What's going on with me?
I know it might be long, but please read and help me figure out whats going on with me.
Both my General Practioner and Chiropractor do not think that my problems are disc related. GP thinks it was a bad muscle spasm. Chiro isnt sure but thinks it could be mostly stress. I went to a Neurosurgeon just in case and he said I had a bulge but it wasnt impinging, if anything I should just do physical therapy for a few weeks and Ill be ok. I did 3 weeks of physcial therapy at the hospital outpatient center and they discharged me. We only did retraction exercises and I was fine.
My goal in posting this is to find out if anyone else has had the same symptoms to me and if its disc related or just muscle problems caused by stress or something else. My symptoms arent as bad as they could be, I am just worried that I am so young it could get worse. I have not had any "traditional" disc signs yet, no burning, numbing, or tingling down my arm. I almost wish I didnt get the MRI so i wouldnt just blame the disc, because I hear there are a lot of people with disc bulges that dont cause any problems.
I am a 24 year old male. I am in Law School (stress). I am generally pretty active and try to do cardio 5 times a week. I used to be overweight but lost about 150 pounds 5 years ago and have kept it off since then. I have bad posture and am working on it. My shoulders always seem to roll forward. ALSO, i have heard digestive problems could be a cause and I want to note that I talked with my doctor about 6 months before all this happened about how I literally burp within 10 seconds of putting anything in my mouth and I only have bowel movements about 1 time every 2-3 days.
About 2 months ago I noticed a knot in my neck right where my neck meets my back
The next day, I woke up with a EXTREMELY stiff neck, it hurt and my range of motion was cut by 60%.
I went to ER at one point and they did x-ray, they thought it was just a muscle spasm. Prescribed Flexeril.
I tired it for 2 weeks and it really did nothing for me. In the meantime, I had a cervical MRI done just to see if it found anything. Finally, two weeks after it started the stiff neck went away.
4mm C5C6 disc protrusion which is mildly compressing the spinal cord but no neural encroachment is noted.
For the past month and a half I have had the following symptoms:
1. A sort of pressure feeling in the back of my head that is only relieved when I have a chiropractor stretch adjust me and he says it frees up the pressure that was on my brain stem.
2. My upper back gets extremely tired, mostly my left shoulder blade. Unless I get massaged every 3rd or 4th day it feels like I just did the work out of my life. Could this be related to the fact that I am trying to stand up straight now, as I am trying to improve my posture.
3. Burning sensation on my upper left shoulder where it connects to my neck. Found out that was due to REALLY TIGHT scalians. So if i have my scallians massaged it got rid of the burning. So that burning sensation was really caused by the muscle tightness.
Advanced Biostructural Correction (Chiropractic Adjustment) - 1 time per week just started last week
- Relief: Usually last a day or two, or sometimes good one day and bad the next throughout the whole week. Then again, I just started this.
Massage (Scallians, Upper back, and Cranial muscles) - 3 times per week
- Relief: good for a few days
Vax-D Treatment (Flexian / Distraction)- 5 times per week for 2 weeks (DONE)
Relief: none noted
Physical Therapy ( 3 times per week for 3 weeks):
Relief: discharged, and no noticeable improvement
Accupuncture - 2 times per week
Relief: none noted yet
Flexeril - 1 at night for 2 weeks (discontinued use)
Relief: none but helped sleep
Nortiptyline - 1 at night for 1 month
Relief: none just helps sleep
At-Home Traction - 1 a day as needed - just tried it a few times
Relief: none noted
What do you think? Disc? Stress? How can I fix this?