Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

360 plif lumbar fusion all done from one incision in back only

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
iam i the only one to know about this surgey

• I was just reading about this. Some surgeons do all the work from the back. The process of inserting cages etc...and screws is all done from the back. It is not very common. I don't know if anyone on here has ever had it done. I never heard of it till you mentioned it. I looked it up on the internet to learn a little more and I found an doctor who mentions it on his website.

I would be very interested in learning more about this since it is not common. Let us know how you make out with it all!!

Good Luck!
  • There seems to be lots of confusion regarding 360° fusions. Would you please clarify the clinical components that constitute a 360° spinal fusion?

Clinically, a 360 spinal fusion is an anterior and posterior fusion of a vertebra performed during the same operative session. There are two ways to accomplish a 360 fusion. In the conventional one, an incision is made in the patient's front (abdominal region) to do the anterior fusion, then the patient is flipped over and a second incision is made in the back to do the posterior fusion. The second method is a single incision approach, where both the anterior and posterior faces of the vertebra are reached through one incision. Depending on the patient's clinical situation, this single incision can be either posterior or transforaminal but not anterior.

A 360° spinal fusion requires that both the front and back of the vertebra be fused. Fusion is a "welding" process by which two or more vertebrae are fused together with bone grafts, a bone equivalent, or a bone substitute into a single solid bone. In a 360 fusion, bone or bone substitutes are placed between the vertebrae to promote the anterior fusion. Then for the posterior fusion, bone is laid along the transverse processes of the vertebrae; this is sometimes called laying bone "in the gutters". Alternately, some surgeons accomplish the posterior fusion by "roughing up" the facets and then laying the resulting bone chips posteriorly.

Spinal instrumentation, like screws and rods and plates, is almost always used posteriorly as well. Just note that the instrumentation is used for fixation and stability, not fusion per se. Regardless of the instrumentation, it's the use of bone grafts or chips, a bone equivalent, or a bone substitute that actually constitutes the fusion. For a 360 fusion, these bone devices must be used both front and back, with or without instrumentation.

• dina ihank you so very much for helping clear this up. i have faith in my n/s and i will keep yall up to date.i would think if all work can be done wirh one cut it will be a lot eaiser to recover.thanks again for your interist in this and other peoples health.
  • had this exact surgery. 360 fusion PLIF done entirely through my back. And the surgery was a wonderful success - my back is beautifully fused. Didn't affect my permanent nerve damage, though, and I have a SCS to help with the pain.

Take care,

• hi cheri.iam so glad that i found someone that not only had this surgery but allso had susesfull.i allso have cronic nerve damage only hope i get a better quailty of life a better state of mind.can you tell me how long of a surgery it is and how bad of a recovery was it. i understand each person is different. i allready had a tlif @l3-l4,the first night was a nihgtmare.they had me on dularted it did not touch my pain the next day put me on perciout and was 10 times better . thanks again good luck david.
  • I had a PLIF 360 fusion with BMP, screws, rods and cage. This was all done through one incision on my back. Dr did the method where he roughed up the facets and layed the bone chips on there. I am only 3 months out so I can't say whether it worked or not because I am still in a good bit of pain and limited in activity. please keep me posted on your success so that we may compare notes on our recoveries.