Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Restlessness in Neck and Shoulder...Please help!!

CrewsnCCrewsn Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello! I am new to this site and desperate for some help! I've been having severe restlessness in my lower neck and upper shoulder for a few years. It has been getting progressively worse lately. It is to the point where I can't sleep for more than a few hours without being woken up by it. It is so unbearable most of the time that I have the urge to stab myself in the shoulder! If I have even one beer or glass of wine I don't sleep at all and it makes it so much worse. I had a massage right before this started and the masseuse pressed way to hard, I'm not sure that is the cause of this but it is in the same time period.

I have seen what feels like every doctor in my area and NOTHING. I have been seeing a chiropractor for a year,therapy, pain management, primary care doctors, an orthopedic surgeon and a rehabilitation doctor. I've had an MRI, X-rays, every muscle relaxer imaginable, trigger point injections, pain patches, anti-inflammatories heat, cold and even the restless leg syndrome drug mirapex. I've heard every explanation from muscle issues to built up lactic acid.

Literally, no one has been able to help me, and after every doctor's appointment I have left in tears and gotten more and more depressed. I feel like because I don't say that I have "pain" per-say they don't take me seriously. Trust me, if it were pain I wouldn't be reaching out to strangers on the internet! I cannot go on much longer and I don't know what else to do. I'm only 23 years old and I can't sleep or even go out with my friends! Why will these doctors not take me seriously? I'm at the end of my rope and I just don't know what to do. If there are ANY suggestions or advice you have no idea how grateful I would be. Thank you so much!!

• sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Hi and welcome. I'm sorry I don't have any advice for you but I'm sure someone here will be able to help. Hang in there. Good luck.

• I just got trigger point injections AGAIN today, and the rock hard muscles are calmed down, but the restlessness is still there! I'm so desperate! ANY advice will help thank you!!
  • Have you tried benadryl? Healing from a herniated cervical disc, I had serious restlessness in my arm and shoulder. It wasn't pain, more of a restless leg syndrome-type feeling in my arm and shoulder, where I would literally have to shake my arm around to get it to go away.

My neurosurgeon suggested benadryl. I took it and it worked! I still had occasional restlessness, but the benadryl worked for the most part. It's pretty cheap and relatively safe, so it's worth a try. Good luck to you.
  • For the past year I've had problems with my leg, a wound that won't heal, around the wound my skin is very itchy. The whole thing is very painful and with the itching too I've been unable to sleep. I've been on hydrocodone for several months but my doctor is not keen on giving them to me any more for fear of me getting addicted to them. Since then I noticed a restlessness in my neck and shoulders, it sounds exactly as you described. It's really not a pain but it drives me insane, it is worse if i lie down. I feel like i need to rotate my arm from right back in my shoulder blade to ease it although it doesn't really work.
    I thought it was caused by my extreme tiredness, i'm having nights where I never sleep at all. But then last week I took some Benadryl and the restlessness came on about half an hour later, I suddenly realised they could be related since I take Benadryl daily. So i stopped taking the Benadryl in tablet form and just use the cream or gel that is topical. Since then the restlessness stopped.
    I did some research out of curiosity to see if it was really the Benadryl or if it were just coincidence and I found out that Restless Leg Syndrome can be aggravated by Benadryl along with other muscle relaxers and even cold medicines. However for some people it actually helps.
    Anyway, sorry to be so long winded in my reply, but if you do take Benadryl already, maybe for hayfever or something try not taking it for a while, If you're not taking it or anything similar maybe Benadryl will actually help you. The other thing i read that could help with restless leg syndrome which sounds very similar to our neck problem was quinine which is found in tonic water in small doses, so try a glass of tonic water. I also heard hydrocodone, codeine and ultram help with it which explains why it only started when i stopped taking the hydrocodone.
    If you want any more information try a search online for Restless Leg Syndrome.
    Hope this helps.
  • Perhaps myofascial pain? Also I've heard from tattoo artists that one beer or alcoholic drink can cause people to twitch and mess up tattoos. For some reason alcohol has that effect
  • Thank you for taking the time to post! It makes me feel better to know that I am not the only one out there with this! I don't take Benadryl daily but I tried it a few times, and as with you it didn't help the restlessness at all. I've been in pain management now for a month, and the trigger point injections give me really bad steroid flush and make me super sick. They prescribed me an anti-seizure medication called gabapentin (not sure if I spelled that right). It seemed to help at night for the first week, but the restlessness is coming back, and it doesn't help during the day so what do I do between 5 and 11? Also, when it gets to the point where I don't sleep for a few days I take a hydrocodone, which helps, but they are not prescribed to me for this, just left over from random injuries or pain. Plus, no doctor will prescribe a narcotic for a 23 yr old female, and I don't want to have to live my life on pain killers!

Visual, I don't think that I mentioned before that I am a hair stylist and the restlessness flares up when I stop moving for the day. Do you have this problem? Also, when I was in college I waterskied on the college team and had a few bad falls, but the restlessness didn't start until a year or so after that. I also had a massage where the guy pressed way to hard and it started a few months after that. I would just like to compare notes with you and try to find a common denominator! Thanks and take care!!
  • I've had the problem in the past but then it was just the odd night and quite late at night when I was probably over tired. This recent bout started about three months ago which is when I stopped taking hydrocodone. Which makes me think I perhaps had the problem before but the hydrocodone I was taking for my leg was masking it. It always starts at night, when I'm relaxed (as you say, when you stop working it comes on) however it had gotten so bad that some nights it would not have gone away by morning and the whole of the next day it would be bothering me.

At the moment I'm not working, I did own my own chocolate store but with the recession and the problems with my leg and such I decided to cut my losses and close, that was about a year ago. Since then I haven't been able to work because of the problems with my leg, however on good days I've been trying to fix up the house, painting and decorating and I have also spent a lot of time at my computer ( I used to do some graphic art and I'm trying to get back into it) Because of the computer thing I did think maybe it was some kind of repetitive strain injury.

As for injuries, that was something else I was thinking about, about four years ago my left shoulder used to hurt when I moved my arm, it was as though bones in the joint grated together or something. I didn't really do anything about because I thought it would just go away (I'm not very good about going to see doctors), until that is I fell down some stairs and hurt the same shoulder really bad, it turned out when I fell I got a hairline fracture. I mentioned then about the pain I had before I fell and they said the xray showed a calcium deposit on my shoulder. I forget what the name of that is but apparently it's something that affects women more so than men and is reasonably common, they don't know what causes it. All that happens is a small amount of calcium deposits itself on a bone and causes a hard lump, which is why I felt liked the bones grated, it was actually grating against the calcium (at least that is my understanding of it) it wasn't really painful until I moved my arm. I have been wondering if maybe I had more of this calcium around closer to my neck making it feel uncomfortable but I don't think it feels the same, hard to remember because that was four years ago and then I had the fracture as well. I have also thought about the possibility that the fracture is causing it. I know many people have pain where they have had broken bones in the past.

But all of these are just thoughts, they don't really seem to fit because they caused pain and this isn't really pain as such it's more aching or restlessness.

However I have not had the problem since I stopped taking the Benadryl, I don't know if it's just a coincidence. I don't think the Benadryl 'causes' it but just aggravates it because like I said earlier I had the problem before when I know I wasn't taking Benadryl but then it wasn't so often, lately it had been happening every night and I was taking Benadryl every night.

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to throw out there as much information as possible so that you can look for anything common in your own experience.
  • So they won't prescribe you narcotic/pain killers? Because you're female? I don't understand. I am 27 female and I take firocet and tylenol 3...Or are you talking about something harder? I've tried the fentanyl patch but that makes me really sick. I can't really handle vicodin or morphine.

I personally suffer from neck pain, shoulder and upper back tightness, muscle spasms, twitching, tight arm feeling, burning/numb fingers, head/nerve pain , sometimes left leg pain.

Ive tried PT, it helped while I was doing it , after not so much. I have a tens unit that helps a bit...Cold and hot pads for the neck. Memory foam pillows... Soft collar.

Ive tried triggers and nerve blocks. Sometimes they work sometimes they dont.

I might try epidurals next.
    Have you tried those? Same as triggers but in a different are, more directly in the disc than by the nerve.

Do massages help? When your back and stuff is loose does that relieve any of the nerve or other pains? It usually brings the pain down for me, if I can get to that point.
  • Thank you all again for replying! To answer your questions, Visual, I have had a few of the doctors talk about calcium deposits, and those causing the restlessness. I do not, however have these. I am sorry to hear about your store, and I hope that things will start to get better soon! I am so happy to hear that the problem with your shoulder has stopped. Hopefully it stays that way!

Butterfly, I am also sorry to hear about your pain. To answer your questions, I have tried Tylenol 3, and I have had at least 3 doctors tell me they will not give me anything stronger, which is fine because my insurance will be up in a few months and I won't be able to afford the scripts. Epidurals are also next in line with the pain management doctor, but I am worried about having a reaction with the steroid like I did the trigger points. Also, this is crazy, but massage makes the restlessness so much worse. I try to see my chiropractor every few weeks (I've had to cut back a little because of the cost) and she does muscle work, which is amazing everywhere but my shoulder. The massage makes it much more restless for about a day after. Well, thank you for all of your tips and please let me know if the epidural works for you. I hope it does! Enjoy your 4th of July!
  • hi Crewsn, I am sorry about your situation, boy this is difficult for you i am sure. The signals your body is sending you is for a reason and figuring out what that is can be complicated. What did your MRI and Xray tell the doctors?

If I were you I would keep taking the anti inflams with the tylenol 3 to keep things calmer. I would try soaking in a very hot bath every night before bed and really soak that shoulder. During the day I would apply ice and then heat for 15 minutes each time several times a day. The medicine the doctors put you on are to calm nerve pain, I have been on that. It should also make you sleepy. It made me sleep better when I took it. Also I would get into aqua therapy, water is a wonderful aid to improve nerve problems and muscle pain. The pain may be worse after you finish swimming but should improve each time. applying a heating pad may help too while your sleeping they automatically shut off after 2 hours. Anything is worth a try. Also it doesn't have to be a current injury in your shoulder for it to hurt. You could of hurt your self as a child or teenager and can cause problems later in life. It a delayed reaction sorta. childhood injuries haunt us a decade later in life my surgeon told me this when I needed my spine surgeries.
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.
  • Hi all! I so appreciate all the replies. Just an update. After all the trigger point injections failed to work, my pain management dr. did some facet injections to kill the nerves in my neck. He did a diagnostic test first, which helped, but the injections didn't. I have gotten two rounds of epidural steroids in the last few weeks. They haven't helped so far, and my dr said the next step is surgery. We have not gone anymore in depth than that, but it makes me nervous. They prescribed me hydrocodone for the last week which has taken the restlessness down 10 fold, but today switched me to tramadol 100mg per day so we will see how that works! If anyone has any experience with surgeries for nerve pain in the neck please advise! Also, I am a cosmetologist and I can't be out of work for too long. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond!!
  • Not sure what they want to operate on. Your original post says they can't find anything as the cause. Sounds like they are guessing and trying to treat symptoms no damage.

Anyway I would definately get a second opinion before any surgery. While some people seem to have great results many more find that the surgery was not a cure at all. It seems to be like it is more of a stabilizer than a fix.

Good luck finding the right treatment. Remember if you don't like the doctor try another.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,849
    Just seems like some of the things you posted so far make me think your problems can be controlled without surgery.
    First, I would stop seeing any chiropractor. I have nothing against them, but when it comes to spinal disc problems, I stay away from those folks.
    When all of the treatments and testing you have done has not helped, I am going to step outside the box for a second.
    By no means am I saying that this should be done, only that I present something that can be looked into.

Deep Tissue Massage Now, I am not talking about the type you can get a Physical Therapy.. The best PT's will tell you they can only get so far.
    The purest sense of Deep Tissue Massage was born out ouf Thailand. The person I see (now 48) had been training in Thailand from the time he was 15.
    He has been in the States for over 20 years now and fully understands the various system.

He is aware about the way USA insurance companies work. In addition, he knows more about muscles, discs, ligaments, bone spurs, etc that covers about 90% of my body. Over the year he has taken each one of themto make sure it works.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I've been having the same exact issue. What really jumped out at me is you mentioned that it got worse after drinking alcohol and I was just having a glass of wine before it started up tonight.

I finally decided to start looking on the internet to see what this could be. It feels like I have over strained the muscle but I did'nt do anything active today.

I have never had a history of back, spine, or neck problems. However, I have had my share of very bad stiff neck episodes. I also had an episode a few years back when I was working at a desk for long hours filling out Tax Forms (Income Tax Class) and developed reoccuring back pain. I never went to see a doctor about it. Figured it would heal on it's own so I took it easy, took Aleve, and alternated heat and cold. It has flared up time to time since then. I am now starting to wonder if I might actually have a serious injury.

I've considered going to a Chiropractor but it sounds like most of you haven't have good results from that.

Have you ever had a headache along with this feeling? I notice I get a headache with it. Like you all mentioned its a real nagging bothersome feeling and it makes it impossible to get comfortable.

I don't take Benadryl because it really knocks me out but I'm going to give it a try now. I will let you know how it works.

If anyone out there has any new info to add it would be great.

• Hi Crewsn,

I am terrible sorry to hear you have been suffering from neck pain for a few years!! I really know how you feel as I am a neck pain sufferer (and many other pains) since 6 months ago and it feels so dreadful!

So much for spending on all sorts of treatments, like many of the ones you have gone through, it didn't really work so I have decided to look for natural remedies after the medications I was given are starting to give me side effects like stomach problems and more. :(

Quite recently, I came across an article that states that the root of many types of pain is inflammation, which means if we can get rid of inflammation, the problem can go away in the long run. This to me, is a better solution than treating the symptomS or treating the wrong part of the body.

What I am doing now is to change my diet by intaking anti-inflammatory foods, some light stretches (which I have to be careful since doing it incorrectly make things worse - so do not take it too far if you are already in pain), trying to sleep well at night by making a few changes like no TV in room, changing my curtains into thick ones so the street light doesn't come in and I am also starting to use natural herbal pain rub on top of it!

So far, I am noticing relief in my neck. If you have not tried these methods, give it a go. I didn't think it would help me at the first instance, but it might be fate that what I did seem to be starting to work!

I will post again and update about my progress.. at the mean time, I am not going to give up or take any chances in eliminating my neck pain. There must be a solution that works and hopefully it is the ones I have chosen that will work for me - it seems to be doing its job so far.

All the best to us!!
  • After I took the Benadryl I was able to sleep a few hours later. Woke up in the morning with no issues. So, the Benadryl definitly helped me.

I plan on continuing to research this issue and maybe I will find something helpful. If I do I will post it here.
  • @Crewsn. after scouring the internet, your entry finally caught my eye as the perfect description for what's been ailing me for over a year now.i have that same haunting irritation, not pain, just a restless feeling like i need to flex or contract my muscles to make it go away, then resulting in a massive headache each time. the only time i don't have it is when i sleep, or am near sleep. then i am at peace. i have tried to review everything that every happened to me in that time frame to search for an answer and so far am not sure. it plagues me all day long every day til i feel like crying, i just want relief. i have changed my diet,exclude all processed foods, don't drink, smoke, take drugs. i exercise, take basic supplements,and am healthy in most ways but this thing came on rather suddenly and will not leave me. have you made any progress? anyone else?
  • MrpentiumMMrpentium Posts: 1
    edited 11/07/2012 - 5:57 AM
    First of all, Crewsn, you have my sympathy. I know what you are feeling, and it sucks. In the past when I was less atuned to what was happening, it would let it escalate into a full blown headache, with pain rediating to the top of my head, eyes and ears, where it feels as if my glasses were squeezing my head.

I have had a simular situation over the past 15 months or so. The best solution I have found is prayer/meditation, and self-massage. It also is important to be aware of the discomfort/pain as it starts, so you can CONSCIOUSLY RELAX YOUR SHOULDERS, and be aware when you begin to hold tension in your neck and shoulders.

It has been several months since anyone has posted here. I would like to know how you are doing, these days.
  • read my thread. cure 4 neck pain, it will save u my brotha!
  • Hello,

I have joined this forum as I also have shoulder restless issues.

I work 9am-6pm every weekday from a computer, and have been for the last 7/8 years. Two years ago, I had a really sore shoulder, and felt like I had to protect it, I couldnt lay on it, touch it, sudden moments made the pain worse, I saw my doctor, who advised me it was repatitive strain injury due to using a computer mouse all day long. I was given some physiotherapy excercises, and told not to go to the gym for 6 weeks. When I used to go to the gym I didnt use weights, only cardio equipment. After the 6 weeks I went back to the gym, and everything seemed fine.

3 Months ago, I started to get aching shoulder, feels like its right inside my shoulder joint. I went to see a massage therapist, and she tried releasing the muscles in my shoulder as she explained they are very tight and my right shoulder is slightly forward than my left shoulder, and again, this is down to posture when at my computer working. I had treatment once every 10 days for about 6 weeks, and pain eased. I also went on vacation. I have been back from vacation for 4 weeks, and the restlessness is back. It feels like my shoulder is not comfortable where its positioned, and I find myself doing circle rotations, which don't really help. When I do move my shoulder in circles, or up and down it clunks. (Please excuse my descriptive terms, but I really do no know how else to describe.....)

Is this the feeling everybody else has? Has anybody had acupunture on their shoulder?

Thank you, Rebecca

• The first time I ever experienced restless shoulders was the day after my boyfriend gave my my first ever massage. Although I had had minor shoulder pains in the past I had not experienced restlessness. To this day I still experience the restlessness so often and it bothers me so much. During the evening and when I'm trying to sleep. Recently I had a bad knot in my shoulder and went for a professional massage that morning. That afternoon I had the worst case of restlessness ever. It was unbearable. I had to keep moving or stretching or I'd go insane. On an unrelated topic that morning I was doing an experiment to see if I had enough stomach acid so I drank one cup of water with baking soda to see of I burp. I was thinking that excess salt or sodium may have contributed to the restlessness. There may also be a link to dehydration and not drinking enough water. My pee is usually yellow. I find drinking lots of water helps ease the symptoms of restlessness. I also try doing jumping jacks or give my arms a hug (temple grandin style) then it releases some feel good chemicals. Hope this helps someone
  • Folks, I've suffered from chronic restless shoulder for nearly 15 years. That is, until November, 2013! I was vacationing in CA and my car broke down, and long story short, I spent the day chatting with the Dearlership Receptionist. When talk came around to our bodies breaking down with age, I described to her my 'restless shoulder' issue and that even though most of the time it came on at night when I trying to go to sleep, it was now happening even during the day! She told me that she had never met anyone that described HER syndrome so exactly and then told me what she did to get rid of it! We all know that over the counter medications can have some serious side effects. Well, with all of my research on the net and my exhaustive efforts of trying to find a doctor that could identify the cause of the restless shoulder, I COMPLETELY over looked the over the counter meds I was taking everyday! It was Diphenhydromine. I have been taking it daily ever since I had a severe reaction to Cats! I was taking 50-100mg 3-4 times a day and I started that about the same time the restless shoulder appeared. My friend at the dealership said that hers stopped as soon as she stopped taking the diphenydromine (which she took as a sleep aid) and has never had it since. It's been speculated that it may be the dehydration caused by taking excessive amounts of the drug, or it may be the drug itself. I really don't care which it is though, because I don't get the restless shoulder anymore! THANK YOU KELLI! You saved my life! Hope this helps!
  • Roisdosh1RRoisdosh1 Posts: 1
    edited 08/26/2015 - 9:46 PM
    Looking back I can see this is an old post but just wondering did anyone ever get to the bottom of their restless shoulder. I have been suffering from this for years now and it's just unbearable. Again as I don't have pain it is very hard for people to take me seriously but the discomfort is as bad as any pain. I constantly feel the need to move my shoulder to suppress the discomfort I am feeling. If anyone out there has any suggestions I would be greatful. I have been to physio, doctors , neurologists but no one has got to the bottom of it.

Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    ~ spine-health moderator, savage
  • a.l.t.waa.l.t.w Posts: 1
    edited 08/26/2015 - 9:45 PM
    Hi everyone!
    So I have had this same feeling, "restlessness" in my shoulder, for some time. I also experience the feeling in my lower back/buttocks. I also get headaches quite often.
    I was reading everyone's posts and felt obligated to tell my story because maybe some of you out there might benefit from it.
    To begin, have any of you been tested for Lyme disease? I was recently diagnosed with Lyme, and I feel like the diagnosis saved my life!... I now have an answer for so many of the strange symptoms I've been having!
    I have been experiencing MANY strange things for years, many of which I ignored. I'm not one to go to the doctor, so I tried to make excuses for my symptoms. For example, I told myself I was fatigued and my joints hurt because I was working long hours. I was having headaches daily and extreme muscle tightness in my neck/shoulders...I had been diagnosed with tension migraines as a teenager, so I figured that they were just coming back at this stage in my life. There were so many other symptoms that I can go into, but I'll spare everyone. My point is that I didn't seek medical help until things started to get worse... I was extremely fatigued, was having changes in vision (seeing bright flashes of light and "waviness" in my vision). I once got a headache that was so extreme that I had to go to the ER for a head CT. I found that my memory was getting very bad as well... I would have full conversations with my fiancé, only to have him bring up something about the conversation a day or two later and not remember talking to him at all in the first place. No doctor could figure out what was going on. I was referred to a neurologist, but all of my tests were negative.
    Finally, I had a doctor friend ask me if anyone had thought to test me for Lyme disease. I had heard of Lyme before, but I was very unfamiliar with it. I started researching, and found that I had about 90% of the common symptoms seen with Lyme. I had my doctor test for it, and it came back positive!! I finally had an answer!
    I have been seeing a Lyme specialist here in the states, but I wasn't happy knowing that I'd have to take antibiotics for long periods of time. We are unable to cure Lyme disease here in the states... we just do course after course of antibiotics.
    I found a doctor in Germany that specializes in CURING the disease. I am going to Germany next month for treatment.
    If this post is striking a chord with anyone out there, please feel free to get in touch with me and I will give you more information!
    Please try to look outside of the box... if your body is telling you something is wrong, don't ignore it! And don't rely on doctors to give you an answer.

Welcome to Spine-Health
  • PattiguardPPattiguard Posts: 1
    edited 08/26/2015 - 9:44 PM
    crewsn you have describe what I have been going through for the past 6 or so months!!! I have been doctor hopping trying to get one to figure out what is going on . Pain is really not the problem... I my neck and shoulders are tight ALL the time . They just will not relax... I just want to say thanks for putting it into words for me... Good luck. Right now I'm doing physical therapy 2 times a week for 6 weeks,I think it's getting worse. I've had massages , injections , acupuncture, hot cold therapy , mussel relaxers, pain killers NOTHING WORKS ! Just wanted to say I feel you ...

Welcome to Spine-Health
  • baynerbbayner Posts: 1
    edited 08/26/2015 - 9:43 PM
    I have had this same issue for the last 15 years. it drives me crazy and I have sounded crazy trying to explain it to the countless Drs over the years. I fall asleep without issue 70% of the time but i am awoken buy the ache/pain in my shoulder(s). This pain is only there during my sleep phase so once the pain wakes me it reduces but as soon as i drift off again its back. I have tried sleeping pills, quinine, cannabis and had blood test but nothing. The only thing i find helps is to take codeine once the pain starts and then wait 30-60 mins for it to kick in so i can drift back off to sleep. And as you all mention Alcohol makes it a lot worse.

I see Benydril has been mentioned, am i right in thinking this is cetirizine (antihistamine)?

I have spent years trying to find the cause of this and the only one that has ever made sense came from a physiotherapist who explained that the nerves from the brain follow a very small channel down the back of the neck and into the shoulders (i don't have the technical terms). When you go into sleep mode your muscles relax and she felt it was possible that my channel was smaller than most and the muscle relaxation caused by sleep was putting pressure on my nerves hence causing the pain. However she also felt that there would be no way to treat this and was at a loss as to how to move it forward.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to Spine-Health
  • Ted WardTTed Ward Posts: 1
    edited 10/06/2015 - 12:14 PM
    I had RLS for 5 years in right leg. sometimes spreading to shoulder. It is now very sdvere. conservative measures include no alcohol, and a daily magneseum and b12 supplement.. Maybe its the sugar in the alcohol.. I have a script for Ropinerole which almost always works quickly for the legs, but when it is severe and soreads to shoulders, only Vicodin helps. alcohol cannot br consumed if taking Vicodin.
    Ted Ward
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• I just signed up to respond to this. It sounds EXACTLY like nerve sensations to me. Nerve sensations can make muscles feel sore, tight, and can create sensations from sharp, tingly, jittery, numb and restless, and exactly what you describe, etc. And it does get worse when you aren't moving and trying to relax because you notice it more then.

During nerve episodes, you can take Amitriptyline. It works great. It specifically helps ease nerve sensations. Amitriptyline does make you sleepy so mostly take it at night if you can. I think there's many reasons why you could have nerve problems, from mild things like pinched nerves caused by tight muscles, diabetes, to structural injuries to the spine, or more severe neurological diseases like MS and many things in-between. I've heard even seizure conditions can cause similar symptoms too.

I have degenerative disc problems in my lower back and am pretty sure issues along the entire spine and cervical spine but they never did an MRI on the rest of the spine.
    Either way, I have had really bad neurological issues, much worse than yours, that I've pretty much cured by doing regular yoga for spine health and strength training to gain muscle mass. Both are equally as important. Gaining muscle is super important, and just doing the lame things the physios get you to do isn't going to cut it. You need to literally build muscle all over, not just on the back or else you'll get muscle imbalances.

I took the meds during bad episodes, but I haven't had a bad episode in quite awhile. 

I still can't jump or run long distance or else it will give me terrible neurological issues, but I can still heavy weight lift, play sports (sprint for short periods of time) and keep active, just staying away from jumping and hard impact that puts a lot of pressure on my spine. And it's not the end of the world if I do impact my spine, it's fairly easy to fix. Just the other day I jumped on the trampoline for 15 minutes to try and cure constipation and felt like I was having some kind of MS attack afterwards but doing yoga and taking Amitriptyline and sleeping helped to heal it up in about a day or so.

This discussion has been closed.