Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Does it go away?

WendeWWende Posts: 51
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Spinal Stenosis
Is it possible for spinal stenosis, facet arthopathy, spondylosis, or any of those things to go away if they are seen on MRI? My first mri from a yr ago says I have those things yet my second mri only a few weeks ago doesn't say anything about that. I am curious as to whether it is why the test is ordered as to what the report says. Since the reason that mri was ordered was to rule out the presence of my original herniation as a reason for my symptoms so that my doctor could either schedule my surgery or not! So I am just wondering if they dont include those things on the report if the doc doesnt specifically ask to report them or if those things indeed get better on their own.

Anyone else know anything about this?
Any info is appreciated,

• I don't know, but I'm curious what others have to say about it.
  • I have no medical training so I am speculating here...but it does not seem possible that the changes in the spine that you mention could go away from one MRI to another. The changes you mention are all mostly based on "bony" changes in the spine, things that would not go away such as swollen soft tissue would.

In some cases, the bone is wearing away, and in others, osteophytes are growing and things are narrowing (stenosis). These changes would all continue to be evident on a new MRI.

Perhaps the radiology report focused on other aspects of the MRI. Each report does not cover every single thing that is showing in the imaging. Perhaps whoever ordered the new MRI
    specifically asked about a particular suspected problem, so the person who wrote the report focused on that rather than on the other issues.

Is that what you were asking?
  • I figured it was because the reason for the MRI was to rule out the disc herniation for surgery. I am going to ask the NS about this when I go to my post op appt on May 22nd.

Paperwife how are you since your surgery?