Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

360 plif 4 level fussion all from behind

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
hi fellow back suffers just trying to find out what iam in for. i will be having a 360 4 level fussion all from the back on 5-18. i have had 1 fussion at l3-l4 ih 07-2007.nowthey will be redoing that one and going all the way to s1.iam currently on opona er 29mg twice a day iam worried because this medicene is not for post opp pain and i dont want to go thru withdrawles after surgey i go for my pre opp on 5-12. iam just trying to get a head up allso how long of a surgey is this.iam 53 years old this will be my 4th lower back surgey hopefully my last.any info would be apreciated thanks david

• Welcome to the board.

If your surgeon will be operating from the back only, this is not a "360" fusion. "360" is common term for a surgery that is done in two parts: first surgery is done from the front. Then the patient is closed, flipped over and a second incision is made posteriorly and the operation is done from the back. This way the spine is enforced from both the front side and the back side.

If yours will be done from the back only, this is a PLIF.

Ask your surgeon about the pain meds you are on now. He may want you to begin to wean yourself off them now, or have some suggestions as to how you should handle this problem. You might want to call the office and ask about this now since your pre-op appointment is just a week prior to your date for surgery.

Hope this surgery will be the charm and you will soon be feeling better.
  • hi gwennie17 thanks for the info. maybe my n/s has a new procedere because on the paper work the surgey is called posteior 360 plif lumbar(all from behind)fusion. they say the front and back of spinal column will be fused all from the back. i hope you are wrong it would be a bumer to have 2 slices. thanks and i will let you know.
  • That is what 360 stands for 360 degrees (all around in a circle) ...if he is doing a 360 then it will be form the front and back. If it is PLIF, then it will be from the back...

Hope that helps - let us know what you find out

• dina thanks for the reply the n/s says hes doing a 360 plif all the work being done thru 1 slice in the lower back .thanks david
  • Well, you'll have something to talk about when you see him next. Be sure to find out exactly what he is planning on doing. And let us know! That would be a misnomer if you have a 360 done just from the back. I do not know how he could access the "front" side of the spine from the back....Sounds interesting.

When do you see him again and when is the surgery?
  • hi gwennie17 i see dr. thomas on 5-12 surgey is set for 5-18 i have read the procedere over and over i will type it word ford for you.the operation that is recommended is called a posterior 360 lumbar fusion,which means that we do a fusion in both thefront and rear part of the lower spinal column,but all the work is done through one incision in the skin of the lower back.he really is a very highly regaurd n/s in this area.i will confirm again on tuesday but i called his office talked with his nurse and she told me the paper work is correct and this is how he will perform the surgey.thanks.david