Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

activities after scs implant

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Pain Management
Hi all...I've been lurking here for a while and enjoyed all the good info this site has to offer..I have a couple questions that I have not come accross (or missed)..I have had 2 back surgeries, last one 2 level fusion. I am a golfer and had my 1st pain free (tolerable pain) last year and was amazed as i have not felt that good since a couple years before my surgeries. My surgeries were in 2006 and 2007. This past winter pain returned with a vengance..Feet ach all the time and back is intolerable most days. Used a few meds (vicodin) but did very little for the discomfort I haave. I jumped through all the hoops for the scc implant and I am scheduled to have the permanent implant on thursday (Restore Advanced Neurostimulator by Medtronics). I am not getting the paddle leads..Now to my questions.

1. Has anyone had this procedure and returned to golf with any problems of lead movement after the 3 month down time for recovery

2.does anyone have this particular unit and how do you like it.

3. I was told they will be using a general anestetic (sp sorry). How exactly does this work since you have to be awake when they test leads? What kind of medicine will they use for this..

Thanks in advance...Would appreciate some quick responses as I have 2 days until procedure.

• Awe come on..Certianly there are some golfers out there
  • Well I guess no one plays golf, has a Restore Advanced Neurostimulator by Medtronics or had an SCS implanted under general anesthetisia here...Even so this is a very informative site...Guess I'll keep trying to search for these answers....
  • Hi Steeler-guy. I can only answer one of your three questions, but that's better than none I guess! I have only golfed three or four times in my life. I think my clubs will be going into our next yard sale. My SCS is the Precision model by Boston Scientific. I had the surgery for the permanent one about 2 1/2 weeks ago.

The only question I can answer is about the anesthesia. You will be kept at the level of consciousness that is needed during the different parts of the procedure. At the beginning when you need to be able to respond to the questions about where you feel the stimulation you will be kept comfortable, but able to answer. After the leads are where they need to be you will be put further under and not remember much, if anything about it. I don't remember being rolled over and moved to the recovery room. Yikes!! I always feel bad for anyone that has to move me around like that!

After two and a half weeks I can say I am glad that I got the permanent one. It's so nice not to have most of my leg and back pain. Now the hardest part is remembering not to bend, lift, twist, etc. since I am feeling better!

Good luck with your surgery. And I hope you get your other questions answered soon!

• Thanks Diane-

I am looking forward to getting this in place..Trial went amazingly well..I'll get my other questions answered tomorrow before procedure but was hoping to get some first hand knowledge from someone that plays golf so I could have a little knowledge prior to talking with my PM.. Have a great day.

• I did this last Monday.

I have the restore advanced and have no problems at all with it. The unit is slightly larger than the Ultra from what I understand, but it functions fine.

They prep you and use what they call "twilight" anesthetics, They will put you to sleep and wake you up to locate the lead. My cervical lead is perfectly placed, better then the trial!

I remember NOTHING after being taken into the surgery room and the first few minutes. Depends on the exact facility and doctors as to what your memory span will be. Some anesthtics block memory retention, so I did wake up and tell them things. I don't remember it and really do not care to! My first memory is in the second recovery area when my wife came back. I was at the facility at 7:00 am checkin and home by 12:30 pm. Even stopped at a drivethrough to get lunch on the way home.

As for restrictions, I believe after you get through restrictions your doctor places on you after placement you will be able to try golfing again. I have been told my abilities will be up to me and my body, no restrictions from the actual SCS at all.

My doctor places a lot of restrictions for six weeks, seems every doctor and every case is different.

We honestly can't tell you what your doctor will decide or what your body will tell you!!!

It's also best not to expect instant answers on forums. I have cut way back on my visits, I am discovering I feel worse after visiting here with all the pain and anxiety being expressed here. I try to only come once a day at most.

This place is great, to much of a great thing can be, well, too much!!!
  • Thanks Wrambler..Great info...I am very optimistic this will work..Trial gave so much relief I really hated to take it out (but had to get a warm shower..thats what sucks the most). If you are available before tomorrow, where did you place your battery unit?..I know it needs to be under belt line and I am thinking of the front basically because I use my rear to much..sitting, sleeping, wallet, etc. Also did you have to try a few different locations for the lead when they placed it permantly..I know exactly where I need the impulses to be from my trial experience...Thanks again for your time...I have noticed that this forum (as great as it is) does lag a little in getting answers. I guess I should of asked questions a little sooner than two days before procedure..Also I have to stay the night (23 hour stay) which I guess my insurance covers this which probably explains the overnight stay...Take care
  • My ipg is in my right hip just to the rear of being directly on the side. I think it will eventually be OK, but, I asked for it to be in the front! They told me that was fine and when I awoke it was where it is! So you may assume that I am pissed about that part!

I don't think you want it right on the beltline, but, that is pretty much where mine is and it is still sore at 10 days, expect from other people for it to remain so for a couple of months or so.

It took three tries to place my trial lead. My PM told my sife that he got it first try this time, I really do not remember! I do have better coverage this time then the trial so I am happy about that. I have one lead and can even get coverage on both arms now though I only need the right one having it on both sides helps cover my back better.

I realy want a shower, my staples will be out tomorrow!
    I am also weening off my pain meds so that has me a little out of sorts too.
  • That will be so nice to get your staples out. Guarantee that you will feel a ton better almost instantly!

No worries about being out of sorts due to reducing your pain meds. That's to be expected and perfectly okay.

You should be able to do just about whatever you feel you want to once your SCS has scarred into place. The limitations will be more from your actually physical condition more so than your SCS. I would run again if my spine could tolerate it, because my SCS does so well with my pain. My body can't tolerate the running but the SCS could. I did not give up scuba diving when I got my SCS. I modified my routine and equipment a bit, but went back to enjoying something I love to do.

• Thanks for info..Just got back from hospital. Had implant yesterday and Doc wanted to keep me for the night. Surgery was a little more intense than I thought it would be..Took about 45 min to get the leads where I wanted..I remember the whole surgery so I guess I wasn't under very heavy sedation..Anyhow all went great..Doc said he wanted the battery in back so it is below belt line on right side..i have alot more pain in the incisions than I thought I would..Funny how Doc's instructions differ from patient to patient..I can drive as long as implant is off and can shower (best of all) as long as I cover incisions with handy wrap..I use press and seal which works well. I am amazed at the pain relief I am getting and this permanant is alot better coverage than trial..Doc told me the same as you all said..No limitations after 3 months..I can do whatever body allows me..Thanks again for your time and info..Take Care
  • Hi Steeler-guy. Glad to hear that your surgery went well and that your back home. I guess each doctor does the procedure differently since you were awake the whole time! Isn't the pain relief wonderful!? I have had my SCS for 3 weeks. I still have incision tenderness which does get a little less each day. My battery was put in my back, right side, above my belt line.

I had been told that I would set off airline security alarms now that I have the SCS. But I flew last night and went through security with no problem. I had a medical card with me to say what I had implanted, but didn't need it. Hmmm Not sure what that says about security at airports!

After the first day I had no restrictions on driving and none for showering as long as I kept the incisions dry.

Continued good luck with your recovery. Just take it easy and remember no BLT! I found it very difficult to get out of soft, comfy chairs for about 5 days...almost impossible. I'm not sure if that was normal or not. But harder chairs worked much better!

Take care.