how people drop, damage, lose or otherwise somehow destroy their meds. I bet if there is a pharmacist here they would have some great stories. I know its not funny at the time when we are in pain but maybe we can all get a little laugh about it after the fact. Outrageous things can and do happen every day.
    Jeaux: you have SUPER roaches now running around!
  • definately drink the coffee. it would be the same as swollowing the pill and then having coffee. drink it for sure i would.
  • Forget the phrase "cream or sugar?"...:)
    Don't feel bad, we all have those moments.

Take Care
  • cream sugar and morphne? lol.
  • LOL!

OMG... your replies are soooo funny!

I sat here and read through the replies you posted earlier today and just laughed my head off. (Well, not literally... but you sure gave my abdominal muscles a great work out!)

You have an awesome attitude and your sense of humor is right up my alley.

Sure hope you had a good day today with little pain. How have you been feeling?

Thank you, again, for the laughs and smiles.

You're grrrrrrreat!

Tammy :)