Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

C5-C6 spinal stenosis with herniated disk

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,622
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:31 AM in Spinal Stenosis
Hi, I am new to this post and am hoping to get some help. I have just been diagnosed with a C5-C6 cervical Stenosis
with herniated disk at the same level. I am a nurse work for the VA Hospital and was assaulted by a patient. I was told by my doctor that if i did not get surgery ans had any type of accident this could end up paralyzed, this is really scary. I am on light duty at work and not allowed to lift more than 10 lbs. I am asking anyone out there for advice on surgery because I have seen very few back surgeries that have gone well, however, I don't see the patients once there discharged and don't know how they did in the long run. Please Help!!!
Autumn
advertisement

Comments

• Welcome to the board. I'm sorry no one has responded to your post. I would suggest moving it or making a new post at the "Back and Neck Surgery" sub-heading which is located under the "Treatment" section. I think you will then get many more replies. I know there are a number of people currently on the board who just underwent surgery for cervical issues.

I'm a lumbar spiney so can't really offer much to you, except for empathy. I am sorry you were injured at work. How awful.

Usually people reply right away...so try moving to the new location.

xx Gwennie
  • I was in a similiar position. In November of 2006, I had a mountain bike crash, hitting my head on a tree, compressing my spine and leaving me laying paralyzed from the neck down on the trail by myself for about an hour. I recovered function and was able to walk out afterwards, but was left with severe myeopathy for weeks. The doctors told me I had 3 ruptured discs and had severe spinal stenosis and that I should be wearing a C collar because any fall could leave me paralyzed or dead. That scared me, but I was more scared of surgery. For almost 3 years I dealt with horrible pain as I tried to stay active and bike. I started having some numbness in my feet about 2 months ago. I decided it was time for surgery.

On July 16th, I had a 2 level fusion via anterior cervical spinal fusion (I was only symptomatic on 2 levels). I was terrified of surgery. THe surgery took about 3 hours and when I woke up the pain was gone. I've felt great since and one week after the surgery my doc cleared me to resume all normal activity. I started riding my mountain bike again last week and it feels incredible. I can't believe I put up with pain so long when the relief was so easily obtained. I have a great doctor!

Bob