Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Artificial discs

debbie276ddebbie276 Posts: 12
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Lower Back Pain
Does anyone have an artificial disc ?

• I have an artifical disc at L4/L5 and fusion. It's been 6 months and I am great. I have an ENDOSKELETON TA disc and cannot believe the relief it gave. I would do it again if needed.
  • Hi,

I am guessing that your fusion is at a different location if you have the artificial disc at L4-L5? How did you go about getting the artificial disc approved by your insurance company? And where did you have the surgery done? If my L5-S1 re-hearniates I might be in a position to get an artificial disc also so very interested in the details. Also, what was the surgery like, how long in hospital, recovery period, etc...

Thanks for any info you can provide.
  • No i don't have and i wish nobody feel a need for it
  • My surgery was just last Thursday morning. My hospital stay was 36 hours. It was only supposed to be 24 hours but my blood pressure was extremely low, they got it to come back up but wanted to monitor it to make sure it stayed up. It is too early to tell how successful this artificial disc is. My doc says it will be 2 to 3 months before we know for sure if this is a success. I have Cigna and they approved the ADR immediately. Had they not approved it, we would have gone with a fusion. So far I feel pretty good, obviously sore but feeling pretty good.
  • Pammie, thanks for the update. Glad to hear that everything is O.K. so far! Was this a Charite disc or some other manufacturer? I have been reading alot about ADR and it looks like it could be a much better alternative than fusion for alot of us. Please let us know how you are progressing whenever you get a chance.

• My Dr. only uses Prodisc, that is what I have. My Dr. said there is certain criteria one has to meet to be a candidate for ADR. The two main ones are age and no arthritis in the area that the artificial disc is going into. He tends to like to do the ADR in his "younger" patients he said if I was in my 60's or older, he would have just done the fusion. I am 42 yrs. old, based on my age, he expects me to do great with the ADR. I will post periodically with updates as to how I am doing.
  • Pammie, thanks for the info. I too am 42 years old, and I have never been told that I have arthritis in my back. So, hopefully that would make me a candidate. I have heard that since the ADR is such a new process that they don't really know the lifespan yet. But I told my surgeon that I wouldn't care if it only lasted 10 years, or 20 years, or whatever, if they were GOOD years. You could get the fusion done at that time, or possibly get a new ADR again. Kind of like replacing the motor mounts in a car!
  • That was my thinking as well. If I could get 10+ good years out of the ADR without putting added strain on my other discs as the fusion does, I will be happy with that. And yes they can go in at any time and remove the ADR and fuse. Good luck to you! ;)
  • Dr zucherman in SF ca did mine 1-20-08.I stayed 3 days.They dont tell you your stomach will sleep or not be normal for a long time.Mine hurts still. I had horrible pain in my left leg.It was the worst pain I have everhad and have had 2 kids natural and one c-section.It sucked.I did walk about 24 hours after surgery even on stairs.I was at home in bed for about 3 weeks only getting up to shower and move around.I drove at 3 weeks post op.Twisting and bending over still hurt bad.My insurance was work com p and they are jerks.I waiting 5 yrs for surgery now they will not approve phy therapy was is a key to improvment.I do not know if if was a good or bad choice.If you need more questions ask me lisaschu34@yahoo.com by the way i was 35 when mine was replaced at levelL3-L4
  • i am doing well but i still have the right nerve pain in the leg. had it done at l4-5. its been a very long hard recovery probaly not helped by my trying to hurry it along. had some set backs. however i can function and do pretty much normal activities as long as i take my meds , naps and take it easy. no lifting over 40 pounds just because i am not used to that anymore. i get muscle spasms due to the disc is taller than it should have been . i was in between sizes like in the clothing stores as a teenage. hahahahh. feel free to pm me if you have questions.
This discussion has been closed.