Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need Help.

hisbeauty4asheshhisbeauty4ashes Posts: 182
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
Hi my friends here.

I had a sudden trauma through my upper back last Tuesday at 5:30am that I felt like I was having a heart attack that I had to call 911 cause I could not move the pain was so crippling and over whelming. The ambulance came and picked me up and took me to the Hospital they took blood tests and found my Pancreas was inflamed and that they may have been the cause. Then they had a GI doc come in and run a test and low and behold my stomach lining was bleeding it was like gee what in the heck is all this going on with me! Then the doctor thought I am going to do an MRI test on her and see just by chance if T4 is out in her spine it is hardly likely it would be but we will do it that anyway. Well low and behold my T 4 was out and he said it was protruding my lung. I was like what, and what does that mean? He said, if I rested for a few weeks it should stay in place and heal.

I could not make much sense out of this doctor and I asked him a million questions I felt I was not getting them answered.

Can you please help me.I felt like the pain went through my back and into my chest and stomach and I could not breath and it was the worst pain I ever experienced! I never want to experience it eve again.

Can someone Please explain to me what is a T4 I am looking some of it up and can it really heal itself? What are the chanced this will ever happen again?

I just can not believe this is happening.

• Thanks for responding.

My Pancreas went back to normal some how something inflamed which could have been Iberophane.As far as the stomach bleeding along the walls of my stomach had been going on for awhile I believe it was from all the meds they had been giving me for my back. They gave me a medication to protect the lining of stomach called, Carafate that I take before every meal.

The T 4 situation I had never heard of before it came on and did not stop for three days I thought I was going to die it last that long. I still feel like I got shot in the middle of my back through my chest and stomach. The Doc told me it is possible stress caused by me carrying all my weight in the center of my back from the fusions in my lumbar spine and the all the fusions in my neck.I hope that helps I am clueless myself and need more info anyone have info?

• I was going to write a post on something very similar to what you experienced on Tuesday, but I was going to wait unless it happened again. I think it's time I posted what I've been experiencing, since reading your post!

I have had about 5 incidents, VERY similar to what you have described here, since my injury and surgery in November 2008.

At first, I thought it might be from the upper part of my brace being too tight. But, I have had these episodes with my brace off. The second episode happened when I was sitting up and I was drinking a soda at the time. I thought maybe the chest pain was indigestion from the carbonation in the soda, so I have stopped drinking anything that is carbonated. The three other episodes happened when I was either laying down or sitting up. I can't put a finger on what is causing these INTENSE pains. When I had the first two episodes, I almost had my father and husband call 911. These episodes come on very suddenly and like you said... the pain is excrutiating. It feels like you are having a heart attack, although I do not have any heart problems or have ever had a heart attack.

What happens with me... is my right jaw starts to suddenly ache and then the pain travels to my right ear. After about 30 seconds, I get this crushing pain in my chest. The pain is all across my breast bone and it lasts about 2 minutes. When the pain reaches my chest area, the pain in my jaw and ear completely go away. Again, it is the most horrible (crushing) pain and it lasts about 2 to 3 minutes.

I had an appointment last Thursday with my PM doctor. I told her about these episodes and she wants me to document when I first had them and to start documenting any other episodes I might have. She wants me to bring this to the attention of my Neurosurgeon, when I see him in June. If these happen to get more frequent in nature or last longer than 3 minutes, I will get in to see my Neurosurgeon before June and I won't hesitate to call 911... if the pain doesn't go away.

I had so much trauma to my spine from my fall... and 90% of it was thoracic. I don't know if this is part of the healing process, but will certainly ask my Neurosurgeon. I get all sort of weird pains, as the thoracic area is connected to just about everything internal.

These episodes are very scary... I don't want to have another one. The last episode I had was last Monday afternoon.

After reading your post, I think I will call my Neurosurgeon if I get another episode before I see him in June. I have had a loss of appetite for about 2 weeks. Two weeks ago I either had a stomach flu or ate something that didn't agree with me. I was up all night throwing up and had to call my PM to get something to calm the nausea, as I couldn't hold water or my oral medicines down. Talk about agony... OMG. Throwing up with my painful back was horrible. Then, to not be able to hold my pain meds down... well, I was in bad shape. The PM called me in some suppositories which stopped me from throwing up, thank God. I would have been at the ER, had those not worked. Ever since that stomach episode, my appetite has been zilch. I drink a lot of water, munch on saltines and crave soup. I will eat some of what we have for dinner, but not much.

I will be interested in hearing what you find out during your research. I have tried to find information online, as well... but have come up short.

ANY input from our spiney family is very welcomed. :''(

I will be praying this was an isolated incident for you.

Did they give you any meds for your pancreas? How long will it be swollen and do you need to follow-up with the GI? Did they say what caused the swelling in the pancreas? What about the bleeding from your stomach lining... how are they treating that? Also, did they say what might have caused the bleeding? Your tummy must be very, very sore and tender. The T4 protruding your into your lung is scary! Did they say how that may have happened?

I am so sorry for bombarding you with all of these questions, but I am truly concerned about you. I know exactly how you felt with the chest and back pain and I sure hope this doesn't happen again.

• Thank you for your reply.

How is your back and chest pain doing? I hope the medicine for your stomach is helping.

I have been trying to find info on the T4 area and will keep looking. As soon as I talk to my Neurosurgeon, I'll be sure to let you know what he says. My appointment isn't until June 9th.

It really does make sense with what your doctor told you, regarding carrying all of your weight in the thoracic area due to your fusions. I'm in the process of trying to heal everything that was damaged and repaired in my thoracic area...it takes a long time. My first indication that it was going to take a long time to recover, is when I was quickly approved for Long Term Disability until December 31st, 2009. That right there... told me I was in for a long haul. I'm really thankful to have income until the end of the year, but at the same time... I can't help but wonder just how long it's going to take me to fully recover? (I try not to think about that and take each day as it comes).

Best wishes to you on getting through your chest and back pain, as quickly as possible. I really do empathize with you, Jeanie. It is really, really painful. I wear a lot of heating wraps on my back, ribcage and chest area. Don't know if you have tried these, but they help me a lot.

• Hi Tammy,

Thanks for the response. I have tired those as well anything to take the pain away. All last night and today I was dealing with lower back pain. Then I had an interesting thing happen. All day today I have been having like major pain in my right collar bone that is sharp and like needles with any kind of movement, I am like what the heck is this now! I am praying for a miracle in all of our bodies. I also deal with Restless legs and let me tell you that is no fun either.I hope you feel better as well and and things start looking up for you.