Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Now Dr. wants to try an "isolated C-6 steroid injection"

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Spinal Injections
He said it is done with a very fine needle through the side of the neck.

Has anyone had something similar done?

My first ESI was VERY painful with 2 of Versed. I screamed and cursed through the whole thing. :O

My second ESI was great. Felt nothing with 4 of Versed. No cursing. }:)

• CAmille,

Sounds like to me they are going to do a selective nerve block? I have gone through several of them. If that is the nerve that is firing you will get some relief from the injection. The ones I have had done were done as a diagnostic. The doctor who put them in asked me to keep a journal for the following two weeks to see how the pain was and to return the journal. The injection itself. I admit, was a bit painful, but it is very short lived. They did put a local in before the injection. Some doctors will offer you a sedative before the injection. I myself don't take the sedative cause it means I have to have a ride. I did have one doctor do it who I called trigger. He would say ready. aim, fire and shot was in. You should be fine and like I say if it is the nerve that is firing you will like the relief. The injection itself is done under flouroscopy as is done with the esi's. Difference in positioning and the needle they are using. For myself as soon as the meds wore off the pain returned, about 5 days latter. That was the indicator the nerve root was being compressed along with all the other test MRI, myelogram, and emg. Good luck and I hope you get some relief.
  • Tam pretty much said it all.
    Some ppl have extreme pain, others ALOT of pressure.
    Its over and done with in a second. even though it seem like forever.
    Now your arm may go numb so you may want a driver. I just answered another post and that should be stated in paperwork (if you have some) about the procedure.
    Now my new PM does not use anything either, but by the look in my face he said he could give me a jab in the arm w/ a relaxant. He doesn't do IV"s for these.
    ESI is a bit different as they are guiding the needle up into your spine to the exact spot.
    Mine was also painful w/ pain medication and relaxants.
    But the SI joint one I flew through. Yeah it felt like a elephant on my back and I couldn't walk out of the office due to the numbness. (boy was that nice) LOL but it all worked and I never needed one again.
    This time I am having them in the facet joints and not the disk itself. I think I found my self a winner in PM diagnosing the right areas!!
    Good luck!