Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Glucosamine or Natural/Herbal Supplements

NumbskullNNumbskull Posts: 1,526
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:31 AM in Alternative Treatments
Hi there;

I was just wondering how effective glucosamine is for OA and other joint problems. Also, are there any other herbal or all natural supplements out there that help? I've also wondered about the Q-Ray bracelet - how much of it is power of suggestion, or does it really physically work? Thanks!!
Kelly
APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
advertisement

Comments

• Glucosamine chondroitin has been studied for a number of years and has been proven both safe and effective. Many rheumatologists recommend it for patients who have arthritis. Mine said they weren't positive it helped, but it certainly cannot hurt, and it does help with pain.

Many people swear by Zyflamend (by New Chapter). It is a combination of 10 herbs. It is widely prescribed by many doctors for inflammation. It is available at many on-line stores. I'm not sure which stores might carry it -- maybe a health food store? In my opinion, it would be worth a try.
  • Thanks for the info Gwennie!!! Much appreciated!!
    Kelly
  • what is in Zyflamend? I am trying ginger tablets. I am tired of aleve and advil. does anyone know anything about ginger? also heard that tumeric was a great anti inflammatory.
  • hi kkubsky, :H turmeric is a great anti-inflammatory. =D> i take several a day as part of my pain regiment.. :D i include Glucosamine daily. there are many vitamins and supplements you can take to help clean the liver of medications, ease joint pain, and strengthen joints and ligaments. =D> let me know if you are interested.. good luck as you try alternative therapies. :D Jenny
  • I'm interested!!! :H Any info would be great!!!
    Kelly
  • i am very interested in a natural inflammatory. i am guessing that when taking tumeric one cannot also take nsaids?????
  • Hi Jenny
    Pls email me at lyndamanoa@yahoo.com regarding this.
    Thanks
    Lynda
  • I haven't gotten the whole story but my sister was at the ortho the other day for wrist pain. They said she had a condition that was somehow binding up the tendons in her wrist.

Doc told her Glucosomine was the worst thing to take. Not sure if this is just because of what she has or in general.

My husband and I have both had shoulder and knee surgeries. We are 44 and 50 and feel like we should be 70. We both prefer to use external remedies as much as possible. A hot shower is great or a heating pad. There is definately a hot tub in my future.

Too often the so called safe or harmless medicines and supplements are later recalled. With all of the drugs I have to take I am very careful about adding anything else.
  • Glucosamine was never helpful for me, my mom has taken it for years (shoulder problems & OA). She says she doesn't realize how much it helps her until she stops taking it. Then her pain is much greater. She's a nurse & says it's safe to use. Of course, every day they change their minds as to whether drinking coffee or a glass of wine every day is good or bad for you.
    Jay
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,059
    I've been taking that supplement for almost 10 years now. All my doctors have always given me the green light on it and have said that it will help.
    The first time I started using it, it took about 3 months before I noticed any difference. I take it on a regular basis.
    Now the Q-Ray bracelets. I am now on my third one... Each one has lasted me about 2 years. Wear them all the time, in the pool, in the hot tub, etc.
    Do the match their claim to fame????
    Heck no, but I did notice less of a strain when I had it on my hand I was using my mouse with. I did some testing with and without it, left hand, right hand and it did make a difference at the end of a week using a mouse 8-10 hours per day.
    But still overall, I just like the style of the Q-Rays...
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I did notice that one part gives me cramps and gas. I was told it is probably the Chondroitin part.

Ron - Swap hands with the mouse. I use it lefty at work and right at home. I switch back and forth. I'm almost as good lefty as righty with a mouse now.
  • My Mother got me a stocking stuffer a mousepad with a wrist support and she got it at the dollar store. I'm lost without it. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • My primary doctor is an OD, so we are always trying to use the body and natural remedies to help. Along with retrospondylolisthesis and stenosis I also have some problems with my shoulder and occasionally my elbow. 4 years ago I started taking Glucosamine/Chondrontin daily for my elbow and shoulder. I noticed after a period of time that the pain subsided, whereas straight Ibuprofen didn't do much. So, after some time, I just stopped taking it as things seemed to be ok. WRONG. Shoulder started acting up within a week, elbow followed. Back on it and shortly thereafter the pain was gone.

I do not and did not notice any difference with or without glucosamine and how my back feels, which always hurts. Perhaps it is different for others. I have also heard about people experiencing increased cholesterol when tested and taking glucosamine. I have not had any increase, so perhaps this is particular to the person.
advertisement