Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

When do you feel nerve pain the most post op?

rolorrolo Posts: 52
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Had to ask this one... when do you feel the nerve pains the worst?
I had a MicroD March 12, 2009. I am pretty much pain free all the time, but there are a couple things I do that cause immediate (and time delayed) nerve pain. Those are:
Driving too long causes delayed piriformis sciatic pain, sometimes it's immediate while sitting too, pushing to go to the bathroom (#2) causes immediate sciatic pain (anything with stomach tightening as in lifting too much) and that's about it. Walking makes me feel 100%.

What do you do that causes nerve pain to get worse? Anyone else have the problem with #2 if you had to push causing sciatic pain?

• About a week after surgery my nerve pain came back but it wasn't as bad as it was pre-op. And ever since then it has been less and less. I am 4.5 weeks out from surgery now. It hurt to go #2 before my surgery but not now. A lot of things that caused nerve pain before surgery no longer cause pain for me. I accidentally twisted the other day and now I am feeling some burning sensations in my thigh, which I had before surgery.
  • I am 16 weeks out, and I started to feel nerve pain after I started PT at 5 weeks, although I did have some burning about 2 weeks after. I also have sciatica, and piriformis issues, which I stretch 3 times a day, and hamstring stretches for the sciatica which helps. Do you hurt to sit in the "sit bone" area, at the crease of your upper thigh, and buttox? Mine is awful there!! Also, walking can make me hurt, then it works out.

Lami, and Foraminotomy L5 S1 Jan.15th,2009 Bone sitting right on S1 nerve.
  • it takes time for the nerves to heal. you are still very recently post op. it can take up to a couple of years, even. i had a nerve impinged so bad my right foot was useless && lost all strength. it showed an immediate change right after surgery, in the recovery room, but i still had nerve pain for the first 6 months or so. it just recently has nearly entirely cleared up. the instances you are describing are common occurrences. just keep faith that your nerves are still going through the healing process (:
  • I have a very different story than yours, but during all of my stuff I could always recreate my leg pain by bearing down to have a bowel movement. That pain was relieved during a surgery to remove hardware. Your story makes me wonder if you have some compression.

What is most important is if you have discussed this with your doc. Does he feel this is just nerves recovering? Does he take you seriously? If you don't feel like he takes you seriously, then you can always get a 2nd opinion. If you haven't talked to your doc, you need to. It obviously must bother you or you wouldn't have posted this. Please discuss with your doc and if not feel comfortable with answers, it never hurts to seek another opinion from an outside doc.
  • Its been a year since my surgery and sometimes I still get a few what I call twitches. Yes, bowel movements bothered me majorily and still sometimes do. these are different things that would GET ON MY NERVES:

stretching to get something out of the high cupboards
    sitting too long
    driving would make my right big toe hurt
    sleeping in one position. I have to constantly roll over or my right leg will bother me
    different types of shoes. I haven't tried yet to wear my dress shoes but I have to keep wearing tennis shoes or my feet feel like I just jumped off something high
  • most after sitting. Seems to be a common refrain here, doesn't it? Walking, hiking, housework make me feel pretty good. Also, although I have no instrumentation, low pressure systems bring on more pain. Weird.
  • Does the pain happen and quickly disappear or does it happen (say, when you sit for a long time) and stick around a few days and only get better when you DONT stand?