Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Did you need someone to drive you after cervical injections?

sagehenssagehen Posts: 221
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Spinal Injections
I'm scheduled to have cervical injections the end of the month.Did any of you need someone to drive you home after?And the big one,do they hurt?I've had the lumbar ones.But the neck just seems a tad touchy to me!How did they do for any of you? I've had 2 cervical fusions and will do anything to avoid another! Appreciate your time and info!

• An acdf may be in my future too...I've already had 2,so I'd like to try and avoid another one if possible.How are you doing? Take things easy...thanks for the info. Sagehen
  • I've had ten shots over the past two years and did not have to have a driver. I was watched for about an half hour after and then sent on my way. My shots
    (relief) only lasted a couple of days but it was worth it.
  • I'm going to be scheduled to have cervical facet blocks. I have had the SI joint one and did need a driver as my right leg was numb. Most paperwork will state that from the Dr that is performing them, they would rather you have a driver.
    Some ppl get numbness , some don't. Depends on how much of the numbing agent is used, and the person.
    To be on the safe side, call your dr. You should already have the paperwork with you. And bring someone to the appt.
    I only had stinging/burning/pressure with the intial shot. Then the meds it was just alot of pressure like a elephant on your back, no pain.. Just bruised feeling for a few days.
    Some ppl will tell you different as we all react differently to pain issues.
    I certainly may also after I have it done LOL
    Good luck
  • You definitely need a driver. After one epidurhal my entire leg was numb, my husband even had to carry me into the house. Are you having a nerve block or a steroid epidurhal injection?
    Faith M
  • I think epidurhals are done in the lumbar area. But I did have nerve blocks done in my cervical area and everything seized up so tight. There's no way I could've driven home. Good luck, let us know how it goes.
    Faith M
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
    If you check with the majority of the folks, you will see that having a driver to take you home is required.
    The actual ESI procedure should take between 15 and 25 minutes to perform under a sterile operating room environment, doctor, nurses and a fluoroscope that will permit the doctor to properly insert the needle to inject the cortisone. Then you will be wheeled into a recovery room where you might stay anywhere from 15 minutes to a couple of hours. They will provide you with some light snack and drink (most of the time soda). Then you vitals will be taken and assuming they are fine, you will be released so that your driver can take you home.
    ESI's are done in the three major spinal areas:

Under normal conditions, you will be sore the first night, mainly in the injection area and it could take a couple of days before you see any relief.
    If you read the category area here regarding spinal injections you will get almost a 50/50 split in people that had luck with these injections and those that did not.
    Many times, it can take up to three injections before relief is realized. Some doctors and insurance companies will only allow 3 ESI's per year.

Spine-Health provides detailed articles and videos
    for Spinal Injections

Spinal Injections

Spinal Injection Video
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Drivers are also needed for validating insurance...or at least that what the doc said!

What I mean is You will invalidate your car insurance if you drive within ___ period of ceratin medical procedures. This varies to each procedure, so be acreful.

Good Luck