Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Failed my drug test today...

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Pain Medications
I am from Michigan. I tried getting a medical marijuana script from my family dr, he would not touch it. I found a dr who would and obtained a script and filed with the state.
There was a local dr just busted for writing oxy scripts to just about anyone. Now they are being very careful and in order to get my last script of oxy I was asked to take a drug test. Well, I failed it because of the weed. My regular pain dr is on a cruise so I was informed by another dr. He said as long as I am unable to pass this test, they cannot legally give me my script for oxy.
I have to talk to my Dr when he gets back. It just seems unfair to me I use medical marijuana for my pain and it is stopping me from getting my meds.
I just had spinal fusion surgery 6 weeks ago. I have enough oxy to get me by for a few weeks but thats it.

• If the state allows it, well, that's a good thing for you, but it IS in most/all pain contracts that you MUST disclose all info about scheduled substances with your PM. This of course includes medical marijuana. I am a CA card carrier and 'failed' to mention it to my PM. I was just using it for sleep, and afraid to lost my pain meds so I kept quiet. They NEVER drug tested anyone, ever, despite being a very nice and profitable practice.

Today, they tested for the first time. I decided to be fully honest, and although they didn't ask at all, I just let them know since the ambien/lunesta/etc/etc ALL failed for my sleep, it was my last ditch effort and brought some success. They basically said 'oh ok, that's fine. How did you afford it?' Lol.. I imagine that illegal drugs with high abuse potential as well as huge negative health effects are a different story, such as cocaine or methamphetamine, but it was SUCH a relief because I was afraid of getting the boot or a hold such as yourself, and thrilled to find that my PM was a ok with the relatively transparent act of consuming marijuana. I don't anymore, but for those that need it, I breathed a sigh of relief.

I can only hope that with time this position on such a neutral medicine/herb spreads within the medical community. I've seen enough of your posts to know you're a smart guy; you've got a couple of weeks of oxy, so all you need to do is NOT smoke at all, and you'll pass in 2 or 3 weeks, and all will be well.

What a bummer, but it sounds like you'll come out of it ok. It's always such a devastating thing though even if it's just a *threat* to something which we rely on so heavily for day to day life. Take care, and good luck.

• Can't your Surgeon give you more pain pills? I can't understand that they think you should be off pain meds already after surgery. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Well thank goodness that you at least have enough of your meds for a little while so you have time to straighten it all out. I honestly dont think this is going to be a huge problem for you when your normal doctor gets back from vacation. It's not like you were firing up a doobie and watching cheech and chong or something. You had a legal prescription for it. I would in the future, however, inform your normal pain doctor of any changes/additions of any medications you get from anywhere. That way it is noted in your chart and wont cause you issues in the future.

• This is really bugging me. My pain Dr and I have a great relationship. I am worried what he is going to say. I knew he would never give me the script.
    My goal here is to get off the pills and use the marijuana to control any pain. I am tired of relying on pills. So close to surgery, I am unable to do so.
    As soon as my Dr gets back, I will talk with him.
  • i thought u said u are using med pot for ur pain. if u are using the pot for pain, why u need oxy's. just use the pot. its really your choice and it sounds like u chose the weed.
    anyway not tryin to be a jerk i hope u get all the pain relief u need. lets be honest weed does work, it helps with pain and also helps u sleep, and u should be able to have weed and pain meds. in my state its still illega, and all i can take is rx pain meds, but they are workin for me thank god.
  • I am still dealing with a lot of post surgical pain. Eventually, I am going to get of the pills completely...
  • Why didn't you discuss your decision to use medical marijuana with your PM when you last saw him? Since that is your choice on how to handle pain, then you could have had that discussion with him , but he may very well view your going to another doctor to get the script if you knew he would not agree with it, as breaking your PM contract with him.
    He will still know that you had a "dirty" screen, so you are going to have to explain yourself anyway. Even if you do pass this upcoming screen, he may not view you going behind his back very well.
    It's too bad that you did things this way, instead of being upfront with him about your choices. I hope that it doesn't come back to bite you in the butt as far as any future pain management goes.
    I'm not trying to give you a hard time, honestly, I am just thinking about how he may view things when he does find out about it. I have a feeling, it's not going to go well.
  • I know my doctor would view that path as "shopping" and I'd have a big ol' boot print on my assets...
  • :? You know, the other posters make a good point. I wasn't really considering it being doctor shopping. I was only thinking about the fact that you had a legal prescription for it and were not smoking pot illegally. Did you sign a pain contract stating you would get no other "pain meds" from other docs? Do you think that your doc would consider this weed a pain med?

• BionicWoman said:
    I know my doctor would view that path as "shopping" and I'd have a big ol' boot print on my assets...

Mine would too........and my "assets" would have a matching boot print as well. We don't have the option of medical marijuana in my state, but my PM wouldn't take too well to my going to another doctor for getting a script for it, even if we did, no matter what my motivations were for it.
  • The substance is irrelevant, really. My pain contract requires I contact him and get prior approval for any additional pain treatments, whether it's drug-based or complementary therapies like acupuncture, biofeedback, or psychotherapy.

The irony is that as strict as my doctor is about these things, I'd be totally shocked if he came out against legalizing medical marijuana if it ever came up for debate here. :))(

• You're right, I didn't mean to imply that medical marijuana was the only med that would need my PM's approval, like yours , mine wants to know about any and all pain meds, in fact, asks about other meds too, just to make sure there is no conflict with any of the pain meds before he writes scripts out.
    I doubt that mine would be anti -mm if it was legal, but at the same time, I have no doubt, he would toss someone out on their kiester if they did what the OP did. I've seen him do it for lesser reasons. :| He's truly one of the good guys, but he doesn't play games either. I don't blame him, he's got a license he needs to keep a roof over his family's head, and food in their mouths. :)
  • I wish medical marijuana would be legalized for pain everywhere. In my state, Massachusetts, it's recently been knocked down from a criminal offense to a civil one. That's a good first step.

I no longer smoke because i started feeling...off when I did it, and for fear of getting busted by the pain contract drug test as well.

I just wish it could be legalized, maybe given in pill form to pain patients.