Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

4 weeks post-op L4/L5 fusion, A good story :)

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had L4/L5 posterior fusion 4 weeks ago yesterday. I am returning to work on Monday as a 6th grade teacher. To be honest, I was terrified of reading all the stories about how horrible this surgery was. I spent 4 days, 3 nights in the hospital and when I came home, I really didn't think I would ever get better. By the end of week 1, I felt like a different person. The nerve pain was gone, I was able to sleep and start moving around. I really think the key was getting up. It is so easy to just lay/sit all the time. The more I walked the better I felt. I am up to 3 miles a day and feel wonderful. The only problem I still have is pretty bad nerve pain in my feet at night. Even on a neurontin (sp?) I still have problems falling asleep, once I'm asleep I sleep almost 10 hours! Did anyone else have this problem with their feet? It just started last week.

I know before my surgery, it was hard to find a positive post, so I just wanted to give my support to those who are preparing for this surgery!

• I'm so happy to read your story! My scheduled date for L4/L5 TLIF is June 9th. On Mother's Day, I met a sister of a friend who had the same surgery; same neuro; same hospital; same age as me, and had wonderful results too. :)))
    I realize everyone is different, and recovery is different also. Please continue to let us know how you are doing with returning to work as well.

• Just don't over do it! Most people will have a period of time where they feel wonderful (or at least better) than before surgery. That can lead to a false sense of security. Just remember you are still healing and are a bit fragile still. I hope you continue to heal and stay out of pain!

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • Welcome to the forum my dear. I'm so glad to hear you are feeling better and your road to recovery sounds good. Keep up the good work!

Evelyn :H
    Had PLIF in 2008 and a Laminectomy. One level fusion, L4-L5.
  • for coming back and telling us that you are having a POSITIVE result! We all appreciate that because so many that start feeling better, start living normal (more busy) lives and you can't blame them for doing that, but they end up disappearing and we don't know their outcome. In the meantime, many who have had fusions are here dealing with pain and still searching for an "answer" to why they are not feeling better. The impression is that fusions DON'T work based on the overall forum impression.

Congrats again and please take it easy like EMS Guy stated. I'd give it a good year before resuming any real challenging exercises. :)