Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Worsening Neuropathic Pain 8 weeks Post Op

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
Hi All

Sorry, this is going to be long. Here's my history:

In 1995 I suffered a 'crush fracture to the upper half of the T12 with anterior wedging and accosicated angulation. There was minimal disc bulging and an anterior schmorl's node. The CSF space was obliterated focally at this level. The cord was normal' Furthermore, there was 'a very obvios disruption of all the posterior elements at the site of the fracture. (MRI Report 25/04/95)

This injury was corrected by having pedicle screws inserted at the T12 and L1. A spinal fusion was performed from the T12 to the L1

Over the past year my back pain had been getting worse, and it was suspected that the screws in my spine were becoming loose. I was suffering from moderate back pain, and mild altered sensations in my legs, such as numbness, pins & needles, weakness etc...I had surgery on March 24 to have the screws removed. I saw my neurosurgeon on May 7th and I mentioned the leg pain (saddle area wasn't affected at that point) so he ordered an MRI for further investigation of my neuropathic pain. He suspects to find some mild cord damage from the initial injury. My MRI is scheduled for May 27th.

Over the past week or so, my 'saddle' area and leg sensations have gotten worse to the point where it is making it difficult for me to walk. I have called to see if I could get my neurosurgeon to see if he could get my MRI date brought forward, but was unsuccessful. My GP has given my Percocet to 'take the edge off' and I am continuing to take Epilim for the nerve pain.

Is it possible to have gotten Cauda Equina Syndrome from the spinal anaesthesia used during the surgery?

I was thinking of presenting myself to the ER tomorrow to see if they would admit me in order to get the MRI done sooner.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Sneaky P

• Why don't you call your primary asking for the MRI? To go the the er may not do it but I guess you can try if ther's numbness in your saddle area. I don't know why your Surgeon wouldn't order it. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hi Charry

Thanks for your response.

My Neurosurgeon did order an MRI, which is scheduled for May 27th. When I called him to see if he could get me an appointment sooner - even if he had to admit me in order to get it - he said he couldn't do anything. Here in Australia a GP cannot order a specialized test such as an MRI,

So I'm left debating whether I should stick it out until the 27th or go to ER of the hospital that has a MRI ???? Its just the symptoms are getting worse, now when I tilt my head forward I am getting shooting pain in my feet.
  • over 12 months for nerve damage to clear after your operation ..in my case it took 18 months for the nerve pain to subside ..and it still come s to visit me every morning for a few hours!..dont be to dismayed if your pain had gotten worse it could take far longer than you think for your operation to settle ..just be patient and dont rush in to having more unnecessary surgery.keep taking your pain killers and let your body heal