Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

going back to work to soon?????????

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi I am now 3 weeks post laminectomy and fusion surgery. I had my follow up appointment and my surgeon said that I can go back to work at 5 or 6 weeks. I own a residential cleaning company. He said I can go back to cleaning as long as I wear my brace. I am a little nervous and hope it is not too soon. Also he doesn't give any pain meds after his surgery except for the 1st intial week of recovery. I was also thinking that maybe I should go see my pain mangement doctor and ask for some pain meds incase I am sore from the cleaning jobs or do you think I should ask my surgeon for some??? Any advice would be greatly apprecicated. Kelli

• kellianne,' sounds like a lot of work too soon, especially while working in the brace. Maybe you can work a limited schedule until you get out of your brace?? I tried to go back to work at 3 months; spent my weekends in bed recovering,after 3 weeks I was ready for a nervous breakdown and felt like I was slidng backward. I took off again from work for 3 more weeks and will start with a much reduced scedule. Sitting is the hardest for me, and I have a desk job., pyhisically and mentally and have take an additional 2 weeks where I do not check in at all,

Working 100% on my health, which now is the most important thing: streching/home exercises AM, walk, rest, stretch, walk, eat, walk again and do any other execrises. It is a pretty full day, but I can see the improvements now. 2 more full weeks with no office contact, so I don;t sneak in and start working, (I have a hard time tearing myself away .
    PS- someone is still cleaning my house, vacuuming, stairs, lifting, these are all hard.. take it easy~
  • It can be done at 6 weeks. I went back to work around the 6 week point, but I wish I would have waited a couple more weeks. Take your time and gradually ease back into things. If you over do it, you are going to hurt! Avoid BLT as much as possible.

I love these doctors who think they waive their magical scalples in your back and you awaken pain free. Geez. If your surgeon won't treat your pain, ask for a referral to a pain management doctor. I don't believe in taking meds unless you really need them, but these doctors have to understand that pain and discomfort don't magically disappear. A lot of people have good luck with Celebrex/Mobix (Cox-2 inhibitors), but it can cause stomach irritation. Others use tramadol post surgery. It is best to stay away from narcotics as long as you possibly can.

Just explain to the PM doctor what is going on and see what he/she says.

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • Hi
    I want to start off by saying I to own a cleaning business.
    My Dr told me that my heavy cleaning days were over.
    I was told that i could go at 8 weeks to supervise only.
    I have employees so my story might be different than yours. If i did not have employees he told me that i need to find another line of work.
    I am allowed to go after 3 months and do light dusting only but should never get back into the vacuuming,moping etc.
    Maybe he has no idea what fully cleaning a house is like but this just does not make sense to me.Do you work alone?
    Do you have more than 1 house a day?
    And about the pain meds- I could not imagine going without them so soon and you are going to be very unhappy when you get done cleaning a house. All that twisting,turning,bending,pushing,lifting etc can't be good for your fusion process so soon.
    Good luck i hope you get help with the meds.

• i went back after 3 months full duty at a plywood plant. I did not do my full responsabilitys. Im supossed to beable to l;ift 50 lbs from thwe floor lol cant and wont. Any way i push my self alittle at a time im not going to cripplr myself for a job. I do have to say my crew that works with me reraly covers my hinny lol. My doc said if it hurts dont do it. If it feels tight do it slow and easy and will eventually get easier. I was not ready for full duty. Dont push yourself to hard no job is worth it. Take care all