Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

God help me I can't do this again!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
As you can all see by my bio that I have had issues with my lower back for quite awhile now. I get to start my trial on June 4th for my SCS which only works in about 50% of patients so let's hope it works on me. Any ways, for about 2 years I have been having neck pains. It all started when I went to a chiro. (I know I shouldn't have gone but I like my ortho and he promised me my backed wouldn't be cracked.) Well gues what? He cracked my neck and I screamed so loud the lady in the waiting room left. I couldn't move my neck for a week and my headache was so bad I wanted to shoot my self. The pain eventually got better and after a month I felt fine. Then I noticed I started dropping things. Then the shoulder,arm, and hand pain would come alng with the neck pain and headaches. This would last any where from a few days to a few weeks. Now I know what's going on without running any tests and I guess I'm afraid because I don't want Injections , surgerys and all the other crap that probably won't work. (Can you tell I'm in a possitive mood today!! HA HA) My question would be for every one out there is --- Is it normal for people who have had major problems in the lumbar area to have them in the cervical area? I know that we are not doctors, I just want a normal person's opinion on this, and I would be extremely grateful. Don't worry, I know the I will NEED to take care of my neck problems soon. I was just trying to fix my lower back first. Thank's you all for listening!

• I've head cervical problems before lumber. I haven't had spine surgery for anything. Although I may consider microd if offered. Sorry to hear your problem from the chiropractor. I had one neck adjustment and it was my last. I had no idea that was an awful experience. I hope the SCS works for you. I think it's helped alot of people here. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hi Carrie,

I think you should be getting a MRI to see your exact issues. You have to remember at the cervical spine level is the cord unlike the areas you have previously had operated on. It is not typical for lumbar issues to cause cervical issues. Neurological defects are not something to mess with in the cervical spine. Just getting the test done will still allow you to pursue your lumbar issues, as it may rule out something minor that could be treated conservative. While I understand you don't want anymore surgery I think it is important to know for sure what is going on. When you have issues around the cord or that could involve the cord it is more complicated. You don't want to mess around and end with myelopathy which is not reversible. So if it were me I would have the MRI study done so it could be treated accordingly. I suffer from the effects of the permanent damage in the cervical spine and I sure wish work comp wouldn't have played a game getting me the proper treatment. Good luck.
  • Sounds like you need some tests done on your neck,mri or cat scan,could be that your neck is worse than your lower back.If you have a problem area in your spine it puts strain on other areas and wears them down too.I had surgery on my neck and i also have problems with the discs in my mid and lower back as well.
  • I have wondered the same thing. I started having lower back pain after my first surgery. I told the surgeon and he suggested Bad Posture from slouching and adjusting so much from the 1st and 2nd surgeries. Mine has gotten really bad lately, so I am gonna be getting mri and CT of lower back soon. Wish you the best of luck and please keep us updated. Im very interested in what you find out.

• I'm not sure if I qualify as a normal person 8} I have had multiple issues with my lumbar and cervical areas. I have spondylosis and DDD and I've been told my issues are genetic. Was your surgery the result of an accident,or did it just "happen"? It seems many of us have issues with both areas,whether from an accident,arthritis or degeneration etc. I am so sorry for what you're going through. I also have permanent nerve damage at L4/5, I feel your pain. And then neck problems to boot, I understand how hard it is, hang in there. Good luck on June 4th.
    Faith M
  • Sorry to hear that you are in a lot of pain. I had the same experince with my lower back befor i got the mri, he cracked my lower back and i was in horrible pain for about a month.
    recently, i have started to have pain in my cervical area, (middle of back and neck with headachs). My pm doc asked where is the pain worse at i told him my lower back, well needless to say that was that. He did not seem concerened.
  • I had the spine described as a bicycle chain, one kink and the whole chain has an effect.
    I too had terrible neck issues which resolved post first operation in my lumbar region but these neck issues are slowly returning.
    I know they are linked and imh experiience, only dedicated spine professionals recognise the link. All the rest seem to treat each indivdual joing (all 24 lumbar bones) as an individual problem! LOL!

I hope pain away soon.
  • After all the really good advice I decided to talk to my neuro when I see him next month. I know I should have a long time ago but I was being like a stubborn child. I am sick of the needles, tests, meds, operations, etc... I know a lot of people are in the same boat I am and I just need to suck it up like them. Thanks for all the support guys and I'll let you know what happens.