Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Question? Fusion after Laminectomy

darbymai59ddarbymai59 Posts: 55
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
My question is: Is it possible to get a fusion after a failed lumbar laminectomy?

• I suppose there are some cases where this is not possible, but, it is done quite frequently. Often a surgeon will try a laminectomy first. If it doesn't work, or take care of the pain, then he will move on to a fusion.
  • Thanks Gwennie, Thanks for your reply.

I wasn't sure if a surgeon would go further after a failed Laminectomy. I'm not sure if mine has failed but I do still have a lot of pain, especially when I walk. I'll find out Wednesday May 13th.

• Hi Darby

I had a laminectomy/discectomy/lateral decompression last year which didn't relieve my pain, and my next step will be fusion - seeing second neurosurgeon in mid July. I have a friend who had two laminectomies before her surgeon did a fusion and she's feeling so much better now.

Hope you get some pain relief soon.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • You know, in most cases it is not that the disk herniates again. Rather, it is because the first surgery was incomplete. I was just reading about this yesterday...In years past, it was more the custom to remove the entire disk, but then the patient was left with bone on bone which caused its own set of problems. Now they try to pull out the disk fragments and leave what they can. When pain lingers or redevelops, it is often because there is still a little piece of the disk that has floated free and is now pressing on the nerve, or causing some sort of problem.

This makes sense to me and accounts for why so many people feel OK for a little while, but then have the same pain return.

When you have a fusion, the surgeon usually removes the entire disk and replaces it with a spacer or some type of cage or just pieces of bone and bone material. It then all grows together so that it is one solid mass, and there is nothing to slide around.