Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Chronic pain, anxiety and crying

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hi everyone, I am new here and wanted to say hello. I am 44 years old and live with chronic back pain. I also suffer from anxiety and have noticed that as my pain level increases so does my anxiety. Lately I find myself crying several times a day, I am on depression meds. I don't even know why I am crying. Is this common with chronic pain? Will it pass? I wonder sometimes if the medication is causing it???

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. crying can often serve as a release from anxiety. :''( it is a good way to get those feeling out.. if you are on depression meds, perhaps they are not the right ones for you.. talk to your doc about this!! :-C good luck and stop by anytime! :D Jenny :)
  • try to surround yourself with friends and not be alone.That has helped me a little.My doc put me on new meds xanaxs I am getting it filled today.There are lots of meds if one does not work try another.
  • Welcome

some times the pain medications have different effect on people , after taking pain medication see if you mood change. and ask you doctor for a different medication.many people who take pain medication some times the anxiety get worse
  • Hi alisaab I can totally relate to what you are going through. I injured myself at 17 and I am now 25. I can tell you from experience that I too find myself crying, but I know it's from the pain and the frustration that comes along with it. I have tried many anti-depressants throughout the years and currently am not taking any. I have also seen many therapists. The reality of it is that chronic pain is not something that just goes away. There are ways to manage it, but the bottom line is how to cope with it. It's not easy to swallow, but if you can find your own way to accept that things are the way they are and that you will have both good and bad days with the pain than it will be a lot easier. My first advice would be to get away from any people in your life who are not supportive of what you are going through. I have tried taking up a few different hobbies (as it is very difficult for me to work out) and keep myself occupied as much as possible when I'm not at work. If you feel that you are not on the right medication than you should talk to your doctor. I wish you the best of luck and if you need anything we are all here for you.
  • I have felt the same way you have- chronic pain is no picnic. My doctors put me on Cymbalta for my nerve pain and it also helps my mood. Maybe it could help with your depression since it's an antidepressant. And it's so normal to have crying spells or feeling of despair when you hurt all the time. I miss out on a lot of things and it makes me feel useless. Simple chores are magnified and they get harder and harder to perform. I feel like I went from abled bodied to disabled overnight when I first herniated 2 discs in my lower back. This is a wonderful community to be a part of since we all relate to each other and understand how the pain impacts our daily life. I hope you are able to get over this bout of depression and feel better again. There is help for your pain and it's up to your doctors to figure out what will help you. Hang in there and take care
  • Hi all, my 41 year-old girlfriend has 3 herniated discs,lower back, like the above person, Pembroke. She's in big pain, spends all day in bed except to eat, etc. She's been on painkillers, most of which are ineffective, one which was somewhat effective but was harsh to her stomach and caused extreme itching. She can't do physical therapy due to the pain. She's been to 2 doctors, at the time when they determined she had 1 herniated disc, and they said to take pain killers and go to physical therapy. She did that for a year. No luck. We'd love to know what others have done in this situation. Depression has set in, as you can imagine, along with the physical pain, so the idea of going on like this for years is not an option. She's been on various depressants, with degrees of success, but also unwanted side effects. She's been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and has carpal tunnel.Your thoughts and feedback would be HUGELY appreciated. Seeking a highly experienced skilled physician...
  • Not to long ago I found myself weeping for no good reason and I am a happy person dispite the savage pain I suffer with 24/7. I am not depressed.
    But ya know what? I felt better after I had a good ole cry! It is so unlike me to cry for no reason that I can see but I just guess I needed to "clean house" as someone said.
    So go ahead and weep and do not feel bad for it. You are normal!!
    May the sun always shine on you...
    Patsy W
  • Allisaab,
    That link between anxiety and the perceived increase in pain is important and the key may be to identify what is making you more anxious and work towards decreasing those opportunities.

Continual pain will eventually make everyone cry and I would be more surprised if you were not emotional by all these events and letting it out if far more preferable than holding it all in. that is good advice to align with people who are supportive and encourage you, search them out and keep them close. We all learn something from these periodic episodes and perhaps the key is not to let them develop into something bigger than it need be, by monitoring and early intervention.

Again your medication should help with your mood and after a reasonable time review how you are doing and change your strategy accordingly. Change is a good thing and if your current plan is not working change it, we all become more adaptable and accepting of a new approach and the biggest restrictor not changing.

As said you are the same as us all trying to get through every day.

Good luck and take care.

This discussion has been closed.