Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SCS - how long to recover after permanent implant

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Pain Management
My pain doc suggested that I might be a good candidate for spinal cord stimulation to deal with my back and leg pain that never goes away. I was wondering that if the trial was a success and I got the permanent implant, how long might I be off work? So - I'm curious for other folks' experiences on how long it took for the implant wound to heal and how long the docs said it might take (realizing that the two might not be the same). Thanks!

• 2 days is quick, 6 weeks is long.

A LOT depends on your case and you doctor! Everyone here seems to get different levels of restrictions. Everyone here seems to have a doctor that is absolutely sure they are using the correct procedures!!!

I had my staples out this am, yay! Shower! yay! My PM told me to stay of till he sees me in two more weeks if at all possible. He said he would release me for desk work, but only if I promised him it was going to present a financial hardship and I was out of paid time off. I don't try to lie and I have just enough time to cover that, so I am off at least till the 28th! so, 24 days off for me.

Mine is a cervical Precutaneous lead and the Mectronics Advanced. I am ten days out of surgery today, my hip is the sorest place on my body! Back incision is fine unless riding in a car, then corners make it hurt when it rubs against the seat. My hip currently is so sore I can't wear anything but a few pair of very loose pants my wife bought for me after surgery. I can't get a single pair of pants I owned before surgery on and wear them right now. I tried before the appt this morning... Means I would have to buy some more cargo type loose fitting pants to return to work now. I've been through to much to push this. If I was out of sick time I would buy a couple of pair and go back to a light duty job. No BLT, No lifting or reaching overhead.

Honestly, you can read a lot of info here, but, You are going to have to work this out with your doctors and make up your own mind on how to respond!

Following doctors advice is usualy advisable. I am so confused by everything I have read here, I am just asking my doctors questions based on what I have read. It has not changed my doctors orders at all...YMMV
  • I am now waiting for my permanent implant. My trial was a huge success. I was sore and still am a tiny bit from the trial. I would not work during the trial. You are going to have cords dangling from your back with the controle on the end of it.
    Recovery time for the perrmanent implant is 6 to 8 weeks. You need that time for the surgery sites to scar over and heal so the leads will not slip out of place. Scaring holds them in place. You will also be limited on what you can do. No reaching or bending or twisting. Also can't pick up anything over 5 lbs.
    You will be in pain but that pain fades in time and they will give you medication for it.
    It's important that you follow your Doctors orders closely. The SCS implant is a wonderful thing...it is for me.
    Best of luck to you.
    Patsy W
  • I have a PrecisionPlus from Boston Scientific. I have paddle (surgical leads) and they work better for the pain that I have. Im on restriction for 4-6 weeks, the BLT rule. I have to where a cervical collar for about 4 weeks. They had to do a laminotomy to put the leads in. Im still in pain but Im only taking my meds about 2-3 times a day instead of every 4 hrs. Im almost just on tylenol and motrin but not quite. Im 10 days out from surgery and Im doing good. It takes time to heal from something liek this so take care of yourself and take it easy. The place that hurt the worse for me was my neck. Oddly enough my IPG (battery) site didnt hurt at all. Now it just itches like crazy from the wound healing