Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi, I'm glad to have found you!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Chronic Pain
:))) Hi, my name is Rose,
I think being here will be beneficial for me. I have had four lower back surgeries and the one neck fusion at three levels which is not coming along as well as expected.
So I had the last low back surgery, 3rd. fusion and am now fused one disc below the waist. I had two fusions prior from a doctor who screwed me up but went into recovery from pain meds in 1995 and stayed clean until 2006 when I started having terrible leg pain. My doctor sent me to the best neurosurgeon who discovered the discs above the fusion were leaking. So he place 8, 8 inch screws in my lower back to stabilize the area and tow of the screws into my pelvis bones.

He was honest enough to tell me it may not be as successful as I'd like it to be so I pondered for six months while trying epidurals, P.T. with bad results. I finally decide I had to go for it. What a horrific ordeal pain-wise and if my neck doesn't heal properly I will have to have the same surgery with screws and all on my neck.

Besides living with the pain and being on medication which I fought off for one year, living on 12 Advil a day, my doctor finally convinced me with my husbands help to start taking pain meds. My recovery was so important to me evn though for all those years I lived in pain.

As I asked my doctor why am I still in such pain, his answer was you walked around with a failed fuson for ten years, I have scar tissue which has attached itself to my spinal nerves and sever arthritis. I do have degenerative disc disease, which everyone has as they age but he says mine is advanced for my age, 50, and I have lousy bones. Probably hereditary because my dad had two hip replacements at 50.
I walk around like I'm fine because I have two adopted children from India, ages 11, and 8, and I know they kn ow of my pain but I try not to show it in front of them. I don't say much to my husband because he has taken not only his job but mine also. So for two and a half years I walk around wearing this facade that I'm not doing bad but how long can I keep this up?
I have plans to see a therapist when he calls me back and I do spend a lot of time in prayer.
The mind is a very powerful tool as I use it to it's capacity but my soul is worn down.
I have to pick and choose what I can attend because some things take usually three days to recover from.
I have had hired help for the last two and a half years who now cleans and does laundry. Steps really put me in trouble and our finances are going down hill with all I pay her.
We own a restaurant so you can imagine how busy my husband is.
In conclusion as my daughter told me "Mom, you're a strong woman and you don't have to prove it to anyone, just meditate on that thought". Out of an 11 year olds mouth.

I try my best but the pain is I don't drive. I refuse to drive on morphine, soma and vicodin. I also take Neurontin,
Cymbalta, and trazadone. To drive would be committing a crime. I have learned through this suffering what is of importance and what is not. So in a good way it has changed me. I have to keep focused on the light at the end of the tunnel or I'll crack. I won't let this beat me today, ask me tomorrow, I will beat it.

Thank you for being here for me.

• Welcome to the forum my dear. :H I am so sorry you are suffering so much. I will keep you in my prayers each and every day! >:D< Here's wishing you, no more suffering, ever!

Evelyn :H
    Had PLIF in 2008 and a Laminectomy. One level fusion, L4-L5.
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Hi Rose

it was nice speaking to you in chat, and look forward to chatting again soon.

You will find the site supportive, with some helpful information.

Tc Liz

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • O:) O:) O:)

Thank you, you're a dear angel. We have to eat dinner now so I will write tomorrow.
    Thank you for your prayers, that's all we have, right?

• Hi Rose, I am also new here and I love it. Your story sounds alot like mine. I have had a total of 5 back surgries with a laundry of mylograms, epidurals, injections, ect. All that ending in a fusion from L2-S1, with the same "Hardware". I admire your determination to not let all that take you down. It easily can. I believe with a good support system(family) and good state of mind you can get through this. Prayer is always good. For three years I did not drive. Then I realized I had been missing out on so much ( I have 2 children and 2 grandchildren that are my world). Like you, I take alot of meds including Vicodin,Zanaflex,Relafen,Ambien,Diazepam. Most of the time if I have to drive some where I try to hold off on the meds until I get home. My husband is always asking me how I feel and I also say fine most of the time. He knows though that I am not being honest, but doesn't say. I'm sorry I am rambling, it's just soo nice to have found a place where people can really relate to what I have gone through for the past 10 years and I relate to them. I wish you well and I will say a prayer for you. Hopefully we will talk soon. Debbie
  • >:D< >:D<
    It'so good to be here! I like you, am a burden on my family so the worse thing I can do is complain when they are doing so much for me already.
    Not to say I'd like to so I have friends I can talk to but I'm also going to start seeing a therapist because the mind and body connection work together. The more I hold in, the more stress effects my body but I can't throw the towel in because I have a husband and two children to live for. I will pray for you too! you have a great attitude and that helps me too! I also see people who suffer more than I so I have much to be grateful for and I pray for the rest. I wish to talk more too! You sound like a very grateful person even after ten years.Wow. I do have my down days and those appear when normal, for others, events come along and I have to plan ahead and am not sure how long I'll hold up and hate to let the family down.
    Can I ask where your from? I live in Milwaukee, wisconsin

This discussion has been closed.